Just a little rant about marketplace slurls

Cindy Evanier

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2098 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

After a frustrating morning shopping I just want to give a little dig/reminder to merchants.  If you move your store please change the slurl on the marketplace to the demo!

Today I have - landed in someone's house,  underwater, had to search profiles to clues as where the store has gone, fallen out the sky and landed inside a fountain 

Another thing that came to mind because by now I am on the point of giving up and I know it's a marketplace default but "See item in Second Life"  sucks when you actually get there and only find a vendor and no item at all to see (in this case a full perm mesh object)

• Like 9
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

Reminds me when I wanted a bikini and ended up in a brothel... LOL

But did you find any bikinis in the brothel? Leather ones with studs, or trimmed in pink fake-fur etc. ? :D 

• Haha 2

Well, at least the 'see item in...' thing is updated more often than the inworld store link. I prefer to shop inworld whenever possible, so you can imagine the disappointment I feel when I see such a link only to find a not-store. Even worse is when there's still a inworld store, but the merchant did not update the link.

19 minutes ago, Richardus Raymaker said:

There's one problem. It's as far i know not easy to update slurls. you need todo every item one by one. For big shops. almost impossible job.

I found this older thread where Syn tells exactly how it can be done

On 16.6.2018 at 11:31 PM, Laoise Rumsford said:

How about when you see something you want, click GET DEMO and it takes you back to the MP's home page? :)

That only happened once to me, and only for buying - no inworld vendours, but the animation demo was of course in the inworld place O.o

• Moderators

Greetings!

Merchants can bulk update their product listings, including the SLurl through the Manage Listings page.

• Click on the My Marketplace Link at the top of the page
  • Click on Merchant Home on the drop down options
  • Click on Manage Listings in the menu on the left
  • Change the options to view 100 items per page
  • Click the Check Box next to the Date header on the left of the list of items
  • Scroll to the bottom of the page and change Modify selected items field to Edit
  • Click the Go button
  • You will be shown an empty Edit Listing page
  • Scroll to the SLUrl field and ONLY enter the new SLurl
  • DO NOT ENTER ANYTHING IN THE OTHER FIELDS
  • Scroll to the bottom of the page
  • Click the Update button

When the page reloads, you will be returned to your Manage Listing Page and every listing that was selected should now be updated with the new SLUrl.

Rinse & Repeat for each page of listings.

Unfortunately, there isn't a faster way to update the SLUrl's on Product Listings themselves, as the maximum view is 100 listings.  So any merchant that has more than 100 items will need to scroll through each page and edit up to 100 items at a time, but it is faster than updating one listing at a time. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

• Moderators
On 6/16/2018 at 5:31 PM, Laoise Rumsford said:

How about when you see something you want, click GET DEMO and it takes you back to the MP's home page? :)

Hi!

If you click on a Get Demo or Get Item link on a listing and you are redirected to the Second Life Marketplace homepage, it means that the item that is linked is not available, unfortunately.

• Thanks 2

On 6/23/2018 at 2:31 AM, Charlotte Bartlett said:

That works if you sending people to a generic landing point.  But most customers want to be tp’d to the actual item so each item has a unique SLURL for things like furniture houses etc.  

Exactly so an easy solution would be for LL to offer a Marketplace API that allowed merchants to authenticate their own systems and then poke whatever data into the MP store data.  In addition to allowing the integration of external editing systems, this would easily allow a vendor prim or demo item which is inworld to query its own location via LSL and then in that script, simply make an HTTP POST to a Marketplace API such as SetMySlurl(location).

For inworld objects, the object owner is already known and if i'm not mistaken, sent with the HTTP metadata (might be wrong here, I forget).  Either way, it's really no different to doing ANS where a merchant already gets an API key.

Too simple, too useful, i'll get my coat.

• 3 weeks later...

For a very long time I have wished LL would revert marketplace to an API and open up the front end to a TPV in combination with vendors like Casper etc. The TPV could bring the glossy user experience,  vendor services  like Casper push and pull the data we already capture in product set up to the API and LL just worry about the back end server stuff.

I am not technical but in essence I hope that makes sense!  ?

• Like 1

On 6/23/2018 at 2:31 AM, Charlotte Bartlett said:

That works if you sending people to a generic landing point.  But most customers want to be tp’d to the actual item so each item has a unique SLURL for things like furniture houses etc.  

I love it when it's direct, but if I need to use Area Search to find it I'll just do that. Updating direct SLURLs after a move or rebuild falls into Life's Too Short territory imo, even if it is someone else's life. :)

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Ansiri said:

I've been hoping they would update the Inworld Store slurl, or add if it's missing. I often go visit the store and check if it has an inworld store and use that link there.

Gives me a nice feature request idea, how about the ability to report broken store SURLs?

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
On 7/17/2018 at 9:43 AM, Fionalein said:

Gives me a nice feature request idea, how about the ability to report broken store SURLs?

To whom?

Only the seller can correct the broken or outdated SLurls.  Any request would necessitate adding a function to the Marketplace system to notify the sellers when a report is done.  And this would open the system up for abuse, since users could just click on the report to harass the seller.

• Like 5

It might be important to note that SOME creators actually put a SLURL DIRECTLY TO THE ITEM --- IN the text of the item (not in the store SLURL field necessarily).   I have folks writing often asking where they can see a demo when the link was right there in the product description.

READING IS A GOOD THING ---- lots of folks seem to forget that. 

fixing your whole Marketplace products list  is definitely a pain when you move. It took me several days to update all the links to products and I only have 225 items.  While I do agree it would be nice if everyone DID update (and I have had issues too) a simple search for the store will usually get you to the current one OR looking in the creators profile.  

Bloggers have to do research and find SLURLs ALL THE TIME :SwingingFriends:.   It isn't all that difficult. 

OR you can simply not buy from someone with a wrong link. That works too :D.

11 hours ago, Dakota Linden said:

To whom?

Only the seller can correct the broken or outdated SLurls.  Any request would necessitate adding a function to the Marketplace system to notify the sellers when a report is done.  And this would open the system up for abuse, since users could just click on the report to harass the seller.

But the Lab could remove them - of course that would involve some moderation need ... actually testing the availability ... you know, like abuse reports get checked for validity too, right?

Na, Bradfort in that case you could harras a store owner by continuously reporting "broken lists" like Dakota fears.

11 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Bloggers have to do research and find SLURLs ALL THE TIME :SwingingFriends:.   It isn't all that difficult. 

Really? And silly me thought they get the SLURL with the notecard that comes with the sample...

Edited by Fionalein

11 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

OR you can simply not buy from someone with a wrong link. That works too :D.

I am not a blogger, but I know how to search for stores.  On the particular day I started this rant,  I had done that via profiles but got nowhere.  And I didn't give them my L$ after all that.  I am not a big shopper but when I do want something, I want it to be easy to see what I am buying.  I don't do hunts very often either for the same impatient reason :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2098 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.