Jump to content

Permissions


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2226 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

Hi, 

I've been searching for an answer as to how do you transfer a full perm food item that is copy/mod and mod/transfer only permissions but haven't found an answer yet. 

Is there a way?  A script I need?

I'm not sure what the creator of the full perm food made the full perm food for if it can't be transferred?  Just to look at it?  Be an item used only for animate on attach?  

I'm wondering if a solution to this copy and transfer problem so many full perm creators have could be solved if the purchaser of the full perm item wrote for instance "HAMBURGER, NOT FOR RESALE" as it can't be modified it would say on the object itself NOT FOR RESALE.

Help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.  

I wanted to use this food for a sit down "tea", so need it to transfer.  I don't have any use to sell it animate on attach as a stand alone item.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm a little puzzled by the question.  Perms are perms.  If you don't have transfer perms on an object, you can't give or sell it to someone else.  If you don't have mod perms, you can't modify it.  You can't change the perms that someone else has put on an object that you own, except to make them more restrictive for the next owner.  If an object has mod perms, you can make to no-mod ; if it's already no-mod, you can't make it modifiable.  And you can't make a script do it either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Okay, I have a full perm food I want to be able to "share" at a tea AND MAKE THIS FOR SALE.   The maker of the full perm food says the permissions are copy/mod or mod/transfer only.

In my tea set, how do I set the perms of the food item to make it transfer to people's guests?

Edited by FairreLilette
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh, I see.  The creator has said that even though the item is full perm to you, your license from him does not allow you to pass it along as a full perm item to someone else.  Your best choice in this particular case is to be sure that the food item is rezzed and then attached to your guest with llAttachToAvatarTemp instead of llAttachToAvatar, or (worse yet) given directly to the guest.  If you do that, ownership transfers but the item never appears in the guest's inventory.  When she detaches it (or your script detaches it), the item vanishes forever.  Hence, the meaning of "Temp".  That should satisfy the restrictions of your license.  Otherwise, your only choice is to make "substantial" modifications to the object itself -- applying a new color scheme, linking it to other objects, or making it somehow unusable beyond a one-time use -- so that you are not giving away the creator's object as is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, I thought about rezzing and all but the positions would off, wouldn't they?  I'm not sure how the positioning would work because the layout of the food objects I want to use are on a round tray and are in varied positions.

I'm wondering though if the copy/transfer problem of certain items could be solved simply by typing on the object "Food Item (any name) NOT FOR RESALE? 

Since the permssions of modify do not exist, the object would say NOT FOR RESALE.  

And therefore, it couldn't be resold as a fake Gacha item or sold at all.  I mean someone could try, but I don't think they would last very long because the object they would be trying to resell says NOT FOR RESALE.  

Anyhow, if this can be solved by your solution of attach to avatar temp, how do you set up the correct position for the animation in a seated chair to work?  This is not a food object for standing.

p.s.  Meanwhile, I will go try the objects to wear in the different positions of the food item (taking and wearing it from the table) and see if the positioning of the object works correctly.

 

Edited by FairreLilette
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

I'm wondering though if the copy/transfer problem of certain items could be solved simply by typing on the object "Food Item (any name) NOT FOR RESALE? 

You need to read the TOS of the person you purchased it from.  If you leave the item MOD then they can simply remove the NOT FOR RESALE. You should probably have a discussion with the person you bought the food from 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Yeah, I thought about rezzing and all but the positions would off, wouldn't they?  I'm not sure how the positioning would work because the layout of the food objects I want to use are on a round tray and are in varied positions.

I'm wondering though if the copy/transfer problem of certain items could be solved simply by typing on the object "Food Item (any name) NOT FOR RESALE? 

Since the permssions of modify do not exist, the object would say NOT FOR RESALE.  

And therefore, it couldn't be resold as a fake Gacha item or sold at all.  I mean someone could try, but I don't think they would last very long because the object they would be trying to resell says NOT FOR RESALE.  

Anyhow, if this can be solved by your solution of attach to avatar temp, how do you set up the correct position for the animation in a seated chair to work?  This is not a food object for standing.

p.s.  Meanwhile, I will go try the objects to wear in the different positions of the food item (taking and wearing it from the table) and see if the positioning of the object works correctly.

 

OK, if the food items are simply being displayed on a plate and not being used by your guests, it's a non-problem.  You link all the food to your plate and display it.  Even if you actually intend to give the plate to your guests, if you make the plate no-mod first, then you are not transferring the individual items as-is.  You have made a "substantial change" by permanently linking them.

The only problem comes if you intend to have your guests choose individual items and have them transferred to their own inventories. That's where you would need to script them in such a way that they self destruct after one use (or become irrevocably unusable or ugly).  Simply writing NOT FOR RESALE won't deter people from giving the items away.  Besides, it makes your table look unsightly.  

