Posted (edited)

One of the biggest problems with Sansara continent is that there is currently no way to move by boat from Sansara's north coast to south coast, or vice-versa. Why? There is no contiguous waterway and water levels are much higher/deeper in Sansara's southern interior lakes.

I've drawn some (hypothetical) plans below which create an east coast for the continent.

The first idea involves a relocation of a 16 region sized micro-continent called "Islandia North" (to the north-east of Sansara) and adding 38 new water regions for an entirely protected waterway along the east side of Sansara, creating a proper coastline for the first time in its long history.

The coastal route also utilises some existing water regions (between Sansara and Islandia South micro-continent) and connects at it's southern end to the north shore of Bellisseria, the new Linden Homes continent

1869003145_SansaraEastCoastv1.thumb.jpg.ba6ba43563d8a6b83b8b85491858f889.jpg

A second alternative to moving Islandia North, is to dig a protected water channel through the current Pine Coast (1031,1008) region, or Torver (1030,1007) region which could also work - and reduce the new region count by two to "only" 36.

1900212791_SansaraEastCoastv2.thumb.jpg.9c2a0f5f3247a185376856f8fdc2e8b6.jpg

A third and the "cheapest" alternative would be to link only as north as Bleaberry Tarn (1030,1004), using a total of 33 new regions.

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 5
  • Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is the official forum thread for the SL Connect the Continents interest group. This group was created to grow momentum, popularity and plans to create a sim channel to connect the major cont

(I mis-posted this to General Discussion, but meant to post it here in Connect the Continents.) I'm new to the forum so apologies if this is old news, but yesterday I sailed the length of Sansara

I would really like to see an open ocean connecting everywhere. Once you leave a regions borders, a new type of server takes over that just manages the infinite space between, no rezzing, no new

Posted Images

I couldn’t agree more. And I know you know the impassible north/south corridor on the eastern edge of Sansara is only one of many similar coastlines. And that doesn’t even raise this issue of continents like Heterocera that was clearly designed to permit folks to sail into the atoll and around the central caldera, or the landscaping that used to permit the interior circumambulation inside Sansara through its string of lakes.

I used to think SL could be persuaded to open up all those waterways by reminding them of the fabulous selling point for all of SL that touring the continents by sail provides. It could conceivably attract in lots of new residents and help retain many current residents by showing them how vast and diversified SL is.

But then I realized a couple things. One is that although I now sail through countless regions using countless servers, I don’t pay a nickel more to SL than I did when I was your basic SL “sim potato”. Two, any contest in SL between sailors and landowners would be like Bambi versus Godzilla. The outcome could cripple sailing into the future.

I think it could be really helpful if landowners could be persuaded or seduced into joining the effort, but I haven’t any idea how to do that.

• Like 3
Posted (edited)

This 33 region coastal route would be the shortest and cheapest option.

Bleaberry Tarn (north) to Omoo (south). In fact, I'm going to officially propose it to Linden Labs....

2095459842_SansaraEastCoastv3.thumb.jpg.f2a80b50c93f438742b980642a1be41f.jpg

• Like 2
Posted (edited)

I have filed a JIRA - a new feature request - for the creation of a Sansara East Coast. I urge like-minded people to read it.

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-230820

@Linden Lab @Linden.@lindenlab.com  @Alexa Linden  @Kyle Linden  @Derrick Linden @Patch Linden  @Abnor Mole

Fingers crossed.... :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
Posted (edited)

I was curious about an alternative north-south route through or around Sansara. So I added some imaginary regions to the south of Sansara, around the Snowlands and Elements regions.

1295324725_SnowlandsFullCoastRoute.thumb.jpg.571aefd0b7cfc8cf112b11350415096b.jpg

570626935_SnowlandsShortestRoute.thumb.jpg.ce0e05dc3c59f120c97037f158ebbade.jpg

I was very surprised to discover this route is shorter than an east coast route (oops...!).

A full coastal route with touches land costs 29 regions, while a shorter more direct route costs 26 regions....

Anyone feel like writing another Jira?! :)

• Like 5
Posted (edited)

Another coastline that needs an upgrade is Satori's west coast.

18 new regions would need to be created to allow boats to move between Bellisseria, Satori and beyond.

1301537064_SatoriWestCoastv1.thumb.jpg.f092b89b10ca282bffe04b28d6909737.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

You're probably jumping the gun a bit here, especially when it comes to the Satori add-on.

Bellisseria still has a minimum of 3 more themes to unveil and complete, plus a few current themes still need to be completed. If you logically look at how Bellisseria has expanded so far, it's reasonable to assume that north of the "Chalet" area will, at some point, be full of LL home regions. At that point, you can expect LL to fill in the blanks on the west coast of Satori and finally give sailors a full protected waterway :) 

Depending on just how many more regions LL determine they need, it's also quite possible for Bellisseria to expand north-west, to the point that it reaches the north-east corner of Sansara as per your plan.

LL have already demonstrated (with the Jeogeot NW coast) that they are quite happy to "fill in" little gaps between mainland and Bellisseria, so I think we can expect to see that trend continue. However, I think they are unlikely to add water regions to any mainland area that has nothing to do with Bellisseria, simply because there isn't a financial incentive to do so. 

• Like 4
Posted (edited)

....snip...

However, I think they are unlikely to add water regions to any mainland area that has nothing to do with Bellisseria, simply because there isn't a financial incentive to do so

....snap....

NO!

I think, of course there should be a strong even financial interest!

Remember, Belli is full of marinas or water homes. So the new inhabitants should be have a very own strong interest to find sailing targets for themselve. And that not only inside Bellisaria, but also over the complete grid's areas, that are reachable by protected waterways!  The Linden homes so only could be more attractive then ever, or?

Greetings from a dreaming sailers girl, that like to sail one day from Gaeta to Bay City in one turn....

Edited by Sybille Winkler
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Sybille Winkler said:

However, I think they are unlikely to add water regions to any mainland area that has nothing to do with Bellisseria, simply because there isn't a financial incentive to do so

I'm curious: Why would there be more financial incentive for Bellisseria than for other Mainland coasts? 

[EDIT: I realize I "snipped" the wrong poster here, who was actually asking much the same question in response to @Eowyn Southmoor's post.]

Edited by Qie Niangao
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 5/28/2021 at 6:06 PM, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

I've had another link up idea.

Transform a useless 4 region protected waterway "lake" into a useful east coast for Sansara, by adding 5 new regions to the sea between Sansara and Bellisserria. The water level in the "lake" is already at the standard 20m height.

1050687162_IslandiaSouth2.thumb.png.90bf7348535919c832a9d0efd041aed1.png

The block of 30 regions to the east are "Islandia South", which are all named after artists and is owned by Anshe Chung. However, she does not own the protected waterway's 4 regions.

Then the route could theoretically continue northwards to further expand Sansara's coastline.

Sarah, Just FYI they are no longer owned by Anche Chung circa a 2006 LL auction. She developed them after Sansara was developed and later sold back to LL. They are LL mainland now. (I used to live there, adjacent to the waterway). 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3