eatember

Are All Avatars Human?

On 6/11/2018 at 8:23 PM, Tari Landar said:

I'm a hamster half the time, human the other half...usually, though I do have all sorts of avs, lol.

Everyone else already answered your other questions, but yes, search IS your friend, and so is the marketplace, where you can buy avs and av accessories..of which there are probably more than I want to count right now, lol. 

ETA, this is my hamster self, lol

hamster.png.a4c5a7b849b0b36f57a0c6818bc98f4b.png

Hey guys, I am new to the forum. Tari where did you get this adorable avatar from? 

On 6/10/2018 at 12:40 AM, eatember said:

I heard about the creator community of Second Life years before actually deciding to play the game. Now that I've had a look around, it's not what I imagined it would be like! I'm seeing a lot of human avatars and party/shopping environments. I guess with such a large internet community I was expecting furries, anime, fantacy...maybe some robots? Maybe even some things I haven't seen before! I was hoping to find some creative, avant garde environments too! Heck, with a platform like Second Life, you could probably do environments underwater.  Or in space! That would be cool as heck! 

Does anyone do stuff like that here? 

Welcome! However, Second Life is plainly not a game. If it is, kindly advise what is the objective. How does one play. How does one win. :-)

I am a furry. I used to do human in SL. I don't do human at all anymore. My last human avatar was 2011 and is now stuck in a storage box. 

I can tell you that there is a pretty big furry community in SL still. But it is very segregated from the human majority. I feel like one of the few who goes outside of it and mixes with the human majority. There is a lot of fear of discrimination. And while I certainly do encounter people who hate me because I'm a furry (I guess I'm too cute for them?) I find that the fear of hate is much less than the reality. 

The thumbnail photo is a face shot of my avatar. I usually roam the grid as an anthro snow leopard.

On 6/10/2018 at 1:32 PM, Solar Legion said:

If you decide to visit any of the larger/popular Furry clubs also be warned: Many are on Adult rated sims and have no qualms whatsoever about "performing" out in the open ... Sometimes right on the dance floor! Bring a rain coat and some disinfectant.

Eh. There are some clubs like that, just as there are some human clubs that are like that. I find that furries and humans are a lot alike that way. Some of the popular clubs for both groups are X-rated sex clubs. On the other hand, there are also quite a few G/M rated spots for both groups.

In the case of furry clubs, a lot of places that are pretty clean in practice are still in adult sims. That started years ago because adult verification to get into those locations took a bit of effort and that reduced the number of griefers. There is, alas, a long history of furry sims being especially targeted for griefing. While griefing seems a lot less serious than it used to be, the fear and the memory lingers on.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

Persian

Dragon_005.thumb.png.d30520ba436f3e2ffde7ebddaeb5714a.png

I have been admiring this fluffy prim cat avatar for ages, it is just soooo cute.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chiyoma said:

Hey guys, I am new to the forum. Tari where did you get this adorable avatar from? 

It's from Beetlebones

4 hours ago, Female Winslet said:

The thumbnail photo is a face shot of my avatar. I usually roam the grid as an anthro snow leopard.

In the case of furry clubs, a lot of places that are pretty clean in practice are still in adult sims. That started years ago because adult verification to get into those locations took a bit of effort and that reduced the number of griefers. There is, alas, a long history of furry sims being especially targeted for griefing. While griefing seems a lot less serious than it used to be, the fear and the memory lingers on.

She's pretty! (Do people use second person to talk about avatars in SL? Or first person? You're?)

I've seen the word griefing a few times now. I googled it and it looks like it means something similar to trolling but google was referencing MMOs like Minecraft and not SL. Is that what it means here too? I feel like 'trolling' has more of a "irritating but insignificant, peevish" context. When I've seen "griefing" it's seemed like it's more serious somehow but I might be reading too much into it? 

I had been thinking, if y'all are used to trouble from human players maybe I should get a pair of ears to seem friendly? But then I was forcibly reminded of those fake animals researchers sometimes use to get close to a real group of animals. I hope that doesn't seem like any kind of rude implication, I don't mean anything disrespectful but the mental image is just so funny. 

I just-

_78757785_78645786.jpg

Hello my fellow penguins! :D

robot-rockhopper-penguin-attacked-by-jea

Bless me I hope someone else finds this as hilarious as I do.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, eatember said:

She's pretty! (Do people use second person to talk about avatars in SL? Or first person? You're?)

I find that people use both first and second person so either way works. I'm sure there's someone out there who has some grammatical insistence on one thing or another. But for most people, I think either way will work.

I've seen the word griefing a few times now. I googled it and it looks like it means something similar to trolling but google was referencing MMOs like Minecraft and not SL. Is that what it means here too? I feel like 'trolling' has more of a "irritating but insignificant, peevish" context. When I've seen "griefing" it's seemed like it's more serious somehow but I might be reading too much into it? 

Griefing is a pretty broad term for anyone who gets their fun from ruining the fun of others. A lot these days seem to be trolls. Years ago, they tended to make sims crash, make users crash, etc. It still happens, but that type of thing seems a lot less common than it used to be.

I had been thinking, if y'all are used to trouble from human players maybe I should get a pair of ears to seem friendly? But then I was forcibly reminded of those fake animals researchers sometimes use to get close to a real group of animals. I hope that doesn't seem like any kind of rude implication, I don't mean anything disrespectful but the mental image is just so funny. 

Okay, two things. First of all, the idea that there are players suggests that SL is a game. A great many people--me among them--would disagree. If it's a game, shouldn't there be rules, an objective, a way to win, etc?

As far as furries go, I don't think just wearing a pair of ears would make you seem friendly. But I'll tell you what I will do. I will send you an IM in world. I'm doing a DJ set at a human club tomorrow (Thursday). The theme is going to be furries and I'm going to play the music of the real life furry fandom. My sets usually draw a few furries besides myself. And a furry themed set will probably draw even more.  That would be an opportunity to meet some of us. So I will send you an IM about time and place.

Apart from that, I would suggest that the way to seem friendly is just to be friendly. If you want to talk about furry stuff, I never mind if people reach out to me. And I get people asking me those questions all the time. So you can always talk to me about the stuff. 

I thought your photos were pretty cute and I'd bet quite a few other furs would too. :-) I especially liked the first one. 

Edited by Female Winslet
Edited to fix a typo.

Abraminations have a penguin avatar https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Mesh-Penguin-Avatar-by-Abranimations/3083129 complete with a "pilchard slapper".  Now I can imagine 4 wheels attached to that avatar.

7 hours ago, eatember said:

They are quite related, but in my eyes griefing is the bigger brother of trolling, it's reached the point where it's crossed the line into harrasment. 

1 minute ago, Female Winslet said:

Okay, two things. First of all, the idea that there are players suggests that SL is a game. A great many people--me among them--would disagree. If it's a game, shouldn't there be rules, an objective, a way to win, etc?

Is playing with Barbie a game? There are no rules, there is no objective, there is no way to win. Yet I do think most people seeing kids playing with dolls would think they are playing a game.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chiyoma said:

Is it still available because i am unable to find the store

I'm not sure if the store is still open, or rather re-opened after a move/close(not sure which it was, well  I don't remember anyway lol), if you can find it though, they did have it in a gacha type machine in all the different color options they had/have. Occasionally someone will sell one on the mp, but not too often.