You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2131 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Need more detail of the specification of your intended PC, especially the GPU, but I would wait and think more before buying a Intel i3 as that is the bottom end of processors right now.

You need to think about something that will last for several years if you decide to buy a new one, or at least has an upgrade path without a complete overhaul.

Ok so would this hp be better?

• Capacity1 TB 7200RPM SATA

PRODUCT FEATURES:

• Operating SystemWindows 10
  • RAM8 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM memory (1x8 GB)
  • Product TypeGaming
  • Included SoftwareHP Support Assistant, CyberLink Power Media Player, DTS Studio Sound™, Netflix, HP Orbit, HP Recovery Manager, Meet the new Office, Dropbox, McAfee®
  • Optical DriveDVD-Writer
  • USB Ports10
  • Processor Speed3.20GHz
  • GamingYes
  • Processor ModelAMD Ryzen™ 5 1400 Processor, Quad-Core
  • Graphics CardAMD Radeon™ RX 550 graphics card with 2 GB GDDR5 dedicated memory
Edited by Lizbette Tearfall

Emphasis on "all in one" ... those machines are built for very lightweight rendering, mostly as media display. 

They have very poor or no ventilation at all, which means that they will run hot while rendering SL. Probably way too hot, it wouldn't be the first example which will come close to melting.

The HP computer sounds at least better than an AiO option. Not good by far, but it should do as an entry level for SL.

• Like 1

As it happens I just bought myself a new gaming laptop this week and picked it up last Monday. I live in Thailand and my electricity is not always guaranteed 100% as we get power outs sometimes during heavy storms, which is why I wanted a laptop with its battery backup. Everybody has slightly different needs.

I spent hours Googling on YouTube watching and reading reviews for a long, long time before I let go of my money, but had a rough idea of what I wanted to buy and how much all along. I ended up buying more than I first thought because I didn't want it to be obsolete prematurely. Also, just a little more money here or there can make such a big difference.

To my knowledge nobody does reviews of 2ndLife on graphics cards, but you get a good idea from their reviews using other graphic hungry games.

You have to think how much pleasure you get from your computer and what value spending a little extra can bring.  I really enjoy both my laptop and second life, so it was worth it for me to wait and get the best I could.

For interest's sake, this is the one I bought: https://www.jib.co.th/web/index.php/product/readProduct/29684/1341/NOTEBOOK--โน้ตบุ๊ค--ASUS-ROG-GL703GM-EE172T

ASUS ROG Strix Scar Edition GL703GM 17.3", 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1060 6GB, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD. I connect it to a 32" Samsung 1080p TV for an extra screen which sits alongside.

I can play at Ultra level all the time, but I don't as sometimes the fan gets noisy if lots of avatars around. I tried 2 concurrent sessions on Ultra and it was fine too, but the fans get noisy and the temps rise, but I was just testing to see.

I'm really happy with it, which is why I couldn't help talking about it. I am not rich and Thailand is not a rich country.

I saved patiently for a long, long time to buy it. It was worth the wait :x

Moral of this story is: Patience brings its own reward.

Edited by Candice LittleBoots
specs
  • Thanks 1

Thank you , your reply was very helpful , I'm not good with computers as far as tech stuff , I should probably learn lol I haven't made up my mind yet but that lap top looks pretty sweet ? 

I love SL to an am trying to get back asap. Thus my serch for a new pc. I wish they had some one who did do research an had a list of cards, laptops & PC's that worked well for sl to. It would make it so much easier , specially for those of us who don't know much about the workings lol

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2131 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.