What's the meter limit from land, before auto return?

ral61

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2133 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

The problem most times, is having my speed boat with complex scripts that dramatic appearance on water, to come ashore & start malfunctioning to stop engine.

Sometimes at  boat engine startup the malfunctioning to keep the boat in-place, starts tossing around the camera angle.

Then there's the ban line at the (island) parcel, that might cause further disruption with the boat trying to park precise in-place & engine stop don 't work.

Maybe the meter limit from shore overall, is causing the disruptions & malfunctioning, who know's ?

The uploaded screenshot uncovering the ban line, at (edit) from the boat dock, might paint a picture to what's happening--who knows ?

I already had to re-shift my parking the boat with dock.

SL-Ban line, at Current 3.PNG

9 answers to this question

That's not a ban line.  It's the parcel border.  Ban lines look like multiple strips of yellow police crime scene tape. 

Parcel borders are not usually a problem.  About the only time they are, is if you don't own the land outside your parcel, and your object intrudes (partially or fully) into that parcel.  Then the owner, or parcel auto-return, can toss your object into your Lost and Found folder.

If your boat is misbehaving, it's more likely that the boat itself is the problem.  I have bought many vehicles that have very unreliable or buggy scripts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for knowing what I saw at "edit" with my boat dock. I recently turned it around to the side of the land, instead of out in the water where the parcel border is at.

My boat also had to be turned to the side of the land, just inside the parcel border. I now have to test any misbehaving by the boat, starting today---smiles*.

SL-Ban line, at Current 3.PNG

There are a bunch of known problems with vehicles. Especially when crossing a region boundary.

There is no technical difference between water and land in SL. Everything is a mathematical representation within a computer model. The process of rendering the boat and land are not interdependent. However, the physics engine does consider whether the boat and land have collided.

When vehicles are jumping around it is a usually matter of the viewer and server disagreeing on where the vehicle is and which way it is traveling and at what speed. The jumping is the result of their trying to get back in sync and adjust for the stream of change-info coming from the viewer, turn, stop, faster... etc. Network lag can make a mess of the process.

Crossing region boundaries is hampered by a large number of scrips in the vehicle and on the avatar. The Lindens are working to improve crossings. But, they remain a problem.

1 hour ago, Nalates Urriah said:

There is no technical difference between water and land in SL. Everything is a mathematical representation within a computer model.

Still usually motorboats are usually horribly scripted compared to cars... only yhave a few well behaving ones.

It's a good idea to try the demo for any vehicle...car, boat, or plane...before buying.  I recently spent $L8,000 for what I thought would be a really nice custom yacht, but its scripting sucked.  Wouldn't even stay straight in the dock.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

It's a good idea to try the demo for any vehicle...car, boat, or plane...before buying.  I recently spent $L8,000 for what I thought would be a really nice custom yacht, but its scripting sucked.  Wouldn't even stay straight in the dock.

File a lawlawsuit... 

Carry a picket sigh and march in front of their store...

...every so often I do that, buy without checking the demo. Sometimes I even get away with it...

• Haha 1

Probably your biggest problem will be the sand under your boat. (In this photo I removed the water to show it better)

I think all you can do is drive in 180 degrees to this and edit the boat into position. As your parcel is on the simborder on 2 sides, you may find placing a few buoys to mark them will help you steer into the small place.

a912eb14b8159f05e014f75fdc81b994.thumb.png.9bc2060ad60e5d8d69246dd9848a474f.png

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2133 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.