Mesh again!!!!! Just when you think you know........

BelindaN

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2138 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

OK I'll admit it. I'm struggling with mesh Avi's.  First just let me say that I'm new into SL. Six weeks in, and climbing a mountain of information. In truth I'm doing OK with my classic Avi. I've sorted HUDs and Alpha's and sandboxes, and touching and unpacking stuff. I've even sorted alphas for clothing, and so I'm doing quite well!!!!!  And I've sorted shopping....................

But I want a mesh body. I've had a load of good advice inworld, and even attended a classroom event. I'm still confused, and here's why..........

The marketplace is very confusing. There are complete Avi's with clothing etc etc, and then there is 'Avi appearance' and 'Avi components'.

All the ads expect a level of understanding which I don't have. Occasionally I think I do, and then my hopes are dashed when I try to move forward.  I was looking at retaining my classic Avi head (and read a thread about this earlier), but I might also just go for a full new Avi.

Today I visited the Maitreya Sim, and the Esode Sim, but quite honestly, with no one there to help, it was a wasted trip!

I then got a skin and shape demo from Esode - they have lovely Avi's !!!!!  I experimented in the sand box, and the make up and skin shade options are really lovely.

But when I added the shape, it morphed my classic Avi into something from Lord of the Rings. Huge feet and hands and a small body......not the best look. I understood that a full body alpha is needed to cover the classic Avi, but there wasn't one in the demo. I've also heard about Omega appliers???  It's still all mumbo jumbo..........

Oh but the good news is I did get some slink hands and feet....................................I'm leaving them well alone for now.

So.................If  buy a complete Avi,   can I simply wear it out of the box? (with minor adjustments possible). Or does it need laying over my classic?

If I go with a skin and shape pack, is everything I need in the box? And what is "the idiots guide" for making it all come together???  e.g. step 1 do this.....step 2 do this.....and so on.

At the moment it's very frustrating!!! Oh and I don't mind spending a wedge of L$ to get this right..............................................

Any simple advice would be lovely...................

Belinda.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

OK I'll admit it. I'm struggling with mesh Avi's.  First just let me say that I'm new into SL. Six weeks in, and climbing a mountain of information. In truth I'm doing OK with my classic Avi. I've sorted HUDs and Alpha's and sandboxes, and touching and unpacking stuff. I've even sorted alphas for clothing, and so I'm doing quite well!!!!!  And I've sorted shopping....................

But I want a mesh body. I've had a load of good advice inworld, and even attended a classroom event. I'm still confused, and here's why..........

The marketplace is very confusing. There are complete Avi's with clothing etc etc, and then there is 'Avi appearance' and 'Avi components'.

All the ads expect a level of understanding which I don't have. Occasionally I think I do, and then my hopes are dashed when I try to move forward.  I was looking at retaining my classic Avi head (and read a thread about this earlier), but I might also just go for a full new Avi.

Today I visited the Maitreya Sim, and the Esode Sim, but quite honestly, with no one there to help, it was a wasted trip!

I then got a skin and shape demo from Esode - they have lovely Avi's !!!!!  I experimented in the sand box, and the make up and skin shade options are really lovely.

But when I added the shape, it morphed my classic Avi into something from Lord of the Rings. Huge feet and hands and a small body......not the best look. I understood that a full body alpha is needed to cover the classic Avi, but there wasn't one in the demo. I've also heard about Omega appliers???  It's still all mumbo jumbo..........

Oh but the good news is I did get some slink hands and feet....................................I'm leaving them well alone for now.

So.................If  buy a complete Avi,   can I simply wear it out of the box? (with minor adjustments possible). Or does it need laying over my classic?

If I go with a skin and shape pack, is everything I need in the box? And what is "the idiots guide" for making it all come together???  e.g. step 1 do this.....step 2 do this.....and so on.

At the moment it's very frustrating!!! Oh and I don't mind spending a wedge of L$ to get this right..............................................

Any simple advice would be lovely...................

Belinda.

