Sexy clothes

Karina Leborski

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1749 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 6/5/2018 at 3:38 PM, Tari Landar said:

I dress like a hamster sometimes, because it's fun....and this is sl, so I can be whatever and whoever I wanna be, without giving a donkey's left nut what anyone thinks of it :D

I imagine others dress how they wish because they too, don't give a donkey's left nut if others like it, or not :D

Now I know why I don't see many donkeys in SL.

·         General thoughts on the matter...most of the clothes in SL nowadays are very short/open/sexy/*****ty... it's a general trend.

Certainly could seem that way. However, try visiting some of the big brand shops and counting the number of casual, conservative, sexy (not necessarily revealing), and hooker wear. Deciding which is which reveals your preference, bias, and prejudices. But, I think you’ll find the hooker wear is in the minority in most major brand stores.

·         Also, most female avatars (male sometimes also, but less) are dressed...well, not as they would dress in RL. The question for it - what's your reasons?

Most avatars do not look like people do in RL. Even our Santa Claus avatars look like a body builder champion. So, why would one expect dress to mirror RL?

There is a flaunt it if you got it mentality in SL. So, the 24-year-old hard body is somewhat the standard. Plus, various communities’ idea of beauty is on display. Latino, Asian, Indian, Black… all have an idea of what is beautiful.

So, the degree of sexy varies based on culture. What one considers acceptable street wear others consider overly suggestive ***** wear.

I wear short skirts and skimpy tops often. I’ve got legs and gorgeous skin. I like showing off.

·         Is it the limited choice in the stores, personal preference, your partner likes u dressed like that?

There is no limited choice in SL. Not even for guys. It takes some time to find those creating for males. But, they are here and there is quite a bit of choice.

·         Another question - do u expect to attract opposite sex and any romantic/sexual inworld interaction by wearing very little?

I do. I’ve even asked other gorgeous women if they have been hit on in the club we are in and how often. It is a form of validation and/or measure of how well I’ve done making my avatar.

But in the end, I dress to please myself.

·         Do u sometimes get offended by men hitting on you too explicitly when u dressed like that?

Offended… more often it is exasperated.  There are some REALLY HORRIBLE pickup lines in use in SL. (Big groan) Come up with a good line or just say ‘Hi’ and start a casual honest conversation. Don't make me work too hard to get picked up. Guys, carry your end of the conversation. But, I’ve heard some of the bad lines in RL too. SL is a realm of extremes and that is true in pickup lines too.

If I am really not in the mood, it is possible for a guy to be too direct. I’m not offended in such cases. But, I may not be as gracious saying no as I would normally be. Otherwise, I tend to be a little flattered and try to avoid crushing their ego. I mean, who knows, they may end up buying me shoes...

• Like 2

I realize it’s SL and you can wear what you want, so you’re going to see extreme cases. But....

Some people need to just go somewhere where there are a lot of people and look at how women are really dressed in real life. Leggings, rompers and athletic wear aren’t outside of the norm. Neither are above the knee skirts or tight fitting jeans/pants.

SL isn’t that far off the mark with clothing. 

39 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

I'm wearing a romper and sneakers with leggings in world right now (complimented by gold jewelry, of course). Is this not sexy? Oman. Bursting my bubble here.

Now change your shape to male and you are an instant hip-hopster :D

6 hours ago, janetosilio said:

look at how women are really dressed in real life. Leggings, rompers and athletic wear aren’t outside of the norm. Neither are above the knee skirts or tight fitting jeans/pants

I don't think the OP was talking about leggings, athletic wear, tight pants, or skirts above the knee.  I think she is talking more about the skirts and rompers and dresses that truly do not cover all of the rear end, tops that only cover the top half of the breasts or less.  I can't say as I see any of that type of attire in RL.

• Like 2

short answer:  because I can.

I don't look like my avatar irl, and can't wear the sexy clothes that she can.   I don't normally wear anything overtly revealing, there are a couple of exceptions.  A friend said my style was "sexy, yet classy".  Yes, boobage is seen quite a bit. However, they're nice boobs, so why not?  I've worn skimpy bikinis and long sleeve, high necked dresses all in the same day. It's whatever my mood at the moment takes me. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I don't think the OP was talking about leggings, athletic wear, tight pants, or skirts above the knee.  I think she is talking more about the skirts and rompers and dresses that truly do not cover all of the rear end, tops that only cover the top half of the breasts or less.  I can't say as I see any of that type of attire in RL.

