The Latest on Last Names

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1502 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, Phil Deakins said:

@AyelaNewLife

From what I've been able to make out so far (but my memory is never perfect), it looks like it's going to be what you call a double-dip; i.e. you have to have a premium account to change you name and, if you have that, you'll have to pay for the name change. That's what i've understood so far, but, as far as I know, it hasn't been set in stone yet.

On the plus - for you... Since you're new to SL and won't have become too far entrenched yet, and because you didn't realise that your login name would be your avatar's name, there's nothing to stop you creating a new account with a name that you'd prefer. That doesn't cost you anything. It's not even a single dip :)

I can almost guarantee that the double dip would be the least expensive of the two options, if I wanted to get a new account back to the same level as this one :) if LL want to break their own rules and transfer all of my no-transfer things to a new account then sure, why not; somehow I doubt that will be an option.

I was so excited when I heard that last names are back this year, because I also got caught by this "login name is your avatar name but you will find out in world" thing. I was so disappointed, especially because I had already one old avatar with first and last name, but forgot the password and email I used (it was pretty old and I thought I would never come back to SL). I simply expected that LL might have done that as in online games - you create account with account name (login name) and then you can add some characters with separate names. Surprise, surprise...

Anyway, I don't mind paying for a change right now but I believe it should not be only for premium accounts. I understand premium account as some long-term commitment to pay in exchange for some benefits. A name change is one time action and it should be charged like this.

From the other hand, I am already used to my first and last names in my display name and I bet my last name will never be on LL last names list, so I do not really know if I want to change, even if I hate the login name I am stuck with.

#secondlifeworldproblems

26 minutes ago, AyelaNewLife said:

A single small fee (lets say $10) is more than enough for a name change.

What you could do (and what I plan to do) is pay for premium and whatever additional fee there might be for a name change, and then cancel premium. You could consider it one payment that you just do in two parts. The total will be the real consideration. 

Realistically, it would make no sense for LL to revert your name because you've cancelled. That has too many hurdles and pitfalls for them and especially the user. Like..

1. Your login name changes, this is confusing.

2. Your old names don't become available again once you change your name. This also means you couldn't change your name to one you've had before.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

What you could do (and what I plan to do) is pay for premium and whatever additional fee there might be for a name change, and then cancel premium. You could consider it one payment that you just do in two parts. The total will be the real consideration. 

Realistically, it would make no sense for LL to revert your name because you've cancelled. That has too many hurdles and pitfalls for them and especially the user. Like..

1. Your login name changes, this is confusing.

2. Your old names don't become available again once you change your name. This also means you couldn't change your name to one you've had before.

It's a shame that the $1000 bonus for your first premium signup doesn't kick in until 45 straight days of premium to be honest :P

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

and that has to do with the name subject?...

context, Alwin ... if you have to go premium to change the name first - and that is what has been discussed over the last two pages (besides the occasional rant) it matters

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

and that has to do with the name subject?...

If you follow the plan in the quoted text, and if you got that bonus the moment you sign up to premium membership for the first time, you're left with L$300 x 4 + L$1000 for your single $10 premium membership payment, which is pretty close to what you'd get by buying $10 of Lindens directly. Which would effectively negate that extra premium requirement for non-premium members to name change, assuming that they periodically buy Lindens (and I imagine most do).

Instead, I'd have to pay $10 to get $5 of Lindens and a few perks that don't affect me (personally that is), just to have access to the ability to pay a fee for the name change. Which kinda sucks, even if the amount isn't that significant a problem.

Slight mental gymnastics, admittedly, but I'd hoped that made sense from the context.

5 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

context, Alwin ... if you have to go premium to change the name first - and that is what has been discussed over the last two pages (besides the occasional rant) it matters

yes, but what has the bonus to stay premium for 6 weeks to do with it...  .. context but derailing again.

It's not about premium, it's about the change of names, premium is possibly, only one requirement for it. It was told before the fee for name change would not be in L$ , so totally irrelevant to bring other premium perks into this.

• Moderators

Greetings all!

It is wise not to speculate about what "might" happen at some time in the future regarding anything related to Second Life, or life in general for that matter. 

1. ALL new accounts will be created with the Resident last name. Whether your personal choice in viewers allows that name to be hidden or not, ALL new accounts will have the last name of Resident. 

2. IF a user chooses to become a Premium Member, they will have an option to purchase a different last name. The available last names will be from a Pre-Approved, rotating, list. If you do not want to purchase the option for a different last name, then don't. No one is being FORCED to choose a last name other than Resident.

3. Will having the option to choose a last name change the gobbledy-gook first names? No. Why? Because some people will still choose to have weird or goofy first names that have no meaning at all, regardless of whether or not last names are available. 

4. Will using your preferred, chosen, first name be easier when last names are available? YES!  Why? Because you pick your own first name, then have an option from a pre-approved list of last names, to pick from.  This means you will ALWAYS be able to have your preferred, chosen, first name, even if someone else is also using that name. Provided you are a Premium Account member AND you have paid for the option to have a different last name. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, Dakota Linden said:

It is wise not to speculate about what "might" happen at some time in the future regarding anything related to Second Life, or life in general for that matter. 

Just thought that deserved to be in bold :D. 