My advice.  Check this website http://meshbodyaddicts.com/   and demo demo demo until you find what suits YOU best.  Demo'ing also teaches you a lot about how to use alphas and the huds and etc etc etc.  As you are finding, it can be a minefield so go slow and.. demo :D

• Like 2

Pretty much anything from the MarketPlace that says it is a 'complete avi' is nothing more than a shape, a skin, some hair, shoes, and clothes - but nornmally not a mesh body or at least not a good one with the typical HUD for managing various aspects of it (i.e. if it is a mesh body, it will likely be a static one that you cannot change much).  You are almost always better off not wasting L$ on those.  I don't think any of the actual Mesh Body makers are selling the bodies on the MP. 

Here is the comparison/review table page on Mesh Body Addicts: http://meshbodyaddicts.com/mesh-body-reviews/    TP to the various places for any body that sounds good and get the demo.  Also, I recommend that you skip TMP (The Mesh Project) as all indications are that they are going out of business soon.

For a mesh body, you will wear a full body alpha - though the alpha should only include the head for the few bodies out there that come with a head. Once you find a body or few that you think you like, pop around to some skin stores to get demos.  If you retain your classic head - I still use mine - then the skin search is a bit harder because not all skin makers create classic skins anymore.  And even the ones that do, don't always seem to get a good match between their classic skin that will be showing on your head and the associated applier that gets applied to the mesh body. Then again, not all skin makers can manage a good match between their mesh head applier and their mesh body applier.  Hence why demo, demo, demo is the rule.

Not all bodies - at least not some of the super cheap ones - will allow skins to be applied other than whatever is loaded into the mesh body to start with.  If you want to keep your classic head, this issue alone may eliminate some body choices.  For others, like Maitreya, the mesh body HUD already has all of the Glam Affair tones loaded.  Thus all you would need to do is find a tone you like and then go to Glam Affair and fine a classic skin for the face that you like and buy it in the tone you want.

Side note on shapes - you can keep your current shape with a mesh body, but you will likely need to tweak it a bit (make a backup copy first).  The mesh body is sitting on top of the classic body, so pretty much all parts of the shape will become a bit larger. Additionally, not all bodies respond to all shape settings the same, thus why you need to tweak your shape and demo, demo, demo the bodies.

One other thing - Go ahead and attach the slink feet and hands while shopping for a mesh body.  Depending on your skin, you might be able to get an applier for the feet/hands, otherwise you'll need to do a more complicated skin match.  It is sometimes easier to change skins.  When you finally get a mesh body, some of them will have feet/hands included and thus you'll no longer "have" to use the Slink ones -- though you usually can if you prefer them.  And sometimes you will alpha (or remove)  the feet of your mesh body in order to wear the Slink feet specifically for a pair of shoes that only comes in Slink version.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2

In perusing the Mesh Body Addicts review table, I noticed that a few cheaper options are not mentioned.  There are a few cheaper bodies out there that are great for getting the feel of a mesh body.  eBody has a couple of L$1 bodies and Altamura has a variety of cheaper options, though some of those require you to join the group.  On the cheaper options, you will likely be very limited in what skins you can use and there aren't lots of clothing made specifically for them, but often other body versions of clothing will fit.

Many of those "full avatar" ads are about CLASSIC bodies -- so unless it is specific about being a full mesh body avatar and unless it costs a few thousand lindens -- that is likely what you are looking at.  You need to remember that there are things on the Marketplace from a decade ago. Not all are viable now :D.  That may get an overhaul soon; we are hoping. 

What you have now that is "mesh" are your Slink hands and feet. Honestly those were probably not the best purchases to make as they were "the norm" five years ago and cost almost as much as a full mesh avatar still.   It IS confusing and it also sounds like you are doing well.  

MY suggestion would be to go over and get a free  (one linden dollar to join the group) eBody body (hands feet body, hud with minimal alphas etc).  You can use that to PRACTICE :D.  You may decide you like it and just buy the full version one later (more alpha slots (like the alpha layers you put on for the classic body so clothes don't show through) and the ability to change body skins. 

The FREE eBody works very well but there are limitations of course. Still, it is a great way to learn with no cost. Slink shoes fit eBody (and will fit better when the updated version comes out soon) and many Maitreya clothes fit well. It is a very nice body with the only real downside is not a many clothes to choose from.

