You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 85 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I did a thorough tour of all of Heterocera continent's water areas today, taking measurements from all lakes, rivers and ponds to see how high the surface water is in each.

I was surprised to discover that there are a total of NINE differing water levels, ranging from coastal (20m) up to 80m in some inland lakes.  None are particular deep or expansive in surface area though. I made sure I landmarked all the areas I visited too.

The nine water levels in Heterocera are more than the total I found in Sansara continent earlier this year, which had seven levels.  I also found that Heterocera also has more waterfalls than Sansara too. ;)

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 11/18/2021 at 4:52 PM, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

I did a thorough tour of all of Heterocera continent's water areas today, taking measurements from all lakes, rivers and ponds to see how high the surface water is in each.

I was surprised to discover that there are a total of NINE differing water levels, ranging from coastal (20m) up to 80m in some inland lakes.  None are particular deep or expansive in surface area though. I made sure I landmarked all the areas I visited too.

The nine water levels in Heterocera are more than the total I found in Sansara continent earlier this year, which had seven levels.  I also found that Heterocera also has more waterfalls than Sansara too. ;)

It's too bad you didn't measure the amount of Linden protected water on each of these Hetero sims, and whether or not they had protected Linden water channels.

Did you personally go to every single Hetero sim in real time? How many are there? Or did you use a scripted agent? Either way it's useful. I have never seen a Hetero sim with 40 +/- capability as on Sansara, which creates a number of very deep water sims like Barton.

On 6/3/2021 at 1:28 PM, Jazzimus Maxwell said:

Sarah, Just FYI they are no longer owned by Anche Chung circa a 2006 LL auction. She developed them after Sansara was developed and later sold back to LL. They are LL mainland now. (I used to live there, adjacent to the waterway). 🙂

My recollection of this history is different. First, the Lindens put in p2p, which devalued all of Anshe's and other big telehub mall owners' land. They lobbied for a buyback and eventually got a deal with $6/m I believe, far less than what they were bought or sold for on the open market. Anshe had the Lindens buy back enormous amounts of her now-worthless telehub land.

But then they got their revenge. They rolled out a new mini-continent of sandy sims and pine sims which were way more gorgeous than any other Mainland sim and even some islands. To stay in her position as having locked down most valuable waterfront so as to control the price, Anshe was forced to eat that continent, thereby undoing the gains she had from the telehub buy-backs. Boy, there was some gnashing of teeth, and not only from Anshe. Then gradually, she sold off these sims which were named for artists in many cases, or some famous scientists or even famous SL people. I'm not aware that there was ever any deal from Linden to buy back Pine and the sandy ones -- she just sold them off over time because actually, they didn't move so well, in part because they were isolated like private islands. They were always Mainland, but just not as "attached."

On 11/13/2021 at 3:09 PM, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

@Aethelwine @Patch Linden@Derrick Linden @Abnor Mole

Tiger1.thumb.jpg.a3e84093ff7fd511f89853822606d8bd.jpg

Re: Heterocera Atoll "Tiger-Togata" coast fix.

There is a very obvious (to me anyway), easy fix to the age-old single missing coastal region sim on Heterocera Atoll continent, between Tiger and Togata regions.

Things there are complicated, as in the neighbouring Moma region, the water level there is higher at 35m, while the nearby coastal regions of Tiger and Togata are at the standard 20m height.  On the border of Moma and Togata is an attractive waterfall, with water "falling" from Moma into Togata.

But the coast is missing in this odd little corner of SL and prevents a full coastal circumnavigtion of Heterocera by boat.

Adding in a new water region between Tiger and Togata as it is now won't work either, because the nearby private island Regalis region needs to have a specific gap wide enough to seperate it from intrusion from the continent and any water regions near to it.

However, I have a cunning plan which should fix this issue!

