You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 90 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

SANSARA to GAETA V by boat - Completed! (reverse of 16th August 2022 voyage)

135545052_OsmiumSansaraStart19Aug2022.thumb.jpg.15d210f3a36a6dfeeb001d00ee2a5413.jpg

Start: Osmium, Sansara (10:32:00 SLT, 19th August 2022)

1121459566_OsmiumSansaratoGiuseppeGaetaV19Aug2022.thumb.png.fd49b4f88049a0456973d7ab63e4274a.png

1119125732_GiuseppeGaetaVFinish19Aug2022.thumb.jpg.54a4d2b8e1244f5bd1621810d622be44.jpg

Finish: Giuseppe, Gaeta V (12:07:44 SLT, 19th August 2022)

Start Time: 10:32:00 SLT

Finish Time: 12:07:44 SLT

Total Trip Time: 1h:45m:44s

Total regions: 506

Total distance: 114.97 km (71.43 miles)

Top speed: 51.88 knots (59.70 mph or 96.08 km/h)

Average speed: 35.21 knots (40.53 mph or 65.22 km/h)

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/8/2018 at 11:05 PM, Geneer Gynoid said:

This group was created to grow momentum, popularity and plans to create a sim channel to connect the major continents in SecondLife

Above quote is from the OP.  My understanding and conviction is that "connect the continents" means connecting the protected water of a continent to that of another continent for the purpose of unobstructed travel. Connecting landmasses is not precluded, but that is not the intention.

• Confused 1

I just noticed that Willowtail Airport has gone and large areas of Willowtail and Graybar are abandoned.  Both regions are in south west Satori and very close to the coast. However, access to open water is still blocked by Imelza region.

I would hope LL Maintenance adds protected boat channels where relevant!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

I just noticed that Willowtail Airport has gone and large areas of Willowtail and Graybar are abandoned.  Both regions are in south west Satori and close to the coast. However, access to open water is still blocked by Imelza region.

I would hope LL Maintenance adds protected boat channels where relevant!

It was sad news that Willowtail Airport had been abandoned for one week.
The open water has reduced with building blocked in both southwest and southeast Satori.

I hope LL adds some protected boat channels too.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 3

I was flying along the coastline over in east Satori and couldn't help noticing there are a LOT of places out on the water that do this. I believe this is what's known as a 'dick move'. I actually came to the forum to post that maybe there should be an area of water all along the coastline of every continent in SL so people can sail around SL without having to deal with ugly crap like this. I mean come on. That looks atrocious. I'd feel embarrassed to pay the kind of money people are paying for places like this just to ugly it all up and make it impossible for people to get by. 

Along with all that garbage there were group access only ban lines on either side of me. Who'd want to be in the group responsible for that mess? 

Snapshot_107.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, NevaehHeartstrings said:

Did they ever add the Adult Continant of Zendra? If not all they had to do was add some water regions between going from PG to Moderate to Adult in ratings to avoid the whole Adult regions next t PG regions issue.

Only for very large values of "some." The global X coordinate of the south-easternmost extent of the connected cluster of continents and private islands is somewhere shy of 300000, whereas the westernmost region of Zindra (the Arapaima safe hub) is about 460000, so they're separated by a span of over 625 region-widths.

Zindra is also 150-some region-heights south of the nearest point on the connected cluster, which doesn't add much to the hypotenuse, but regions aren't connected on the diagonal, so the shortest path connection would require nearly 800 regions.

[ETA: this "south-easternmost extent" is unrealistically optimistic, now that I think about it, because I was using the bunch of private sailing islands that hang off to the east of the Blake Sea, which could come and go any time the Estate reconfigured. Sticking to Mainland continents, part of Gaeta would be a bit further from Zindra but wouldn't really matter that much since none of it could happen without massive growth in the user base.]

Edited by Qie Niangao
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Zidaya Zenovka said:

I'd feel embarrassed to pay the kind of money people are paying for places like this just to ugly it all up and make it impossible for people to get by. 

In Second Life, property owners can exclude access to their parcel. Consequently, if you purchase a parcel and desire access to connected protected water, you must make sure that said parcel actually borders on connected protected water. Otherwise, you depend on the kindness of other residents (many are kind but some are not). Linden Lab is under no obligation to remedy this situation, although rarely  they add regions that have this effect in pursuit of other objectives. With respect to Satori, there is no guaranteed access in some stretches... Steinhauer to Malfelonious on the southeast coast and Carver to Graybar on the southwest coast.

• Like 2

Just finished sailing all of Satori continent's available coastline by boat, starting at Furball at the southern tip of Satori.

I sailed an MLCC "Oceanic" yacht clockwise around Satori via Newbrooke/Stromberg, then east via Bingo Strait & Blake Sea, then down Satori's east coast ending at Ptesanwi, where there are literally no more protected boat channels to progress any further.

It was a spontaneous thing, so I didn't log/count the number of sims crossed, I started at 10:54 SLT and ended at 12:27 SLT, so 1h:33m.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Only for very large values of "some." The global X coordinate of the south-easternmost extent of the connected cluster of continents and private islands is somewhere shy of 300000, whereas the westernmost region of Zindra (the Arapaima safe hub) is about 460000, so they're separated by a span of over 625 region-widths.

Zindra is also 150-some region-heights south of the nearest point on the connected cluster, which doesn't add much to the hypotenuse, but regions aren't connected on the diagonal, so the shortest path connection would require nearly 800 regions.

[ETA: this "south-easternmost extent" is unrealistically optimistic, now that I think about it, because I was using the bunch of private sailing islands that hang off to the east of the Blake Sea, which could come and go any time the Estate reconfigured. Sticking to Mainland continents, part of Gaeta would be a bit further from Zindra but wouldn't really matter that much since none of it could happen without massive growth in the user base.]

