All the Governors Horses and all the Lindens

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2136 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, KT Kingsley said:

I've a vague idea that the ProductEngine surname was used by the outsourced company M had working on the notorious Viewer 2. But my memory of SL in those times is a bit hazy.

That may well have been the original purpose. The oldest ProductEngine accounts I've found date back to late July 2009 which should about the time they started on Snowstorm. Interestingly, one of them is Grumpity ProductEngine - I wonder if a certain Linden programmer has a shady past there... :P

The ProductEngine accounts are still used though and the latest I found was created only three months ago. I think it was Whirly who once mentioned they were people working on the viewer but not employed by LL. I took that as meaning the volunteers who submit code to the viewer but I may have misunderstood her.

Edited by ChinRey

On 6/4/2018 at 3:01 PM, Alexa Linden said:

At least you exist.... >.>

Alexa! Who says you don't exist?? Your bear is cute with a swimming floaty around it.

Is Rue Linden still around? I bumped into her shopping at my favorite SL store years ago. I don't think she had a bear :(

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Patch Linden said:

LOL, you all thought Molly Linden was fake.   *snorts*

I am still the LDPW Overlord, among other things.

48 minutes ago, Mazidox Linden said:

If I did any coding for Second Life’s viewer or server we’d all be in trouble! :D

38 minutes ago, Grumpity Linden said:

While I'd like to claim that I'm an engineer, because that would certainly garner more trust...  I really am not.

Thank you for your information. I have updated my list accordingly. :)

• Haha 1

I don't know if she even exists, or why I would be asked this, but I have been asked numerous times if I am Teagan Linden.  Its not like you can't see my name.

Seeing this thread I thought I would ask, is there even a Teagan Linden?  Unless I missed it I haven't seen the name listed here.

On 6/4/2018 at 5:12 AM, ChinRey said:

I can helpt you with a few of those and also add some rather important ones:

Andrew Linden is not active anymore. He joined LL in 2002 as the last of "the original 12" and was CTO from 2007 until he left for High Fidelity in 2014.

Eric Linden joined in 2002 or early 2003 and is probably the most famous of the content Lindens - you can still see his works everywhere on the grid. He also made the first machinima in SL and I think he also designed the system avatar. He got stuck near the center of the fault around 2007 and has not been heard from since.

Dee Linden is still here. She's the one to talk to if you have problems with some mainland.

Magellan Linden is a fictional character. He used to have a blog where he told about his journeys discovering new continents. He's later been reused as an NPC in various games.

I don't know anything about Kenny Linden except he's the man behind what is possibly the most inaccurate prophecy a Linden has ever produced: "There's always another guy to buy the island." :P

Philip Linden founded Linden Lab in 2000 and was the CEO until ... about 2008 or 2009 I think. He returned when his successor didn't succeed and left for good in 2012.

Torley Linden is Torley Linden.

Xenon Linden was the first Content Linden and he's definitely not active anymore - he left many, many years ago. He made the Iris Temple and some really good bridges.

---

There must have been thousands of Lindens over the years (vwinsofmration.com lists 1206 but it's probably not complete) but a few of the more important ones:

Cory Linden joined LL as early as 2000 and was the CTO and main idea man until he was fired in 2007. He later became CTO of Facebook and it has been said - and not without reason - that he was the main power behind FB's success.

Avi Linden joined in 2002 and developed the prim system. He was also one of the creators of what was to become Google Maps, but that was not while he was working for LL. Last I heard about him, he was working for Amazon.

Ryan Linden was Philip's right hand man. He left to follow Phil onto new ventures.

Soft Linden is the patron Linden of all furries. He's in the Sansar team now but still has time to do a little bit of SL work every now and then.

Ebbe Linden is the boss of all things Linden Lab does these days.

Oz Linden is the sergeant major in charge of whipping a gang of wild developers into a lean and mean working team.

Dakota Linden helps people.

Tommy Linden is the forums own special Super Tommy.

Adam Linden is definitely gone, too. He had another name -- Chad Linden. He left after the SL meet-up in Chicago (was that in 2006?)

Jack Linden was actually high up in the command in the old days, although you wouldn't know it because he hung out in the welcome areas -- but eventually he was made VP of the community. He left years ago, after some epic debacles but at least he finally got rid of ad farms. This was his poem:

So here we are, floating free
a stream of bytes and bits
and visual tricks, a digital you and a virtual me.

We burn so brightly, don't you see,
the old man himself hath no power so absolute
as we wield here so freely.

Kneel before the Metaversity.