Tiger2.thumb.jpg.54c1b29a5d38965a651bc888dcd50ed5.jpg

It involves moving the private Regalis region from it's usual grid position 993,1030 slightly north and west to an unused grid position of 991,1032  so that it does not interfere with other private island regions and is fully clear of Heterocera's coastline.

When the move is done, Regalis' old 993,1030 position can now become an empty sea void.  It will not be needed and will act as a separation buffer between Heterocera and the nearest private island regions. It also allows space for a new coastal region sim to be created on the coast.

With the new void at 993,1030 in place, one new water region (with 20m surface water) can be created and placed (at grid position 994,1029) to the west of Tiger region, which completes the full navigable coast Heterocera continent.

And best of all, there's no need to edit the unusual 35m high water level or the waterfalls in Moma, for which it was created. Or the road tunnel, which passes from Tiger, through Moma (its flooded!) and into Togata, which can stay as it is and remain as a charming oddity of SL.

So there you go, a solution is found.  You're welcome.

So please DO IT! 😜

I don't know whether you are finding the Lindens are following your suggestions or not -- I have heard Patch say in various public meetings that putting in all these void sims is just too expensive. That we can airily suggest that "only 18" or "only 38" are needed -- but that means regions added that have no tier generated from them. So my understanding -- unless they have updated this for some reason -- is that they cannot offer all this connected sailing because after AWS, and greater server costs, they cannot justify even adding what seem like "a few" sims.

I realize you are focusing mainly on sailing which need not be a costly exercise in SL (except in time and skill) and doesn't require even land or outlay of expense for boats -- there are free boats and free rezzing areas all over maintained by LL and some residents.

I'm more interested now in trying to understand the dynamic of the "commercial value" of the "connection of Mainland and Bellisseria". NOT for myself, as I would never spend $50/m or $75/m or more on land anywhere, it simply cannot be made back under the real circumstances of Mainland -- UNLESS you have enough investment cash and patience to maintain a large trading tier.

But even for those personages, it still seems to me that the proposition of "getting more out of the connex to Belli" isn't really evident. No one buys that overpriced land. If they do, and try to rent it, there is such a glut on the market, they have high occupancy, even on Blake Sea. Is it merely psychologically? Is there really this pent-up demand for Belli sailors to have a landing spot on "Earth in Korean" continent or whatever? 

Let's look at Fantasseria right now. There are two sims kitty-corner -- which I discovered is not enough to cross from one to another. I suppose the Lindens might add another sim there and make that possible. There is what I call "Crystal Park" and the "Crystal Archipelago" in Fantasseria, which are very lovely (they don't seem to have names yet) and then ultimately, apparently the ability to sail -- where? To several parcels that the owners have left open -- or parcels where they have not. What advantage does this get anyone, really?  I suppose its the satisfaction of sailors like yourself "getting from here to there" and then various entrepreneurs preying on this? Or providing a valuable service (let's put a charitable spin on it). Still hard to see that "connecting up the continents" serves anyone but a few intrepid sailors and a few very lucky land owners on the shores.

Snapshot_016.jpg

dbbf6abcbdc4b9f51a65e309e8d1335f.png

Snapshot_015.jpg

Snapshot_014.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I would like to claim the record of being the first ever person in SL history to circumnavigate the full Fantasseria sub-continent coastline by boat! 😜

I achieved this today (6th January 2022) between the hours of 04:33:52 SLT and 04:47:22 SLT.

I used my fastest powerboat, (a freebie 1966 Batboat!) to do a clockwise loop of the continent from the Eyrie docks to which I returned to in a total time of 14 minutes and 30 seconds!

