eatember

Are All Avatars Human?

I heard about the creator community of Second Life years before actually deciding to play the game. Now that I've had a look around, it's not what I imagined it would be like! I'm seeing a lot of human avatars and party/shopping environments. I guess with such a large internet community I was expecting furries, anime, fantacy...maybe some robots? Maybe even some things I haven't seen before! I was hoping to find some creative, avant garde environments too! Heck, with a platform like Second Life, you could probably do environments underwater.  Or in space! That would be cool as heck! 

Does anyone do stuff like that here? 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, eatember said:

Yes. It's all here.

Underwater, space, other planets as environments.

More Furries then you can throw kibble at, many animes, dragon of all types, horse, wolves, eagles, mermaids, android, robot, trees, shadows... walking boybits... millions of types of avatars limited onky by imagination.

I myself am Neko, half kitten half human-ish.

• Like 5

My avatar is an elf with demon horns.

Have you activily searched for places, that fit your describtion or attract non-human avatars? Because there are quite many.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

I think there has been a shift towards human avatars and shopping. The wide range of imagination still exists of course, but I find that I'm less likely to just happen into it these days. It used to be frequently and in lots of different places.

It seems like a greater percentage of SL is into an idealised, overly perfect, hyper-realism right now. Hopefully things will shift again at some point. I miss all the chance encounters with beings and environments I wouldn't have thought (or even known about) to seek out.

I still remember wandering into an underwater mermaid bar below a city I was exploring, being absolutely delighted with it and dragging a friend in to see it. The first time I discovered underwater though was more mundane. I'd fallen off a bridge (I did a lot of falling back then) and was merrily exploring the lake floor, the view up and the whole experience of it. But the very kind land owner was worried about me and wanted to help, so I had to climb out for her sake.

Sea of Fables still has some cool underwater stuff. It's Linden-owned so it will always be there.

Finding the right groups to join can help, but it's hard because they come and go. Or more like they don't go, but their activity falls off or the owner leaves and the group stays in the listings. Getting good enough to make things to sell has been helpful to me for finding others with similar, non-mainstream interests. My shops are like big adverts for that :)  Of course that depends largely on the people who find it taking a moment to drop me an IM.

I don't have any other suggestions on how to find things these days, but keep looking, cause when you do this place can be amazing. :) 

Edited by Bitsy Buccaneer
  • Like 1

Theresa Tennyson examines a popular mesh body.

No ribcage? Ski-jump breasts? Weird squashed pelvis? Zeppelin thighs? Not even most of the humans are human.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

I'm currently running around as a imp.

Your best bet is to actually roam the grid and don't stay in one place.

7 hours ago, Syo Emerald said:

My avatar is an elf with demon horns.

Have you activily searched for places, that fit your describtion or attract non-human avatars? Because there are quite many.

Oh! How would I do that? Do I just search any of the keywords I was using above? 

Also if you or anyone else has any advice on what I could search/where I can go to find other niches I might not know about that would be appreciated! 

1 hour ago, Magnek Fang said:

I'm currently running around as a imp.

Your best bet is to actually roam the grid and don't stay in one place.

Man. I want to run around as an imp! 

How are y'all running around as imps and wolves and tv sets? I guess there might be tutorials for that? 

(Also I haven't figured out how to quote more than one thing in a reply? I want to quote and reply to everyone! I found "multiquote" and promptly confused myself. Still new to Second Life, apologies for messy forum posting! ) 

Posted (edited)

Yes, keyword searches do help.

Be warned however that some communities and venues are a wee mite jaded thanks to the sort of griefing that happened fairly often in years past.

Speaking only about the Furry/Anthro community .... Sadly some places (like FurNation) and stores (Lost Furrest Creatures/AnthroVision, AnthroXtasy and a few others) and such have closed down since the time I joined (late 2006) and the 'community' is a bit more scattered/somewhat guarded these days.

If you decide to visit any of the larger/popular Furry clubs also be warned: Many are on Adult rated sims and have no qualms whatsoever about "performing" out in the open ... Sometimes right on the dance floor! Bring a rain coat and some disinfectant.

As for quoting more than one poster in a reply ... That's what the "+" button on each post is for.

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Like 1

Most people's preference seems to be for human (or at least humanoid) avatars, but there's still tons of choice for non-humans.  There's a gazillion furry and animal avatars for instance, there's aliens, there's robots, and plenty of stuff that's just plain weird.

Here's a bunch of my stranger ones; some I already had, the rest picked up from the Freebies section at Grendel's Children. The freebies are a bit outdated (prims and sculpts rather than mesh) but I'm showing them as an example of what you can get. If you spend more money, you'll get better ones.

5b1d69b72f4cc_varietypack.png.da945f2b3e864c16cd22b37567efa98a.png

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Solar Legion said:

If you decide to visit any of the larger/popular Furry clubs also be warned: Many are on Adult rated sims and have no qualms whatsoever about "performing" out in the open ... Sometimes right on the dance floor! Bring a rain coat and some disinfectant.

Thanks for the warning, wandering into something like that on accident sounds exactly like something I'd do lol. 

3 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:

Here's a bunch of my stranger ones; some I already had, the rest picked up from the Freebies section at Grendel's Children. The freebies are a bit outdated (prims and sculpts rather than mesh) but I'm showing them as an example of what you can get. If you spend more money, you'll get better ones.