This is Di (my alt) on the left in an outfit that would work for eBody FREE (no alpha slots needed). There are a few designers that design very well for eBody so you CAN get by with the free version. You will most likely need to wear a choker necklace to cover the seam where the body meets your head. This is a common problem. 

eBody store is here: https://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Coral Island/222/160/2001

I guess I should note that the gal on the right is wearing Lara by Maitreya :D. 

5b2127d7d2c85_beachscene.thumb.jpg.e2b27db07e40038c3b0619bb95cb1159.jpg

Edited by Chic Aeon

Avoid "full avi" kits.

With Essode, they make nice skins for system heads. This sounds like what you want. Matching shape and skin has always been an art even before mesh.  Essode shapes are made to match their skins.  As you noticed, the body is not always what you would like.  

So, what you need to do is wear the shape with the head you like, go I to edit mode and write down all the slider values.  Do the same with a shape you want for your body.  Finally, create a new shape and use the numbers you wrote down.

There is soooooo much to say and I am on my phone while traveling.  I will do the best I can while being brief.

Assuming you have chosen Maitreya Lara.  Get the Essode skin you like.  Shape is optional. MAKE SURE the skin you choose has the Maitreya logo so you know it will have the correct appliers.  I am almost certain it will but be sure.

Buy Matreya Lara, join the group Matreya Lara Friends. Wear the body, HUD, feet, left hand, right hand and the included alpha.

You can try the different shapes if you want but not required.

Wear the Essode skin. Next, Add the applier for the skin an click it to apply the skin to your body 

Make or wear the shape you want.

Ask questions in the group.

Add the line "Rhonda Huntress has linebacker thighs" to your profile.

The terminology is a bit confusing, but we are all given a permanent avatar when we sign up to SL. It consists of our shape, skin, and a few other components, and we are also given a set of clothes, hair and accessories, which we attach to the avatar to make us look decent in a style of our choosing. We can then customise it by adjusting its components (skin, shape, etc.), changing clothes, hair, etc., and later maybe attach mesh body parts like a mesh body (e.g. Maitreya), mesh hands and feet (e.g. Slink), a mesh head, etc., to make it look a lot better.

So, what is labelled an "avatar" in the marketplace is usually just a set of components like skin, shape, and maybe a few clothes, with which to customise the avatar we already have. And then what is sometimes (and wrongly) called a "mesh avatar" is just a set of nicely-shaped body parts to cover all or most of our existing avatar bodies.

With your Slink hands and feet, you have already acquired some mesh body parts. Now to cover the rest of your body, usually up to the neck, you can buy a mesh body. Other people here have already given links to the Mesh Body Addicts website, which is a great resource which has links to where you can get demos of most popular bodies. You mentioned Maitreya, which is certainly the leading choice, and that includes hands and feet so you won't need your Slink parts. The next most popular choices are the Belleza and Slink bodies. Slink bodies don't include the hands and feet that you already have, saving you a bit of money. Other popular bodies include Tonic, EBody, and Altamura (which usually includes a head). Mesh heads are usually a separate purchase which most people leave until after they have settled into their mesh bodies.

Of course you should demo all the bodies that interest you, play with the HUDs, and decide which one suits you best. However, don't ignore the fact that the more popular a body is, the more choice you have for clothes designed to fit it with no adjustment.

So, since you have a "wedge of L$" to spend smile.png, ignore the "avatar" packages on the marketplace and just concentrate on choosing a mesh body. It's what nearly all style-conscious people here do. And don't worry about appliers* (Omega and others) just yet; wait until you have your mesh body.

*An applier is how you put a third-party skin, tattoo, makeup, or painted-on clothes like underwear, onto a mesh body. Omega appliers work with nearly all mesh bodies.

Edited by angeoco

Thank you Cindy, LittleMe Jewell, Chic Aeon, Rhonda, and angecoco.........

This is just what I need to make sense of it all!! :x9_9

I must admit that I do like the look of the Lara body!!.........................and I'll chase up on all those links.

Please keep it coming if you think of anything else - I need all the help I can get!!!