152884878_FantasseriaCircumnavigated!6Jan202214m30s.thumb.png.21cdb11974a3d3dbe48d0ff764272278.png

Then to be doubly sure, I did the loop in the opposite anti-clockwise direction between 14:42:00 SLT and 14:54:50 SLT in a time of 12 minutes and 50 seconds. 😜 

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Abnor Mole said today at the opening of the BBB's embassy in Sansara that Bellisseria was built "to link the continents."

nice! I'd Like to see an Bellisseria to Sansara Bridge Connecting to Jeogeot! from Unfinished Schell Road! as Large Road Bridge built by Moles! and Bellisseria Bypass Bridge to Jeogeot inspired From Seven Miles Bridge in Florida from Picture! I hope Sansara and Jeogeot has the reliable transportation and a huge potential for economic success.

Seven_Mile_20Bridge1_jpg_1200_630_45fb09

Edited by anuk2939mk2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, anuk2939mk2 said:

nice! I'd Like to see an Bellisseria to Sansara Bridge Connecting to Jeogeot! from Unfinished Schell Road! as Large Road Bridge built by Moles! and Bellisseria Bypass Bridge to Jeogeot inspired From Seven Miles Bridge in Florida from Picture!

Seven_Mile_20Bridge1_jpg_1200_630_45fb09

I could check the room chat but he may have said "connect," and he may not have meant literally. Patch has said before that they can't link up every continent as we'd like, it's too expensive in terms of void sims they would have to lay out.

But I had never seen the Bellisseria project as the apex linking all the continents and somehow the way Abnor said this it seemed to mean it was the crowning achievement. And I suppose there is sense in saying this.

It wouldn't be a problem for the Moles to build a "seven mile bridge" as there are no RL type of logistics but will they lay out more sims and add to their expense? They have said that is not their intention. They may do enough of it to make it interesting to sail from here to there in places, however. Doesn't Jeogeot have another connection point they already did?

28 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I could check the room chat but he may have said "connect," and he may not have meant literally. Patch has said before that they can't link up every continent as we'd like, it's too expensive in terms of void sims they would have to lay out.

But I had never seen the Bellisseria project as the apex linking all the continents and somehow the way Abnor said this it seemed to mean it was the crowning achievement. And I suppose there is sense in saying this.

It wouldn't be a problem for the Moles to build a "seven mile bridge" as there are no RL type of logistics but will they lay out more sims and add to their expense? They have said that is not their intention. They may do enough of it to make it interesting to sail from here to there in places, however. Doesn't Jeogeot have another connection point they already did?

SL has Hermes and Ajax Semi Truck that easily accommodate the bridge with GTFO Freight System and Sansara Doesn't Have a Large Oceans for Luxe Motor and Large Container Ship,BBX Yachts That need a Large Ocean from Bay City to Sansara! Also I think Mole might Smart to make the Big Bridge inspired from Seven Mile Bridge as new Regions with Invested Money from Philip Linden and the Future Investors on Linden Lab! It's has Big benefits for This Virtual World. I think SL is the Blue Ocean Strategy for the Metaverse! that I've thinked! for the Sansara to Jeogeot Bridge. the Road ends at northwest side of Jeogeot at Pinemont! with an first Mole built Interchange on the Route 10 of the Jeogeot Linden Road!

Edited by anuk2939mk2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

• Moles
3 hours ago, anuk2939mk2 said:

SL has Hermes and Ajax Semi Truck that easily accommodate the bridge with GTFO Freight System and Sansara Doesn't Have a Large Oceans for Luxe Motor and Large Container Ship,BBX Yachts That need a Large Ocean from Bay City to Sansara! Also I think Mole might Smart to make the Big Bridge inspired from Seven Mile Bridge as new Regions with Invested Money from Philip Linden and the Future Investors on Linden Lab! It's has Big benefits for This Virtual World. I think SL is the Blue Ocean Strategy for the Metaverse! that I've thinked! for the Sansara to Jeogeot Bridge. the Road ends at northwest side of Jeogeot at Pinemont! with an first Mole built Interchange on the Route 10 of the Jeogeot Linden Road!