5b1d69b72f4cc_varietypack.png.da945f2b3e864c16cd22b37567efa98a.png

I don't know why but I think the dinosaur is just very funny? Do you happen to know if the mermaid (mer-man?) is a whole avatar or just a tail? Do they do just tails? And holy heck I just noticed the transformer how did I miss that? I mean he's obviously just a robot or smth but that's rad. 

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure it says somewhere in the promotional literature for Second Life that the only limit to what you can be or do in Second Life is your own imagination, and of course the TOS

2 hours ago, eatember said:

Do you happen to know if the mermaid (mer-man?) is a whole avatar or just a tail? Do they do just tails? 

Mostly it is a tail to fit onto one of the popular mesh bodies. There can be textures to add to the humanoid part of the body that will allow a nice blend. Then it's a matter of finding the suitable hair, jewellry and what not to customise it.

Head to http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Fanci Deep NE/128/128/2 and look around the sea floor in the 4 regions there :D

The biggest thing in SL is, dream and then form that dream around you. No matter what it is, when you learn the skills to create it, it can most probably be done.

We need another thread asking “are all typists human?”

If any Gray Aliens check In , it could be a SL Exclusive! (Especially if their avatar last name is Linden - it would explain a few things...)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/10/2018 at 5:40 AM, eatember said:

I heard about the creator community of Second Life years before actually deciding to play the game. Now that I've had a look around, it's not what I imagined it would be like! I'm seeing a lot of human avatars and party/shopping environments. I guess with such a large internet community I was expecting furries, anime, fantacy...maybe some robots? Maybe even some things I haven't seen before! I was hoping to find some creative, avant garde environments too! Heck, with a platform like Second Life, you could probably do environments underwater.  Or in space! That would be cool as heck! 

not all some might be bots, i found that out when i got no reply from them in chat could be that they wont talk tho, a bot sometimes in the form of an avatar will be a greeter to the sim ie every time you visit they will greet you with a welcome, you say thank you, ask a question then guess, no response from them 

Posted (edited)

I'm a hamster half the time, human the other half...usually, though I do have all sorts of avs, lol.

Everyone else already answered your other questions, but yes, search IS your friend, and so is the marketplace, where you can buy avs and av accessories..of which there are probably more than I want to count right now, lol. 

ETA, this is my hamster self, lol

hamster.png.a4c5a7b849b0b36f57a0c6818bc98f4b.png

Edited by Tari Landar
  • Like 2

On 10/06/2018 at 11:05 PM, eatember said:

I don't know why but I think the dinosaur is just very funny? Do you happen to know if the mermaid (mer-man?) is a whole avatar or just a tail? Do they do just tails? And holy heck I just noticed the transformer how did I miss that? I mean he's obviously just a robot or smth but that's rad. 

The merman is just a (very expensive) tail, with my normal humanoid avatar as the top half. There are freebies and cheapies available though. Usually again just the tail, and sometimes an animation override to go with it, to make it swim. You'll need to get the human skin and hair separately. Best place for getting started as a mer is a place called Fanci's Deep; you'll find that on search.

The dinosaur is one of the Grendel's Children avatars. That particular one is one of the freebies, but they have many more, and many under L$100. The robot is also from Grendel's Children. 

I have a few non-human avatars. I have a horse, a tiny dragon, an even tinier ferret, a cat (furry anthro, not realistic) and yes, I have a bunch of old freebies from Grendel's too. I don't have the hippo though. That hippo looks awesome.

On 6/10/2018 at 8:14 PM, Callum Meriman said:

Head to http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Fanci Deep NE/128/128/2 and look around the sea floor in the 4 regions there :D

ಠ-ಠ I have not yet seen a map of SL. I didn't know there was a map of SL. I- thank you that seems really cool and exactly what I was after! I'm excited to check it out! Also though. That is a large map. I've only been teleporting so far, but do people just go from place to place? It looks like it's all connected? 

I have so many questions now, maybe I should make a new topic lol. 

20 hours ago, Tari Landar said:

ETA, this is my hamster self, lol

hamster.png.a4c5a7b849b0b36f57a0c6818bc98f4b.png

tenor.gif?itemid=5194213

13 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:

The dinosaur is one of the Grendel's Children avatars. That particular one is one of the freebies, but they have many more, and many under L$100. The robot is also from Grendel's Children. 

I went there after you mentioned it before! It was really cool, I totes got lost and found a secret kitchen! (And left it alone because I'm not sure if people were supposed to be in that area...)

I appreciate all the neat shop suggestions! 

1 hour ago, eatember said:

ಠ-ಠ I have not yet seen a map of SL. I didn't know there was a map of SL. I- thank you that seems really cool and exactly what I was after! I'm excited to check it out! Also though. That is a large map. I've only been teleporting so far, but do people just go from place to place? It looks like it's all connected? 

Land in SL is currently 1521.16 Square KM. which is 587.3 Square Miles. Maybe 1/3 of that is connected and can be walked, driven, sailed. A fair chunk of the remaining are people's homes, some can be seen, others set to private.

Three more of my avatars. Dragon

Dragon_002.thumb.png.bbf71c34784f3a32f0c9f8948f2b63da.png

Frisian

Dragon_004.thumb.png.a57bab5a87bf3102cecbc9ea4ae2f7fb.png

• Like 1