Is the kemono body good for beginners?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 862 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been playing Second Life for about a week. I really like the little feet and body shape of the kemono body and I think I'd like to get one, but I only understand about half of what I read about it because I'm still unfamiliar with a lot of the jargon here. I have some specific ideas about how I want to have my avatar, so I would like to be able to customize without getting in over my head. Would  this be a good starter body, or would it be too complicated for someone who's just starting out?  

For reference, I have some experience with modding for The Sims but I've only retextured things, I never learned about meshes. I needed to have a very, very basic understanding of meshes to be able to paint on them but that's all. Judging by the tutorials I've found so far, the retexturing process seems similar here but it's still all pretty mysterious to me lol. 

Things are changing. Probably this year a feature called Bakes On Mesh (BoM) will go live. This will allow us to hande mesh bodies very much like we handle classic bodies. So, you do not need to feel pressured to learn mesh modeling. What you know from the Sims will probably suffice.

We have jargon... and you are new, so... Classic is the avatar you see when you take off everything that can be taken off. We say a mesh body, etc. when we mean a body like Kemono.

Making skin and mesh clothes is a bit complicated. However, BoM is hoped to simplify that and lets us work with mesh bodies as we do with Classic bodies and clothes. So, learning how to make classic or aka 'system' clothes is a good first step. Basically making textures and adding them to system shirts, pants, whatever. No modeling required.

Also, to avoid 3D modeling you can buy full perm mesh kits. These let you upload, say a mesh skirt, included in the kit with textures you made from the included UVMap/template.

Once you understand these creative processes, you can decide if you want to learn more.

Kemono is up to you. I will warn that some region owners ban avatars wearing Kemono on sight. They tend to be small avatars and have a childish yet sexual appearance. So, the fear of violating ToS comes up. There are some whines in the forum here from people getting region-banned. Seems the bans are blind bureaucratic reactions to the brand not the actual avatar. 

There is not a flood of such complaints. But, there are a few complainers here and it seems to be a known issue. There is no way to actually quantify the problem. So, salt the advice or ask around.

• Like 2

The Kemono huds are pretty simple and it has a lot of support, but nearly every human body mod is going to be incompatible.  It uses a different UV map from all the human bodies, which use the same map as the classic system body.  I still recommend it, I have one and its great, but I'd also recommend snagging a human mesh.  There are $1L bodies by eBody and free bodies by Altamura, none of them will let you retexture but they'll give you something to familiarize yourself with.  For retexturing you can do that with the classic avatar until you get the hang of it.

If you do get a Kemono, some advice for texturing the head: there are a lot of extra mouth and eyelid positions that go transparent when not in use, so get used to fiddling around with invisible ghost mouths.  There's also an invisible cone in front of the head that projects an optional facelight.  If you try to drop a texture onto every part at once, you'll suddenly see that cone with your texture on it (and on the eyelids, and the eyes, and the extra mouths...) and it's real confusing if you aren't expecting it.

For free furry bodies (which also have unique UV maps) you can also play around with the Happy Paws Cabbit, the Bladencat, and the Krankhaus Luxx.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

Things are changing. Probably this year a feature called Bakes On Mesh (BoM) will go live. This will allow us to hande mesh bodies very much like we handle classic bodies. So, you do not need to feel pressured to learn mesh modeling. What you know from the Sims will probably suffice.

So, learning how to make classic or aka 'system' clothes is a good first step. Basically making textures and adding them to system shirts, pants, whatever. No modeling required.

Also, to avoid 3D modeling you can buy full perm mesh kits. These let you upload, say a mesh skirt, included in the kit with textures you made from the included UVMap/template.

Kemono is up to you. I will warn that some region owners ban avatars wearing Kemono on sight. 

Thanks for letting me know, I had no idea! Sounds exciting. 

I would appreciate any tutorials for making textures if anyone knows any! I found a handful on my own, but the ones I've found are focusing on the photoshop aspects which already seem familiar enough to me. I need to know everything else, lol! Specifically, I don't know where the files would be found. Also, in Sims 2, we had something...I think it was called Body Shop if I remember correctly. It was an extra program apart from the Sims 2 that you could use to see what your clothes would look like before using them in the game. In video tutorials I was seeing people painting in photoshop in one window and then checking what it would look like in the game in another window but I don't know how they were doing that. It didn't seem like they were closing out of SL, editing in photoshop, and re-opening SL each time but I'm not really sure. Could have been the video editing? 

I guess you're uploading the mesh skirt form the kit? 

I'll definitely look into the forum topics about that. I was planning on being a somewhat childish looking avatar myself. Not particularly human, but more human-looking than furry-looking. I wasn't planning on looking sexual though, which was ironically part of why I was drawn to that body type. (I thought, surely! No chest, not even really human, I wouldn't have a problem! Oh well.) Should I be worried about the way I'll be perceived? 

6 hours ago, MegaRose said:

The Kemono huds are pretty simple and it has a lot of support, but nearly every human body mod is going to be incompatible. 

There are $1L bodies by eBody and free bodies by Altamura, none of them will let you retexture but they'll give you something to familiarize yourself with. 

For retexturing you can do that with the classic avatar until you get the hang of it.

