You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 82 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• 9 months later...

Following the linking of the east and west continents of the grid on 30th March 2021, I'm pleased to announce today (10th April 2021) that I've successfully travelled non-stop from Sansara continent to Satori continent by sea. This is something I've long been wanting to do achieve.

I began my journey from the region of Osmium in Sansara and eventually arrived at Pounce region in Satori.

Total time taken: 1 hour and 42 minutes. Non-stop, no crashes, no cheating.

And without a working SL World Map too.... :)

• Like 8

1 hour ago, animats said:

The Drivers of SL group did that today. I was shot down at 400m altitude by a no-warning, no message,  send-home security orb while over Belessaria. So were others. ARs have been filed.

We need a Neighborhood Watch to bring these delinquent orbs to justice

(Where's a Keep Bellisseria Safe militia when you need it?)

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 4/5/2019 at 7:26 AM, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

I hope the continent connections, navigable air and sea channels which @Patch Linden  spoke of aren't exclusively for just their shiny new Linden Homes continent.

SL's "protected" waterways around the coasts of all other continents, are too narrow or shallow and are infuriatingly clogged up and blocked with selfish Resident owned objects and parcel "extensions" that aren't allowed and shouldn't be there. 

I think possible now, after 2 years of watching this topic, you can conclude that yes, the navigable air and sea channels are primarily for the "shiny new Linden Homes continent" -- and that makes sense from their perspective, as they have to stay in business to keep tiering half of the Mainland for all of our enjoyment (yes, Governor Linden owns about half the 6000 sims on the Mainland in the form of intentional "Linden Land" in the form of roads and parks and abandoned land. Look at the Grid Survey. If they've got 1500 or 2000 new sims now that pay for themselves and make a profit from Premium accounts -- good on them! They still own nearly 50% of land that is not tiered, unless I'm missing something).

Of course there is Blake Sea also, which has always been a special community promoted and supported by the Lindens because sailing is an ideal activity for people to do to enjoy the contiguous continents they have gone to so much trouble to make in the first place.

So I'm glad there is at least a slender connection of the Legacy Mainland to the newer properties, although of course many areas remain with "hard stop" unnavigable Linden seas, and probably always shall.

I wonder if the problem of ban lines could be tackled from some other point. Perhaps "bounce scripts" and any security orbs that teleport people home or eject them can only operate at X meters from the edge of any parcel, that they automatically fail at 16 or 32 meters from the border. That way there is an easement created for boats and planes to get by if they are staying more or less on Linden highways and waterways. As it is, if you fly above a certain elevation, ban lines aren't in effect. I don't think it's fair to demand access to all land on the Mainland that you don't tier, and that people are entitled to privacy or to the enjoyment of their land without all kinds of vehicles spamming across them unmanned, or containing people who often joyride and wreck their vehicles and leave them scattered around, where they lag sims if people haven't put on autoreturn on every parcel.

It might be an impossibility to script some kind of curb on "teleport agent home" that first senses a border then makes it inoperable for X meters. But if that were possible, it would be easier to do globally than to try to police a requirement that some rental companies have about not building smack on the border or not deploying orbs on the ground or only for X meters around a house.

Edited by Prokofy Neva

Hello all. I think that I've solved a little mystery today; of how to correctly pronounce the continent name of Jeogeot. And no, its not pronounced like the French car builder Peugeot! And also what Jeogoet actually means!

I got my sources from an early map of the SL grid drawn by Jack Linden (2004-2010), titled "Jack's Map O' The Gridde" which I found while nosing around at New Kadath Lighthouse Gallery, which has an extensive museum-quality collection of old and new SL maps exhibited at the lighthouse. http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/New Kadath/35/45/23

At the foot of Jack Linden's map is this image, there is the continent we call Jeogeot - which is actually labelled  지구 in Korean. Historically, Jeogeot was also known as "The Korean Continent".

4121c15d1bd77c5f3715f08e317c5436.png

지구 is a Korean word and translates to English as "jigu". 지구 Jigu is roughly pronounced as tzchig-oo. Listen to the translation here: https://translate.google.co.uk/?hl=en-GB&sl=ko&tl=en&text=지구&op=translate

According to Google Translate and Wiktionary (https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/지구) Jigu means "Earth" (with a capital E, so its a noun). It also means "district", "zone" or "area". I don't speak Korean, so I imagine "jigu" in its Jeogeot context is a mix of all the words and means "an area of ground", or "a strip of earth". Earth as in soil, ground or dirt, so not just literally "planet Earth".