Tbone Linden was supposed to be the economist of SL. He didn't last long. I have one photo of him in wire-rim spectacles trying to give a speech at a town hall.

Then there was the Linden who coded the LindeX -- Lawrence Linden -- who went on to work at MillionsofUs, a short-lived developer company that never got to that "millions of us". Reuben Linden was another great Linden who did community stuff then went on to MillionsofUs and today is still in the virtual world business.

Babbage Linden was the first prototyper of the Internet of Things in SL ages ago, 2005 I thik.

Xenon Linden designed the Moth Temple in Iris and other interesting builds. Go to the Society for Virtual Architecture in Warmouth to see a slide show he gave once about all his builds.

Bub Linden also definitely left after this ad campaign crashed they had put him in charge of.

Robin Linden left years ago, and has worked for other companies since then. Phoenix Linden also left years ago. Blue Linden went to work for a travel agency I believe. Pathfinder Linden was on OS and went somewhere else. Did you forget Lee Linden? He was ubiquitous in the early days and they made a cut-out of him that used to scare people. Remember Jeska Linden? She also left years ago.

When Kenny Linden said -- to ME, as it happened -- "There's always another guy to buy the island" -- he didn't mean, "there's lots of people who buy islands." What he meant is that if you complain about some awful thing in SL (and at that time, I complained vigorously about 16 m sign extorters, view-blockers who tried to get you to "buy the view," etc., and said "Oh, I'll abandon my land" or "Oh, I'll quit Second Life," he just blandly replied, "There's always another guy to buy the island." In other words, you're expendable. Other people will buy your land. And he's right about that. He was especially right about it at that time -- SL was booming then and if some customer left, another replaced him. Even today, he's right, even allowing for abandoned land and less islands. The Internet does not care, Linden Lab does not care who personally is on a web site or on a sim, as along as somebody is there, and somebody pays. It doesn't have to be you or me. It's not like a small town in America or Europe with real land as much as some of us would like it to be.

BTW, I'll never forget that night with Kenny Linden. I was surrounded by those view blockers in Juanita. So I boxed one of them in as I had land on all sides of his land. Oh, but that wasn't allowed. You could only put a fence or a wall on three sides, and the Lindens would come and remove your fence or tree blocking the 4th side before they'd remove a giant sign that said IMPEACH BUSH on a tiny plot set to sell for $10,000 or more. It took the Lindens four years to get over that phase of their hippie/Burning Man existence and put in rules that you couldn't do that, eventually getting rid of the ad farm extortionists.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Teagan Tobias said:

I don't know if she even exists, or why I would be asked this, but I have been asked numerous times if I am Teagan Linden.  Its not like you can't see my name.

Seeing this thread I thought I would ask, is there even a Teagan Linden?  Unless I missed it I haven't seen the name listed here.

Yes there was a Teagan Linden. Definitely. She did CS on the Mainland, even. I have her bear. I guess she's gone now.

• Thanks 3

17 hours ago, ChinRey said:

Oh, so it's not just for fun then.

I've already mentioned Brad Reason's blog post. It's outdated but a good starting point. Another good reasouce is https://vwinformation.com/ where you can look up the join dates.

There was a reason why I tried to kill your Mole thread btw. The wiki page includes a list of Mole names and also a list of their mains. Please do not try to connect names from the two lists. We have to resepct their privacy.

Off the top of my head (some are already on your list):

Content Lindens:

• Xenon Linden
  • Eric Linden
  • Bill Linden
  • Albedo Linden
  • Michael Linden (The last of the Content Lindens. LLDPW's boss until he left SL last year)

Programmers:

• Vir Linden
  • Soft Linden
  • Maestro Linden
  • Oz Linden (CTO since 2014 although I'm not sure if he holds that title formally)
  • Dan Linden
  • Kelly Linden
  • Cory Linden (CTO 2000-2007 - also a fairly prolific content Linden. Important note: Before he left, Cory changed his SL account name from Cory Linden to hir RL name, Cory Ondrejka. I think he also created a new empty account named Cory Linden but I may be wrong)
  • Andrew Linden (CTO 2007-2014)
  • Nyx Linden
  • Avi Linden (Not sure if he was ever formally employed by LL. He says he only did commission work for them but then again, so did his friend Cory)
  • Runtai Linden
  • Eli Linden
  • Qarl Linden

Not an engineer:

• Grumpity Linden

Bug Hunters:

• Mazidox Linden
  • Callum Linden

Mainland management:

• Dee Linden
  • Mia Linden
  • Patch Linden (Also LDPW overlord)
  • Guy Linden
  • Bianca Linden