For free furry bodies (which also have unique UV maps) you can also play around with the Happy Paws Cabbit, the Bladencat, and the Krankhaus Luxx.

Do you mean like, hair and clothes for humans or are there other mods? A lot of the hair I've seen on Kemono avatars so far looks like anime hairstyles. I was hoping to get something different. 

Are there things I should be familiar with about mesh bodies besides retexturing? 

Again, I would appreciate any very basic tutorials for retexturing! I've looked through tutorials for making skin specifically because that's one of the main things I'd like to do, but I'm having the same problems I mentioned above. 

Thanks for the advice about modding the Kemono. That sounds like it would have been and interesting discovery lol. 

Thanks, those are interesting! Can you switch the heads on these free bodies? Can you change or get rid of the tail? 

I hope I don't sound like an endless pit of questions! I appreciate the help from all of you. 

Most tails are removable/interchangeable, but not always.  Kemono, Cabbit, and I think Luxx have removable tails, I can't remember if Bladencat does.  A lot of people sell standalone tails that can be stuck onto anything.

Kemono is distinctly different in shape than most human bodies so human clothes rarely fit.  I've had some luck with a really small shape and really big child size clothes, but that's iffy.  Generally if you put human clothes on the Kemono you're going to have a lot of empty space between your body and the actual cloth.  Hair usually fits but might require resizing or shape editing.  The Kemono comes with an anime hair and there's a lot of anime hairs that fit the Kemono perfectly but it's not necessary.  I've also gotten prim hairs to fit on the Bladencat with a little editing.

14 hours ago, eatember said:

EDITED...

I would appreciate any tutorials for making textures if anyone knows any! ...

I don't know where the files would be found.

Also, in Sims 2, we had something...I think it was called Body Shop if I remember correctly. It was an extra program apart from the Sims 2 that you could use to see what your clothes would look like before using them in the game.

In video tutorials I was seeing people painting in photoshop in one window and then checking what it would look like in the game in another window ...

I guess you're uploading the mesh skirt form the kit? 

I was planning on being a somewhat childish looking avatar myself. ...

Do you mean like, hair and clothes for humans or are there other mods?

Are there things I should be familiar with about mesh bodies besides retexturing? 

I've looked through tutorials for making skin  

I hope I don't sound like an endless pit of questions! I appreciate the help from all of you. 

Tutorials… there are loads of those for classic and mesh clothes on YouTube and Vimeo. Just pay attention to the date they were made.

There is also the SL Wiki and the SL Forum Knowledge Base. I think they are both getting a bit out of date. But, I think they are generally the best starting points. They are a good source for file locations. Chip Midnight and Robin Woods made the most used clothing templates. A number of mesh bodies use a VERY similar template. Close enough they say in their dev kits to use those templates.

Preview There are at least two ways to preview things in SL. Most creatives use the Firestorm Viewer. With that in mind, when texturing stuff you can have the viewer render using a texture on your local drive without uploading it. It isn’t as automatic as dedicated preview software… meaning you have to do some viewer clicking when you modify a texture.

There is the Preview or Beta grid named ADITI. You can login there and upload for free. Don’t get excited. We cannot transfer stuff from ADITI to the main grid AGNI. But, they do have free money… it too cannot be used on the main grid.

Kits… Mesh kits usually come with .DEA (Collada) files that can be uploaded. This gets your name in the Creator slot so you get the support calls.

Collada files can be imported to modeling programs and edited. Using them as a base for another product is controlled by the licensing agreement you agree to.

Perception… As Alfred E. Newman said, “What? Me? Worry?”… Worry is optional. Being perceived is unavoidable.

If you offend someone in the PC peeps crowd and other groups, you are going to see political/moral posturing as they rip on you in an attempt to bully/shame you into compliance. You can choose to submit those fascists or not.

Region owners have control over who can be on their land. You will have to deal with their biases and bureaucracy. Remember. Only a very few region owners take such stances. You can’t know the percentage of the places you visit that have Kemono aversion.

Suggestion… Go with what you want. Avoid becoming totally invested in a single look until you have enough first-hand experience to make an informed decision.

Mods… Everything in SL can be a mod… Classic avatar had lame fingernails. We made mods… Mesh hands had great nails. We made mods… It is endless what the replacements and enhancements we have made.

Texturing… There are the basic system clothes, a texture uploaded to SL and added to a system attachment, like a shirt. There are Appliers for mesh bodies and clothes. For those we upload a texture, capture the UUID, build a HUD, put the UUID in an Applier script for the target mesh, poke all that into an Applier.

Skin… This is probably the most difficult item to make. It takes talent and a good understanding of the UVMaps/templates. For mesh bodies there is the problem of the custom mesh layouts and UV’s they use for their models. You have to get the various brands’ dev kits for skin. (Slink Kit Dev Info) Then you have to get their Applier kits and make those.

Answering Questions… many of us are here to help. Answering a string of questions is no bother. Where I and people I see get frustrated with people is when they do not clearly state their question… (e.g., I can’t get in SL. What’s wrong? Answer: O.o Do you have a computer?) Yours are clear questions easy to answer.

• Like 1
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 862 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.