I actually have found myself wondering why some of the creators make the things they do. Maybe it's stuff they want to see people wearing. Though I don't exactly have my finger on the pulse of SL fashion, maybe it's what the market wants. If so.... why does the market want this? The easy answer is that many people do like wearing very revealing clothing in SL, something they don't for various reasons, do in real space. I do so myself occasionally. But I prefer that it fit the situation/location/genre.

I can understand the reason for a preponderance of short skirts. My lay-understanding is that making long skirts well weighted for body X, playing nice with animations, is very difficult. In fact, having, in general, less body covered by an outfit might make an that outfit or article easier to weight for Body X.

So, I think, some of it is fashion , some of it is personal style, and some of it is the technical aspects of creating.

In the end, my opinion is that none of it is bad. Each of us will buy what appeals to us, and won't buy what doesn't. For me, this means that I'm going to have to start making my own makeup.

• Like 2

I think the question why the market wants it, or why it sells so well, can be pointed down to: Sex sells.
However, while I believe this to be true, I think it's a bit more complicated and has a lot to do with the different reasons why people join sl in the first place.
Technical limitations, such as the absolute hilariousness long tight skirts can be with some animations, are certainly another factor, albeit I believe it to be a rather small one.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

It may be some cultural things involved in this discussion. It may be some things that deal with location in this discussion. I’m really not sure. 

Heres what I know though. Where I am in real life it’ll be about 22 degrees by the weekend. That’s 90 degrees in ‘murkin. I’ve seen 4 women wearing rompers and countless ones wearing shorts, short skirts, tight jeans, leggings, tank tops...in other words skimpy clothes. That was just in the last hour being outside on my lunch break. Normal clothes on a Tuesday 

I take your point, yeah there are some clothes where the shorts are very short, the skirt is ridiculously low etc.Its not like some epidemic where women in SL only wear those clothes.

I dunno, part of the whole premise seems like shaming and a little disingenuous to me. Where do you find normal clothes? The majority of clothes in SL are normal or based off of normal things.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Which is what i did... and then rounded the .4

I figured... I was just highlighting the method for those other folks... The ones who use the Euro-Federalist degrees, in the interests of Education! ;) 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Actually its more like 71 F. 90 F is 32C.. 

You’re right. What I meant to say was “today it’s 22 degrees, Friday it’ll be 32 degrees. That’s 90 degrees in ‘murkin. That’s what I get for stuffing my face and trying to do world to ‘murkin conversions at the same time. Good catch.

• Haha 2

On 5-6-2018 at 6:38 PM, Karina Leborski said:

General thoughts on the matter...most of the clothes in SL nowadays are very short/open/sexy/*****ty...it's a general trend. Also most female avatars (male sometimes also, but less) are dressed...well, not as they would dress in RL. The question for it - what's your reasons? Is it the limited choice in the stores, personal preference, your partner likes u dressed like that? Another question - do u expect to attract opposite sex and any romantic/sexual inworld interaction by wearing very little? Do u sometimes get offended by men hitting on you too explicitly when u dressed like that?

Most of the clothes in SL nowadays are very short/open/sexy/*****ty.

Depends on your definition of sexy/sIutty. If you look at big stores like Addams or Blueberry, its mostly all normal cloth, most they reveal is belly and legs. If that's to much for you to handle, I would stay inside during the summer!

Also most female avatars (male sometimes also, but less) are dressed...well, not as they would dress in RL

I think the comparison with "how you would dress in RL" is non sense. In RL there are so many conditions influencing what you wear. From social ones to simple stuff like weather conditions, job requirements, body shape and that kinda stuff. The beauty of SL is that you are completely free to look like, and dress up how you want, no conditions, only limitations are your imagination and availability of cloths.

The question for it - what's your reasons?

For myself in SL I am always looking for high quality cloths (to my standards). Well done models, textures, mesh, good fit on my body. The style can vary from overly revealing to fully covering. Depending on the occasion and mood. When "working" in SL "skimpy" is an understatement. While normally exploring and hanging out, its more casual. Clubbing or certain themed sims its usually sexy with an occasional hint of leather or latex. And looks can change per hour too.

do u expect to attract opposite sex and any romantic/sexual inworld interaction by wearing very little?

No, I hope to attract same sex ;)

Do u sometimes get offended by men hitting on you too explicitly when u dressed like that?