Oh, I can build it in no time if you can pay for it.
Lets see... that's about 64 regions... homesteads and at least one full region... plus billing for Mole hours....
So you're looking at about 10k USD in set up cost and a monthly tier of around $7500. You'll have to get in touch with the land owners and buy the land from them for the Route 10 interchange of course. Have Billing let Patch know when the funds clear and you have all the necessary property in your name and I can get right on that. ;)

Edited by Abnor Mole
  • Like 4
  • Haha 9

On 11/1/2021 at 10:17 AM, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

On Sunday 31st October 2021, I decided to attempt to sail from the Blake Sea regions to the Mole's Island at Meauxle Bureaux region.  I had not attempted this route properly before, as I had assumed from looking at the map that the route was blocked by Montbard and Terric regions. However, they were relatively simple to navigate through, with Terric having a 15 minute "traverse through" time allowance which was refreshingly generous and considerate.

After reaching Meauxle Bureaux , I paused momentarily and wondered how far south I could go in my boat before the journey became impassable. So sticking to protected waterways and not straying into private parcels, I sailed all the way south down Satori's east coast and to my surprise, got just over halfway down Satori's length but could get no further than Ptesanwi region. This was due to no protected water channel in the next region, Afanasyev.

I plotted my route on this map:

Jeogeot East Coast 31Oct2021.png

It would seem to me that with a few modifications to existing parcels or some additional regions placed between Ptesanwi and the southern tip of Satori, it would be possible to create a full-length north to south coastal route between the Blake Sea and the Linden Homes Bellisseria continent.

I have also created a new map which shows theoretical coastal sim regions added to both of Satori's coasts, this illustrates that full navigation would require 18 regions on the west, with 21 on the east. With both of these coastlines added, it would then be possible to fully circumnavigate the entire Satori continent by boat.

1608659205_SatoriEastCoastv2.thumb.jpg.7227e8ce68df03b2c20ed464beeb7c9f.jpg

FAO: @Patch Linden@Derrick Linden@Abnor Mole

I went back to Satori's east coast today and managed to sail south a further three sim regions from Ptesanwi through Afanasyev, Ninisinna and reached Ludjatako region.

This was possible as the southeast corner parcel owner at Afanasyev has apparently cleared a small but navigable space through the corner which had ended my journey there last time (see quote above).

But the voyage south now ends at the southern border of Ludjatako region, there is no further protected sea channel to navigate through.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

I suspect one reason this better connections between the continents is just the huge investment LL is putting into the Belleseria expansion.   That has done a lot to connect the continents. 

I think if they looked at this the CLPP rules could be relaxed and in many instances private sims could help fill in the connections at no cost to LL.   Indeed, many of the multi sim estates might even add sims to connect to the mainland while keeping enough distance from it to maintain their island land value.   

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Tor Karlsvalt said:

I think if they looked at this the CLPP rules could be relaxed and in many instances private sims could help fill in the connections at no cost to LL.

Bringing together some themed sims with similar styles would be nice. I was visiting the Gatsby Hotel yesterday, because it was suggested in the Destination Guide. (You can stay there. If you have to ask how much it costs, you can't afford it.) Something like that could be alongside other luxury properties, such as The Grove Estates.

One of the steampunk regions recently moved to be adjacent to New Babbage. It took some work, because everything in the sim had to be jacked up about fifty meters to match levels, but now it looks like it belongs there.

I'd like to see more work like that.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Won't the continents all be connected again one day in RL due to continental drift, the tectonic plates, etc.? In SL, the equivalent is "prim drift"!

Prim drift would drive me insane. Every region reboot everything would just giggle and rotate a little more out of place.

• Haha 3

19 hours ago, 4lice Cerise said:

Tl;dr: It's done! XD

YaY!

When I look at the world map with the new connector road, it reminds me that older PRIM roads are VISIBLE on the world map. In Bellisseria where the roads are meshy, seeing a road on a map is iffy and in some cases, not possible.

Why don't they fix whatever the thing is that images the world map!!!!!!!

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 85 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.