Thanks for Info it explains a good bit.

Well if they can't move them hopefully they might spruce up the linden roads & places to give it a modern distinct feel. they would not need to go all out on a makeover just a smart revision of things. alot of the prim structures like the unigue railroad station/mall could still be there and even rented out again, just the smaller details refreshed instead of a 25 prim lamp post they could add a 4LI one. focus on reducing lag & sharping up the details.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NevaehHeartstrings said:

hopefully they might spruce up the linden roads & places to give it a modern distinct feel.

The photo is what Zindra looks like at 1000m (shot from an arbitrary locaton). My suspicion is that Zindra would be last on the priority list for sprucing up at ground level.

zindra at 1000m.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Fifteen new Stilt Home regions have appeared on the map today.

277624636_Stilts02Sep2022.thumb.png.4dab6b76d0f310419ccbbd4341d87f37.png

They are named:

SSPOrillas Nuevas, SSPTombolo, SSPEpharisto, SSPSwashbuckle, SSPPilates Cove, SSPGood Terns, SSPNaughty Gulls, SSPWhite Crane Bayou, SSPPearl Strand, SSPOysterParade, SSPSluefoot Slough, SSPLeeward Channel, SSPWhite Cliffs, SSPEarly Light, SSPSturmhafen

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

Fifteen new Stilt Home regions have appeared on the map today.

Oh goodie!! SSPLeeward Channel is particularly wonderful as it has a view Diamond Islet, so named because it is the shape of a pear cut diamond. Also has a picky-nic basket.

diamond islet_001.jpg

Edited by diamond Marchant
  • Like 4

So I've been enjoying a location on the old Teen Grid and I have to wonder, why don't the Lindens connect up the continents there? Now that it is no longer a place for teens and that program was discontinued.

I reckon they would only need about 40 regions to enable sailing from the old Teen Grid to Bellisseria.

Or better yet, pick up the entire old Teen Grid, and just move it in closer. I'm not saying smush right upside the new stilts. But you know, closer.

On second thought, hmm....

It is so peaceful here, among a number of reasons, because something is missing, and I hope it stays that way.

Connect the Continents.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Recently Satori Southern Railway (SSRY) has some rez zones, so that it can work with the train now.

In Yeeoweler, the rez zone is near the South Beach Station.
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Yeeowler/50/148/33

Snapshot_814.thumb.png.98737c833e52ae4614ecf5ecdfd1527c.png

A train/subwy station as a rez zone near the SSRY white line railroad in Tigerclaw.
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Tigerclaw/101/43/68

The nearby subway entry can teleport to the red line.

52388087273_ef64849c34_k_d.jpg

SSRY White Line Train Station by Jinny Seesaw, Flickr

52452691453_7f8af7fec8_k.jpg

SSRY White Line Train Station byLizbeth Morningstar, Flickr

And the red line also has a rez zone and the train rezzer. People can use it to take the train to the north.
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Sutekh/14/12/60

Snapshot_809.thumb.jpg.51a2260c64aaa2583cc058b152c85d4e.jpg

Edited by JSeesaw
Replace image
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 9/3/2022 at 7:20 AM, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

A minimum of 59 new regions would be needed to reach the 64 TSL regions from Furball in Satori

Appears to me as the lowest priority. A much better use of water regions is connecting the Sansara East River, completing the northern log coast, and eliminating that bad inside corner on the west coast of Satori.

• Like 2

Holy necro-posting Batman!

A couple posts up I see the note about the old teen grid that was posted into this thread 4 posts and 270 years ago.

If I wanted G land I'd be very glad it's NOT close to the rest of mainland. For the same reason that it's nice Zindra isn't.

If you have some need for G land, like being a child-avatar then being somewhere were the entire continent serves your community best is just perfect.

The problem regular mainland has is regions of differing maturity ratings existing in a checkerboard around each other creating a recipe for problems.

Edited by UnilWay SpiritWeaver
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 11/22/2023 at 8:21 PM, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

A couple posts up I see the note about the old teen grid that was posted into this thread 4 posts and 270 years ago.

If I wanted G land I'd be very glad it's NOT close to the rest of mainland. For the same reason that it's nice Zindra isn't.

If you have some need for G land, like being a child-avatar then being somewhere were the entire continent serves your community best is just perfect.

The problem regular mainland has is regions of differing maturity ratings existing in a checkerboard around each other creating a recipe for problems.

Some forms of my satire seem to fly right over people's heads...Glad to get the precise number of void sims for this exercise now...

On 11/22/2023 at 8:21 PM, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

Children are allowed on Mature, and Adult sims. However, they are not allowed to engage in adult activities.

I have a new parcel on Zindra where I have a bunch of board games set out. A child could play those games no problem.

Until of course I show up and kick and ban them, because hey I hate kids

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you connect the continents:

- With land connections, won't the connections be affected by continental drift?

- With sea connections, won't a really wide passage be needed to allow safe navigation for the potential amount of ocean-going intercontinental traffic? Otherwise, those pesky SLCG-types will just cause grief for everyone, pretending to manage it.

5 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Children are allowed on Mature, and Adult sims. However, they are not allowed to engage in adult activities.

I have a new parcel on Zindra where I have a bunch of board games set out. A child could play those games no problem.

Until of course I show up and kick and ban them, because hey I hate kids

Children are also not supposed to be in close proximity to sexualized content such as sex beds, sexualized objects or scripts.  If your board games are near any of that content and a child sits down to play...

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 90 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.