Looking for modest clothing

Pinky Vought

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2140 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello fellow SL'ers,

I'm a 47 year old woman RL and prefer to dress in SL as I do in RL on most occasions but cannot seem to find clothing with the coverage that I want. I'm a "normie" and don't really RP lately, I just build. I had a lot of stuff for the old av, but have the Maitreya now and have been struggling to dress it ever since. I guess I'm just extremely old fashioned to want clothing to cover the breasts, cleavage, belly and tush in SL, but that's the way it is. 

The only modest clothing I can find now is for like medieval, Victorian etc, but nothing modern like found in a Kohl's. Lol. Am I asking too much? I'd pay plenty for this because so far, I've only wasted money on clothing to get it on but still have a bare stomach because the picture was misleading. Yeah, I know I should demo first. But why are the dresses and skirts 'so' short now? They're just wide belts, else they go to the floor. Why are tops barely more than a bra? I'd like to find a dress or business suit that are not skimpy. Must the stomach always be exposed now? *eye roll*

I make items in SL but not clothing. It seems it must be very difficult by what I'm seeing, as if it just isn't possible to cover the contours of cleavage without the old, "painted on" clothing and a skirt is still a large bell around the waist. Am I correct in thinking this?

I've searched the market. If anyone knows someone who makes what I want, let me know please.

• Like 1

ONE reason why there is so much skimpy clothing is that it is EASIER to make in mesh :D.  But yes, "bands" are the new skirts and tops in many cases :D. 

Looks like Belle Epoque has some nice "demure" clothes. Here is their current ($10 to join) group gift. 

Belle-Epoque-Stacy-GG.jpg

And here is a pretty one from Stories&Co:

gentler side

Edited by Chic Aeon
ON became ONE as it should have been :D
  • Like 7

While I can often find dresses that are more modest, I still have difficulty finding tops and pants/shorts that aren't too skimpy.  Most shorts show at least part of the butt cheeks; most pants are cut way too low in the front; and most tops do not come down low enough to meet the top of the pants/shorts, even if said pants/shorts are higher up in the front.

There are exceptions, but they are extremely rare.  Couple that with trying to get a decent fit on the body, without having to alpha most of it, and it can be frustrating much of the time.  

One way I counter the issue of midrif showing is by wearing bodysuits (usually applier) with my pants or shorts.  Since applier tops sometimes look too 'painted on' around the edges, I'll also often toss on a jacket.

• Like 3

I had to google Kohl’s to see what she was talking about. I think what she wants is more casual, looser fitting clothing. 

My thoughts on that:

1) You can find that stuff anywhere, it’s usually mixed in with the tight fitting stuff. There isn’t really a store that just focuses on comfy looking clothes. So you have to piece outfits together. A nice pair of leggings, jeans or slacks from Addams with a nice blouse from Blueberry or Pixicat with a pair of sneakers from Tetra. You have to do what I call spot shopping. Go to different stores with nothing in mind, but buy the things you spot that you can turn into an outfit.

2) Looser fitting things in real life may be more practical in RL for many reasons. But in SL it’s not as practical. Loose clothing just doesn’t look as good asthetically, clothes don’t fall on your body in SL like they do in RL. Gaps and spaces between your body and clothing are frowned upon. There are also geometry considerations. Long story short, it’s easier to make perfect form fitting items in mesh.

• Like 3

Greetings Pinky,

you may want to try out *Coco*

here are some nice high waist pants:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/COCOHighWaistedFlarePantsBlack/14166114

here is a sweater:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/COCOOversizedSweaterBlack/13474398

you will have to look to see if there is something that you fancy : )

Kind Regards,

Josephine

This isn't very helpful advice NOW, but when we get closer to Christmas time take a look at the various winter-themed hunts that will be taking place.  Last year I picked up a ton of sweaters and a few pajamas that way.

I'm also going to suggest Legendaire, who do make skimpy clothing but also offer some maxi dresses that I could see an older woman wearing IRL.

Paradise

This was a group gift, the Legendaire group gift pile is MASSIVE and right now the group is free to join.  I think it's normally around L$100 or so, so this is a good time to jump in.  They also have an absolute truckload of great Slink shoes on the group gift wall, just so everyone knows.

I don't have any landmarks or stores but I do have style suggestions. Instead of looking at pieces at face value you can also layer pieces. The key to making most modest outfits look stylish is layering. I would suggest getting a basic white shirt, a black shirt, etc... Then try on some jacket/cardigans/dress demo's to see what fits over top of that (or get applier t-shirts to wear underneath).

I'm honestly quit inspired to do a lookbook now hmmm.. Maybe I'll be back :D

Another place for some more modest clothing is Baby Monkey.   She has a lot of nice separates, including a some applier tops for times when you can't get a mesh one to work right.  And if the old standard sizes happen to work for you, she has tons of stuff on MP for L$10.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

You could check out a few items from Steelhead, if you are not willing to pay ~250 LD for a single colored piece of fashion (blueberry)
Mostly fits great on Maitreya and always comes with a ton of different colors and patterns.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Steelhead-Back-Bay-Double-Breasted-Mesh-Dress-Suit/6732791
https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Steelhead-Bear-Creek-Winter-Ensemble/8201960
https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Steelhead-Sausalito-Sweater-Maitreya-AutoHide/7797742

Also worth a try is Hilly Haalan. Lot of naughty stuff, but still a lot of "casual" clothes. And of course, moderate prices and nice colors/pattern HUDs to give you a new look whenever you want.
https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/141517

I'd also recommend building up a decent base of quality applier tank tops/camisoles. They work well for underneath short tops, when you just don't want to show that much skin. Maitreya also has a tight-fitted mesh tank top that works well under some looser sweater I have, particularly if you have long hair to cover the shoulder straps (which are where I have the most trouble with the mesh poking through.) 

It can take some searching through stores; skimpy IS the most popular look, so many stores I've been in favor that style, but you can often find at least a couple of nice, more modest pieces in amongst the rest.

19 hours ago, Talligurl said:

Sometimes to short dresses, make modest tops.

That, too! If the dress is too tightly fitted to work with mesh jeans or leggings, once again, you can go the applier route: appliers jeans work, but applier leggings can look really cute under a "dress" that feels more like a tunic length top.

I don't actually wear appliers much, almost never on their own, but they are fabulous for lower layers. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2140 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.