Update - visited the store and with a bit of help, got the Lara demo. Must now find some time!!

Also joined the Lara Group. I'll be asking more questions when I look for the Esode skin. Please be patient!!!!9_9

Edited by BelindaN

For six weeks into SL, you have made great progress. I think I was six YEARS old before I started mixing animations to a personal AO. But that has nothing to do with mesh... just to compare how advanced you are.

So that freak shape... avoid all ads for shapes that say "Catwa" Lelutka" and other names of mesh heads. They are morphed because the classic head and the mesh heads have a very different topography (does that make sense at all, English isn't my #1 Language?!). Mesh heads need an exstreme shape. To avoid that people use the free demo instead of buying the shape, the size of hands and feet are set as high as possible. The full priced shape will have regular sized hands and feet.

My personal view... a mesh body without a mesh head does not need a shape. If you are happy with the face, you wear the mesh body and it looks like your classic body, just better.

Since you already paid for the Slink hands and feet, it would be natural to buy the Slink body. It is priced low because it is without hands and feet.

If price does not matter, the Maitreya is so popular that some designers sell "Maitreya exclusives" and don't make clothes and shoes for other bodies. So if you buy it, you will never stand in an event and see that there is not anything made for your body. (caveat: There might be something that does not include Maitreya... not that I have seen it)

Slink is also a popular brand and not hard to shop for. But Maitreya has the lion's share of the market.

Edited by Marianne Little

15 hours ago, BelindaN said:

I'll be asking more questions when I look for the Esode skin. Please be patient!!!!9_9

If you are buying a skin, you need to get both an applier skin compatible with your mesh body and an identical system skin to cover your head. If you are going for the Maitreya body, then the applier can be either a Maitreya applier or an Omega applier. To use an Omega applier you will also need to get the Omega Relay for Maitreya, and attach it to your screen before clicking the applier. Often the system skin and the applier are packaged together, but sometimes you have to buy them separately, making sure they are in fact the exact same skin tone from the same designer.

Another option is to use one of the default skins supplied with your mesh body, and just buy a matching system skin for your head from the same designer who created the mesh body skin; for example the bundled Maitreya skins are made by Glam Affair, who I believe also make system skins.

Edited by angeoco

Thank you everybody for your help so far..........................

I got time to try the Lara demo today and WOW! Just WOW!. It went straight on, and it's only when you see the huge improvement that you can understand why mesh is so popular.

I thought I had my classic Avi in pretty good shape, but this is a different level....................I'm just amazed. So I've made the purchase, and next I'll start on the skin shade. My current head is slightly darker, so as you predicted, there's a line which makes it look like I've been sunbathing in a polo neck...........haha.

I thought you might like to see how far I got with my classic............................

And I'll start looking at those skins and get right back to you if and when I get stuck............which is a sure thing!!!!

Hugs to you all, because you have been so helpful in this thread xx

secondlife-postcard 1.jpg

secondlife-postcard 3.jpg

Edited by BelindaN
Spelling!
  • Like 2

I thought I'd update you all, following a couple of days of experimentation.  The transition has been much easier than I expected but with a huge amount of help along the way..........:D

I haven't found a skin I like that will fit my head and body, but I do have a close enough match for now, so I've decided to leave well alone. Maybe when I 

upgrade my head, then I'll look again at skins.

A lot of my current wardrobe seems to fit without a problem, but obviously I've been shopping a lot, and I'm developing a taste for shopping in store...............Hmm. :).....

Hugs to you all!!!

secondlife-postcard 9.jpg

secondlife-postcard 12.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, BelindaN said:

I haven't found a skin I like that will fit my head and body, but I do have a close enough match for now, so I've decided to leave well alone.

When in doubt you can always wear a choker to conceal the seam ;)

• Like 2

Hi Rhonda

The body is Lara by Maitraya - once i saw it.................:x

My head is still classic. It's Bea, by ApolloBlue. A lovely classic Avi and only  L$222 when I bought her!!

So I'll give it a bit of time now, and then start looking again at heads. I really would like to keep this look, so it might be a long search!!!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2138 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.