Therefore, I'm theorising that "jigu" had been deliberately misspelled into the ficticious English-language name "Jeogeot" by a very creative Linden map maker. He probably changed Jigu's first "jig" syllable into "Jeog", and used a J in place of that very asian "tzch" sound that doesn't really exist in the English language. Similarly, the second "u" syllable became "eot", and adding a silent letter T to its end to make it more "exotic" looking when read, perhaps a bit like the "eot" in Peugeot, the French car manufacturer.

Jeogeot  is pronounced "tzchig-oo" !

Mystery solved!

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 7

SL's map seems to have been fixed and updated!

Here's a first look at the new link to Satori continent....

SL Map 17Apr2021.png

and the new Chalet Homes regions, which have a wide boat channel through them.

Chalet continent 17Apr2021.png

Pounce region is Satori continent's most south-westerly region.  On 30th March 2021, the link to Bellisseria was made with the addition of new regions CthhuluWindover Cay, and Carmine Sky to bridge the gap.1951721044_PounceSatori17Apr2021v2.thumb.png.760ae5fc6b5e294cc7aafd83d7c560b4.png

Pounce has a small peninsular or 'spit' pointing southwards into the ocean. As such, it is a useful landmark or waypoint between the Satori and Bellisseria continents.

The most southerly rez zone on Satori's southern coast is in Yeeowler , which has a 15 minute rez time for boats and small aircraft! This rez area is named the "New World Bridge" and is not owned or run by the Lindens or Moles.

The nearest Bellisseria rez zone to Satori continent is on the northern shoreline of Buffalo Springs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 4/10/2021 at 10:08 PM, Qie Niangao said:

We need a Neighborhood Watch to bring these delinquent orbs to justice

(Where's a Keep Bellisseria Safe militia when you need it?)

MIRAI Group has been passively reporting ARs during flights around Bellisseria, but we do plan on doing regular (once a month/every other week) FONOPS (Freedom of Navigation Operations) once we open up to the public. So far we've hit a few zero-timer or non-compliant orbs and either filed ARs or issued (friendly) warnings that non-compliance can lead to losing your linden home, but other than that it's been smooth sailing. Hopefully now that the World Map is up, we can start work on charting and doing regular checks to ensure safe travel through Bellisseria and major airways in Sansara, Bellisseria and Satori.

What'd help us accomplish this if anything is a HUD, script or something we can install onto a FONOPS aircraft (like our ZSK LJ-45) that can detect all the orbs in a region that aren't LL orbs, so we can do a second check with aircraft in those parcels to check their timers and range.

In the mean time, I can at least suggest for the new Chalet areas to follow the river that cuts through the area, as that is fully protected and leads you out to Satori and into the rest of Bellisseria.

Edited by Rathgrith027
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Rathgrith027 said:

What'd help us accomplish this if anything is a HUD, script or something we can install onto a FONOPS aircraft (like our ZSK LJ-45) that can detect all the orbs in a region that aren't LL orbs, so we can do a second check with aircraft in those parcels to check their timers and range.

Seems hard. Might be able to detect some common products (and that might be useful), but anybody can copy open source orb scripts, call them something boring and put them in an object named "SeXXXy Good Times Mk 4", and the only way to know would be to send a bot into every Danger Zone and see what boots her.

Unfortunately the drones aren't up to this mission, we'll need to deploy the droids.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I've been able to go from the west coast of Bellessaria to Satori by boat. Once reaching Satori, though, you can't go very far by water.

babypelican.thumb.jpg.18f9a5d1f6f4189e3dab5c1dcc30baf4.jpg

The Baby Pelican, in Yeeowler. This is as far as you can go northward by water. Nice place to stop. Leeward Cruising Club location. Water rez zone alongside the dock.

Many ban lines in area.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, animats said:

I've been able to go from the west coast of Bellessaria to Satori by boat. Once reaching Satori, though, you can't go very far by water.

babypelican.thumb.jpg.18f9a5d1f6f4189e3dab5c1dcc30baf4.jpg

The Baby Pelican, in Yeeowler. This is as far as you can go northward by water. Nice place to stop. Leeward Cruising Club location. Water rez zone alongside the dock.

Many ban lines in area.

