Just a little rant about marketplace slurls

Cindy Evanier

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2099 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

13 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

Na, Bradfort in that case you could harras a store owner by continuously reporting "broken lists" like Dakota fears.

Not if it's just a list with a check box to edit/delete.

If someone thinks they're going to harass me when all I need to do is tick a box and "delete all".

Meanwhile the other person had to go one by one through listings to "report incorrect SLURL" on every one.

Fear mongering to avoid doing anything positive doesn't seem to be a justifiable reason unless the justification is to avoid doing anything positive with benefit.

• Confused 1

On 6/16/2018 at 7:53 AM, Cindy Evanier said:

After a frustrating morning shopping I just want to give a little dig/reminder to merchants.  If you move your store please change the slurl on the marketplace to the demo!

Today I have - landed in someone's house,  underwater, had to search profiles to clues as where the store has gone, fallen out the sky and landed inside a fountain 

Another thing that came to mind because by now I am on the point of giving up and I know it's a marketplace default but "See item in Second Life"  sucks when you actually get there and only find a vendor and no item at all to see (in this case a full perm mesh object)

I would estimate that this happens more than 60% of the time. The worst is when there is NO store at all, which makes you wonder if the product should be purchased.

The only way to stop this bad behavior is to pledge that any merchant who has an outdated SLURL on their product listing will find that a potential buyer simply will not purchase their item.

Another option is to buy the item if you must, but then take a star off automatically for that problem, in the review.

I automatically take a star off for any item not put in "mod". 

If enough people pledge this, perhaps merchants will update their SLURLs.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fionalein said:

Really? And silly me thought they get the SLURL with the notecard that comes with the sample...

LOL  - only in the best of possibly world :D.   

Edited by Chic Aeon
edited the responding to text as I somehow responded to the wrong post

10 hours ago, Fionalein said:

You take a star off for them selling you exactley what you ordered? They sell it "No mod" so no reason to complain about that.

So Donald Trump was elected by an absolute majority of voters. So I guess there's no reason to complain about him? Alrighty.

They need to get market feedback that will persuade them to stop this idiotic, unjustified behavior of putting items in "no-mod".

I'm here to give it to them.

Certain items, especially if you are making a themed build with very specific items needed for it, have to be purchased as is. They may be very pretty or appropriate or whatever.

But no mod is just unnecessary. 

I think that many people who do this have the mistaken idea that it helps prevent copyright theft. That if no one can put their item in edit, they can't steal their design.

Of course that's daft, as rogue viewers that copy things override all permissions. I have no more ability to copy a thing because I can shrink its size or change its colour.

Some people think "no mod" is about "artistic vision". They don't want customers to ruin their vision and don't want to see

But I truly think that is not it -- I think the mistaken notion that "mod" enables copyright theft is at the back of a lot of no-mod decisions.

There's also another practical concern -- some merchants fear that they will get "more" or "too much" customer service if they put a mesh item in mod, somebody enlarges it, and suddenly its land impact increases, sometimes dramatically, and they blame the creator. Of course that's fixed by a note in an info card or just a generic sign in a shop but the fear is what is driving this irrational decision.

Quite a few people make things that are not proportionate to the environment because they really aren't living in SL and making furnished rooms and such, they're just pursuing an idea and making it. So mod is vital to overcome that disproportion.

It's hard to believe an "artistic vision" is destroyed because a pink couch is made a little smaller to fit into a nook and turned green to match other furniture. Truly, it is.

So they get a point off. Some of them start putting things in mod then. I'm not the only one who does this.

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

So Donald Trump was elected by an absolute majority of voters. So I guess there's no reason to complain about him? Alrighty.

Stoppit. He wasn't and it has no relevance to this thread at all. Go make a reddit account like everyone else.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 7/26/2018 at 3:06 AM, Cindy Evanier said:

I am not a blogger, but I know how to search for stores.  On the particular day I started this rant,  I had done that via profiles but got nowhere.  And I didn't give them my L$ after all that.  I am not a big shopper but when I do want something, I want it to be easy to see what I am buying.  I don't do hunts very often either for the same impatient reason :)

I have found this problem in hunts much more frequently lately.  The hunt website gives a SLURL that ends up not being valid.  I then search on store name (assuming it is a hunt that tells you the name of the store - not all of them do) and try to use the associated TP which also is not always valid.  I then try to find an associated store group so that I can get the Owner's name and check their profile.  Many do not have their own store as a Pick or a SLURL in their profile comments - this totally amazes me.  If the store group is free join, I'll try that and see if there are any notices with the store LM.  Sometimes I'll also search MP for the store to see if there is a valid link there. 

I am truly surprised at the number of times lately when none of that will give me a valid location.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I have found this problem in hunts much more frequently lately.  The hunt website gives a SLURL that ends up not being valid.  I then search on store name (assuming it is a hunt that tells you the name of the store - not all of them do) and try to use the associated TP which also is not always valid.  I then try to find an associated store group so that I can get the Owner's name and check their profile.  Many do not have their own store as a Pick or a SLURL in their profile comments - this totally amazes me.  If the store group is free join, I'll try that and see if there are any notices with the store LM.  Sometimes I'll also search MP for the store to see if there is a valid link there. 

I am truly surprised at the number of times lately when none of that will give me a valid location.

Sometimes it makes you wonder why they even started a store, right?

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2099 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.