Honestly, men will hit on you no matter what you wear. Most of the times its not even targeted on how you look, they just spam "Hi, sex?" to everyone on a sim or group.

• Like 4

I see my avatar as a doll. I enjoy dressing her up. I love sexy clothing. I like to wear revealing clothing on her. Also, when I shop, I am always looking for outfits that are two piece because I am a stripper in SL. I also love vintage clothing. But I don't have fun wearing conservative clothing often. I enjoy my avatar having a flirtatious, seductive look. I also like to mix it up and mix cute with sexy. I joined SL because I can dress up avatars. That is what I did in a previous game. It doesn't bother me if other users are checking out my avatar because it's an avatar. It's not me! lol So if a bit of cleavage is showing or my skirt is up real high, it doesn't matter. I know how it can feel real because in this game, you aren't watching your avatar, you're actually in first person mode. So people attach themselves to their avatar and think they are the avatar. So then these real life morals come into play and I just think it's funny. I once fell into that trap but I climbed out of the illusion.

3 hours ago, Kytteh Wytchwood said:

I know how it can feel real because in this game, you aren't watching your avatar, you're actually in first person mode. So people attach themselves to their avatar and think they are the avatar.

Hmmm, interesting.  I always felt that my avatar was an extension of myself.  Also, I don't think of SL as a game.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Kytteh Wytchwood said:

I know how it can feel real because in this game, you aren't watching your avatar, you're actually in first person mode. So people attach themselves to their avatar and think they are the avatar.

Maybe for you.  I do watch my avatar in third person mode, not in first person mode (to me, first person mode would be mouse-look where I don't see myself).  While I am attached to my avatar, I don't in any way think that I am my avatar.  My avatar is simply an expression of part of me.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Kytteh Wytchwood said:

I enjoy my avatar having a flirtatious, seductive look. I also like to mix it up and mix cute with sexy.

Me too!...
5b365e84172e4_DevilPosing.thumb.jpg.9cb918ad2bb5617018a0821e136da788.jpg

5 hours ago, Kytteh Wytchwood said:

So people attach themselves to their avatar and think they are the avatar. So then these real life morals come into play and I just think it's funny. I once fell into that trap but I climbed out of the illusion.

I can't imagine doing anything, either real or pretend, that ultimately didn't reflect my "real life morals". If you do, I wonder if you haven't fallen into the potentially harmful illusion that those other avatars don't have real people behind them.

• Like 5

Since I’ve been on these forums, I’ve seen some interesting statements about women’s appearance. Things that make me scratch my head have been (and I’m paraphrasing): I don’t wear makeup on my avatar because I don’t want to look like a *****, if you’re wearing a short skirt you’re asking for it (or deserve it...don’t quite remember which) and I can go on and on.

Its very interesting to me how people look at other people’s avis and what you see isn’t exactly what they see.

• Like 2

On 6/25/2018 at 4:57 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

Visit Santa Monica or the Venice Beach area on a Saturday night... or a Pride celebration in San Francisco streets... I've seen several SL 'Adult' regions that prohibit the things you'll see RL in San Francisco events.

I tend to think in RL people dress more conservatively than we do in SL. But, there are RL places and times where SL matches RL...

• Like 2

On 29.6.2018 at 1:16 PM, Kytteh Wytchwood said:

I know how it can feel real because in this game, you aren't watching your avatar, you're actually in first person mode.

So you are constanly in mouselook?

I think only the minority of users does that. I see my avatar all the time and find this not only visually more pleasing, but also easier to navigate.

• Like 3

I don't have much to add to this......

However, some of my happiest times were in my clubbing days in RL. So in SL my default outfits are clubbing outfits. In SL they are shorter, tighter and more daring than they were in RL, but I love it like that.

Yes I get hit on, but the girls I chat with say it doesn't matter what you wear, it happens anyway. Does it bother me? No. But most of the chat up lines are clumsy or way too direct to get anywhere.

Girl talk is far more fun. Just like RL......9_9

I use mouselook in the shopping malls but not really anywhere else.

Edited by BelindaN
Added final comment.

People do in front a computer things they feel intimidate or insecure to do in RL. 

I only wear a reveal piece when I found very beautiful, I don't choose one piece just because she reveals something more. Sometimes we don't have so many options, the creators make a lot things like that now. But I don't feel this necessity in game or in RL. Also don't think "pretty" people (avatars) practically naked. Mini tops and skirts are ok and fits better then RL hehehe 

Edited by Lara Aulder
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1749 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.