There aren't many sail-able water parcels in the far south Satori, full of ban lines and orbs. In the far south Satori. Only Yeeowler and Fireheart are the SIM which has much more water parcels and better scapes, but they are still not connected to other waterways. 

When you arrive at Yeeowler, the better travel way is going through the Satori Southern Railway (SSRY) and walk to route eight at Bagheera.

• Like 1

Gaetas!.thumb.png.3110498525a11aac2729f1cf216c635f.png(Pinging @Patch Linden, @Abnor Mole, @Juliana Lethdetter.)

On 4/18/2021 at 2:53 AM, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

I've had a quick look at Gaeta I continent and worked out it would only need a maximum of 13 new regions to link it to Corsica's coast.

I posted elsewhere about this subject and @SarahKB7 Koskinen urged me to share it here too: I made this map from what can be gathered from the grid map, using https://maps.eddyofarrel.com/ at the lowest scale region names are still visible.

These region names suggest the shapes and locations of the lost parts of the Gaeta island group, forming rough outlines for the remaining of Gaeta I and for Gaeta II, II, and IV. These regions, to the north and east of Oppinjay, are not visitable and in most maps are  indistinguishable from actual void. I never even noticed these names showing in the LL website map until it was recently mentioned.

These region names are clearly temporary and slightly less cryptic than Bellisseria’s "SSP" region names: They are all named "Gaeta_" (actual underscores, not spaces) then a digit from 1 to 4. Regions that make up Gaeta I and IV have an additional "_reg" and a digit: Seems that while Gaetas II and III were planned small enough to be a single region cluster (I couldn’t fing any reference to this in http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Grid_Sector), Gaetas I and IV (and V?) needed to be internally divided. Apparently the parts of Gaeta I that were actually built were codenamed "Gaeta_1_reg_1" and "Gaeta_1_reg_3".

I used colors to differentiate these nine areas. The checkered pattern helps identify all the ersatz regions, along with the grid numbers on the sides. I enjoyed creating this map and hope it can spark additional interest in Mainland exploration and lobying for improvements in it. I think I didn’t miss any non-void grid square, but further exploration with https://maps.eddyofarrel.com/ would be intriguing, and maybe not 100% fruitless.

Back to this thread’s topic, why the large gap (13 regions wide as @SarahKB7 Koskinen mentioned in the quoted post) between Gaetas I-IV and Gaeta V? (Especially considering it is connected to Corsica… or was that a later addition?) Also, it’s unexpected that these four islands seem to have been planned with no water interconnections, although there's only 1-2 region gaps between each of them. Or maybe connecting regions were planned as water-only and for that reason never got a ghost name we can see on the map today?

Edited by 4lice Cerise
typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks again to @4lice Cerise for the map above.

Below, you can see the map again, I've edited in a probable terrain usage, maximised for efficient land use while allowing full boat access around all the coastlines. This would not look so straight-line and angular on the real map, so use some imagination and squint your eyes a bit....

1832489042_Gaetasterrain2.thumb.png.2a10fe5853a44b64ea1396bea5bf623b.png

• Like 3

On 19th May 2021, I decided go on a very long SL journey - from the most extreme north-eastern region of the connected mainland continents (Gaeta V - Giuseppe) to the most southern connected point, which I identified as being Tully Low at the bottom of Jeogeot. And by using only one vehicle, which was not an aeroplane.

The vehicle I chose was a hovercraft. Good on both land and sea.  And surprisingly fast. Well, at least the one I had was.

Reaching the Blake Sea from Gaeta V was easy and I got distracted by the Blake Sea's and Nautilus' familiar sights and places., I even crossed Satori's east side momentarily to visit the Mole island!  Realising that I was wasting time, I got on with the journey, going down through Satori, Belllisseria (where I picked up a passenger!) and into Jeogeot and eventually reached Tully Low - six hours after starting from Gaeta V. 

Feeling a sense of pride and achievement,  I decided to keep going. I decided to go onwards to the northern-most tip of Heterocera continent, which I identified as Fillip.  And a few hours later, I reached it. Then I went to bed very very late and exhausted. Would I do the journey again? Yes. :)

Here is my route, which was a bit iffy in places (apologies to parcel owners on Satori and Jeogeot whose lands I might have zipped across quickly...)

North to South to North trip 19May2021.jpg

^ Click map a few times to enlarge it.