If you expect guests to use (eat or hold) the food items, then llAttachToAvatarTemp is still your best bet.  In that case, the scripting can be a little tricky, especially for a novice, but it pretty straightforward. The logical sequence to script is basically this:

1. Start with a plate that has your food already on it, scripted as a rezzer.

2. User touches the food, which turns transparent and rezzes a new copy of the food item in exactly the same place.

3. New food item requests permission to attach.

4. When received, the item attaches to your guest and requests permission to animate (granted automatically and silently).

5. Attached item animates your guests, who appears to enjoy the food.

6. A detach signal ( triggered probably by a timer) tells the attached food to stop animating and detach.  The same signal tells the transparent food on the plate to reappear and be ready again.

If you feel confident enough to write the script (or follow the example in the LSL wiki entry for llAttachToAvatarTemp), go for it.  Otherwise, find a scripter.  It should not be a costly job.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

No, no, Cindy...the item WOULD NOT BE modify.  I am saying the permissions would be copy and transfer with the object saying NOT FOR RESALE.  Since it's not modify, the new owner (the one the food is transferred to) could not remove the NOT FOR RESALE.

Anyhow, I'm demoing food from the table to wear, it is not in the correct position.  It is a holdable food not a fork or spoon food.  So the food item would have to be rezzed standing upright pretty much and that is not a good look for a table setting.  It's like a hamburger lies down on a tray but is upright towards our mouth for eating.  Two completely different positions.

I have pondered messaging the creator of the food and asking if she'd allow copy and transfer if I write on each object NOT FOR RESALE.

I wonder if there is any kind of script that could be made that would not allow a copy/transfer object to be set for resale....?  

 

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Anyhow, I'm demoing food from the table to wear, it is not in the correct position.  It is a holdable food not a fork or spoon food.

Oh yes. That is a well known old problem many have struggled with. A food dispenser has to be able to give the food away of course and that means the owner of the dispenser needs to have transfer permission to the food items.

As far as I know, nobody has found a good solution to this but it's possible it can be solved with the temp attachment function. Rolig may be able to answer that now that she knows all the details.

Edit: Didn't read her whole reply through. She already has answered it. Sorry.

Edited by ChinRey
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

OK, if the food items are simply being displayed on a plate and not being used by your guests, it's a non-problem.  You link all the food to your plate and display it.  Even if you actually intend to give the plate to your guests, if you make the plate no-mod first, then you are not transferring the individual items as-is.  You have made a "substantial change" by permanently linking them.

The only problem comes if you intend to have your guests choose individual items and have them transferred to their own inventories. That's where you would need to script them in such a way that they self destruct after one use (or become irrevocably unusable or ugly).  Simply writing NOT FOR RESALE won't deter people from giving the items away.  Besides, it makes your table look unsightly.  

If you expect guests to use (eat or hold) the food items, then llAttachToAvatarTemp is still your best bet.  In that case, the scripting can be a little tricky, especially for a novice, but it pretty straightforward. The logical sequence to script is basically this:

1. Start with a plate that has your food already on it, scripted as a rezzer.

2. User touches the food, which turns transparent and rezzes a new copy of the food item in exactly the same place.

3. New food item requests permission to attach.

4. When received, the item attaches to your guest and requests permission to animate (granted automatically and silently).

5. Attached item animates your guests, who appears to enjoy the food.

6. A detach signal ( triggered probably by a timer) tells the attached food to stop animating and detach.  The same signal tells the transparent food on the plate to reappear and be ready again.

If you feel confident enough to write the script (or follow the example in the LSL wiki entry for llAttachToAvatarTemp), go for it.  Otherwise, find a scripter.  It should not be a costly job.

Wow, that sounds amazing!  It's more prims though.  But, I will take time today to think about it.  I need a little time.

I'm also taking a little time to think about making my own food of some kind though it would not be as cute as the one I bought, and that is a shame to not be to use such a cute food item.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Anyhow, I'm demoing food from the table to wear, it is not in the correct position.  It is a holdable food not a fork or spoon food.  So the food item would have to be rezzed standing upright pretty much and that is not a good look for a table setting.  It's like a hamburger lies down on a tray but is upright towards our mouth for eating.  Two completely different positions.

If that's the only problem, just rez the food lying down. You can rez an object anywhere and in any orientation you like.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

It's more prims though.

Not necessarily. If you are careful to make everything Convex Hull and to link several of your food items onto plates as complex linksets, you may be able to get away with only a modest increase in L.I., if any. And of course items that are worn don't count for L.I. anyway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2226 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...