Maintenance

• Mia Linden

Administration:

• Ryan Linden (also a prolific Content Linden)

Governance (withSL's coolest avatars):

• Governance Linden
  • Governance1 Linden
  • Governance2 Linden
  • ... (the highest number I've come across is 27 but they may have skipped a few)

Customer support:

• Boris Linden
  • Vix Linden

Bunny Jam egg decorating contest manager

• Libby Linden (also creator of the most minimalistic build ever seen on the grid)

Not quite sure what their roles are:

• Whitney Linden (I think she's in the mainland team but she may be doing customer support)
  • Lilian Linden (I think she's in the mainland team but she may be doing customer support)
  • Ginger Linden (I think she's in the mainland team but she may be doing customer support)
  • Dakota Linden (support and/or MP)
  • Derrick Linden
  • Madori Linden
  • TJ Linden
  • Theresa Linden
  • Jaida Linden
  • Reed Linden
  • Dottie Linden
  • Lilian Linden
  • Conan Linden
  • Evie Linden
  • Izzy Linden

Fictional/non-human:

• WorkingOnIt Linden (in charge of programming projects nobody is working on)
  • Alexandria Linden (account for holding the Library content)
  • Newbietemplate Linden

Not at all fictional according to an usually unreliable source:

• Molly Linden (used as creator name for the Linden Homes)

There are also other last names used by Linden Lab for accounts doing paid or unpaid work for them:

• Lab: Used for official announcements on the forum and official blog.
    • Linden Lab - 2011-05-16
  • Abuse: The AR department used that as last name when replying to abuse reports for a while. I don't think they were inworld accounts though, probably only used as email signatures. There may have been only one:
    • Indra Abuse
  • Scout: Used by the chat support people when chat support was outscored. Some of them may still be here - at least one Scout account was created as late as 2016.
    • ShndrkaG Scout
    • CoriR Scout
    • JacobT Scout
    • JonB Scout
    • JavonJ Scout
    • TiffanyJ Scout
    • KevinD Scout
    • BethA Scout
    • RenataS Scout
    • MaceioM Scout
    • BradleyH Scout
    • DeanT Scout
    • JnthnM Scout
    • JamieW Scout
    • Tasvana Scout
    • HenryO Scout
  • ProductEngine: Unpaid volunteers contributing to the viewer code:
    • Mnikolenko ProductEngine
    • AndreyL ProductEngine
    • AndreyK ProductEngine
    • Daianak ProductEngine
    • Pavelk ProductEngine
    • Maxim ProductEngine
    • Ruslan ProductEngine

Do you mean Alberto Linden who made the black Corbusier couch in the library and other things?

1 hour ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I was surrounded by those view blockers in Juanita. So I boxed one of them in as I had land on all sides of his land. Oh, but that wasn't allowed. You could only put a fence or a wall on three sides, and the Lindens would come and remove your fence or tree blocking the 4th side before they'd remove a giant sign that said IMPEACH BUSH on a tiny plot set to sell for $10,000 or more.

For once we are in agreement on something.

I used to have land surrounding an empty 16m plot. Then one day vertical ads appeared on it, so I put prim walls up around them, so that they couldn't seen. He raised the ads, so my walls went higher. Eventually he IMed me. My walls were just a very tall square chimney but I said, "I'm building a castle" to which he replied, "It's a beautiful castle".  In those circumstances, he was trying to be really nice lol. I don't remember how it ended, but he was never able to display ads that could be seen on that plot, and they disappeared. No Linden ever told me that I wasn't allowed to make the ads on his 16m bit unseeable.

• Moderators

Greetings All!

For confirmation:

I am the Marketplace Guru on the user facing side.  This means that I know almost everything there is to know about using the Marketplace, including the Marketplace Listing Guidelines Policy, but have have to defer to the Devs when there are problems or issues that are deeper than what Customer Support can resolve. (ie. bugs)

I am on our escalated Customer Support Team.  This means that if a user requires assistance that needs additional attention, like Tier Reviews, you may see my name on one of the replies.  

I am also one of the Forum Moderators and I try to help out on the forums, when I can, by pointing users to available information or channels for reporting issues, and sometimes jumping in to the various conversations when needed. (like now :) )

Edited by Dakota Linden
Typos: need moar covfefe
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

There was a popular club until recently where there one particular Linden could be found dancing on a regular basis.  He was dressed in one of the newbie outfits and I don't remember him ever entering into conversation.  I didn't recognise his name among those on the list in the original post.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2136 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.