• Like 8

I believe the shortest route to add sailable water between the continents would but to add about 18 water regions up the west coast of Satori from Carmine Sky.  I personally would prefer if they added regions on the east coast, but doing so would require more regions than that side.  

• Like 2

I would really like to see an open ocean connecting everywhere.

Once you leave a regions borders, a new type of server takes over that just manages the infinite space between, no rezzing, no new attachments or avatar changes, no inventory, no borders, no group chat, no IM, no voice, no teleporting in randomly, a hard script cap.

Just you, your vehicle, local chat, infinite open ocean, open skies and whatever random landmesh the Lindens' dream up. Better find an actual region if you need to change anything.

Regions show as land mesh merged with the Linden expanse, difference in water levels are cascading falls

Epic voyages, ocean galas, aerial combat and not a border crossing in sight.

• Like 10

8 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Just you, your vehicle, local chat, infinite open ocean, open skies and whatever random landmesh the Lindens' dream up.

if we had this I would probably live in the expanse. Just docking down to change my outfit and pop into the shops

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Once you leave a regions borders, a new type of server takes over that just manages the infinite space between, no rezzing, no new attachments or avatar changes, no inventory, no borders, no group chat, no IM, no voice, no teleporting in randomly, a hard script cap.

Something like this seems necessary for a virtual world to efficiently represent both vast sparseness and clusters of high density. It's not a design failure to need to specialize a simulation to scale in such very different ways.

Perhaps group chat and IM (and non-local voice) could be completely divorced from the region simulation (they almost are already, aren't they?) so then they could function the same in both server environments.

To interest users, it would need to support multiple agents crossing together. It might even be practical to dynamically add (and necessarily remove) members of these "fellow traveler" sets. It feels, however, that each set would travel separately from all others, and could pass through the same geography simultaneously but never become aware of the other's existence. The physics simulation would be per-set, not tied to the geography although read-only geographic features could inform the simulation for each set. Some geography could be pinned to static grid location and other stuff could appear at random like schools of fish; set-local EEP "weather" conditions, etc).

Maybe this new server would run a familiar 44 frames/sec simulation if that made it easier, but it may not be important to preserve that. Not all script functions would be supported: no querying or manipulating the parcel and region, but objects brought into the travel set could update themselves and interact with each other and the agents in the set (including, obviously, locomotion). Email and http might not be needed to start, but (grid-scope) Experience KVP might be practical to implement early.

• Like 1

(I mis-posted this to General Discussion, but meant to post it here in Connect the Continents.)

I'm new to the forum so apologies if this is old news, but yesterday I sailed the length of Sansara's southern 'polar' river from Montantola to Miller. I had to 'edit' my boat to the top of two 75' waterfalls and over two ice floes that blocked short stretches of the river, and I hit only one short stretich that was too shallow for my Shields' 10' draft. But I was surprised that I didn't hit any ban lines or security orbs. The rez point at the start is underneath a bait shop, but my boat floated to the middle of the shop and I edited it into open water. (Curiously, I must have been about 150' (the two 75' waterfalls) higher at the 'lake' in Miller than at the sea level when I started at Monantola, although I think you can sail from the 'lake' in Miller to the outside of Sansara without dropping down the 150'. I thought 'sea level' was even all over SL.)

Anyway, I just wanted to share something in return for all the great posts I've been reading here. 

Sansara's southern river.png

• Like 10

On 5/25/2021 at 6:19 PM, Haiku Quan said:

I thought 'sea level' was even all over SL.

It mostly is, at 20 m, but in some places it’s higher: Off the top of my head, this happens in lakes of southeastern Sansara, as you saw, in a part of Zindra’s river, in the caldera lake in Heterocera, and the lakes in central Bellisseria.

Edited by 4lice Cerise
southeastern Sansara, not just south
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've had another link up idea.

Transform a useless 4 region protected waterway "lake" into a useful east coast for Sansara, by adding 5 new regions to the sea between Sansara and Bellisserria. The water level in the "lake" is already at the standard 20m height.

1050687162_IslandiaSouth2.thumb.png.90bf7348535919c832a9d0efd041aed1.png

The block of 30 regions to the east are "Islandia South", which are all named after artists and is owned by Anshe Chung. However, she does not own the protected waterway's 4 regions.

Then the route could theoretically continue northwards to further expand Sansara's coastline.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 82 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.