28 minutes ago, Dakota Linden said:

4. Will using your preferred, chosen, first name be easier when last names are available? YES!  Why? Because you pick your own first name, then have an option from a pre-approved list of last names, to pick from.  This means you will ALWAYS be able to have your preferred, chosen, first name, even if someone else is also using that name. Provided you are a Premium Account member AND you have paid for the option to have a different last name.

Wrong. You tried to make it all sound very good, but you were wrong. It isn't good at all.

Since all new account last names will continue to be 'Resident', one's "preferred, chosen first name' will almost always be unavailable, just as it's been for many years now. People have not been able to have a "preferred first name", and that will continue. That's why you are wrong. It might sound good, the way you wrote it, but it isn't good. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that the way last names are being brought back is bad. That's assuming that what you wrote accurate and not mere speculation, of course. And that's not a joke.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, Phil Deakins said:

Wrong. You tried to make it all sound very good, but you were wrong. It isn't good at all.

Since all new account last names will continue be 'Resident', one's "preferred, chosen first name' will almost always unavailable, just as it's been for many years. People have not been able to have a "preferred first name", and that will continue. That's why you are wrong. It might sound good, the way you wrote it, but it isn't good. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that the way last names are being brought back is bad. That's assuming that what you wrote accurate and not mere speculation, of course. And that's not a joke.

What she actually said:

In other words, going premium will allow people to choose a first and last name, and there will be more options for "first" names because they're coupled with "last" names. Realistically the "Resident" accounts don't have a "first" name at all.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Oh for the love of ...

Dakota is talking about the process for choosing your first and last name once you've gone through the other hoops required for getting a name change.

The default Resident last name may well already have an entry taken for what you'd prefer as your first name (say, BillyBob) but the same will not necessarily be true of every last name available for the service they intend to introduce.

If it is taken at the time you initially opt to change your name then all you need do is wait for a new crop of last names and go through the change then, as early as possible.

So sorry, his statement is quite accurate.

But then, it is your MO to look for ways to have an argument - even going so far as needless pedantry.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Dakota Linden said:

2. IF a user chooses to become a Premium Member, they will have an option to purchase a different last name.

Thank you for clarifying. While this bit is disappointing, I've had cocktails that cost more than a month of premium membership, so it's not a massive deal. C'est la vie and all that.

1 hour ago, Dakota Linden said:

Just thought that deserved to be in bold :D. 

Also, if folks would take the time to GO TO or LISTEN TO or READ any of the official meetings and interviews -- they would actually KNOW what there is to know.   That of course can (and likely will) change over time as The Lab shifts priorities and methods.  Still, it is murky enough when you actually know the official info  ATMIT :SwingingFriends:.

39 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

What she actually said:

In other words, going premium will allow people to choose a first and last name, and there will be more options for "first" names because they're coupled with "last" names. Realistically the "Resident" accounts don't have a "first" name at all.

That's not what she wrote, and it's not what anyone at LL has been saying. There will only be an option to change the last name - not the first name. That was my point, because she dressed it up are "preferred first name", and preferred first names haven't possible for years, and still won't be possible. The only first name action she mentioned was using it, not choosing it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Phil Deakins said:

That's not what she wrote, and it's not what anyone at LL has been saying. There will only be an option to change the last name - not the first name. That was my point, because she dressed it up are "preferred first name", and preferred first names haven't possible for years, and still won't be possible. The only first name action she mentioned was using it, not choosing it.

You are just flat out wrong about that. For a relatively long time now, we've known you'll be able to change your full name. First and last.

But I will agree about this not being helpful to brand new users who want their preferred name on signup like we used to be able to do.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Dakota is talking about the process for choosing your first and last name

Nope. She only talked about using the first name that was created when the account was created, not choosing (changing) it.

From what she wrote, the only time a person can choose the first name is when the accfounbt is created, and it goes together with the 'Resident' last name. But it must exceedingly rare that someone can choose a "preferred" first name at that point because all the last names are the same - Resident.

That's the point I was making - it's near impossible to choose a preferred first name.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

You are just flat out wrong about that. For a relatively long time now, we've known you'll be able to change your full name. First and last.

But I will agree about this not being helpful to brand new users who want their preferred name on signup like we used to be able to do.

If that's true, she didn't say it. Judging only by what she wrote, which is what I replied to, there will be no changing of first names. Maybe she missed it out. I can only go by what she wrote, and the only change indicated was the last name. She wrote about using the first name but not about choosing (as in changing) it.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

If that's true, she didn't say it. Judging only by what she wrote, which is what I replied to, there will be no changing of first names. Maybe she missed it out. I can only go by what she wrote.

You being out of the loop and opting to not look into things at all and only reading posts in a vacuum is not their fault. 

I would link you the announcement and related articles but being on mobile is too cumbersome. Please do the work. 

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 1

I probably am out of the loop. Her post looked to me pretty much like the definitive information on the topic, and I treated it as such. I hope I've been totally wrong about it. I'm only going by what Dakota wrote, and what she wrote doesn't even hint at being able to change first names. It strongly suggests not being able to. Perhaps she is also out of the loop, or maybe what she wrote is dead right, and the info in the loop has changed.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

You should probably rephrase that to say, "Like we used to be able to do with any account after our first once we figured out that whackadoodle naming system."  I suspect that the 'creative' type who saw the list of last names and said, "One of the last names is 'Pineapple'? I'll be 'Juicy Pineapple' and create a tropical empire - just watch me!" was the alt of bob1 Coconut, who was last seen with a box on his head yelling about how he was ripped off when he tried to buy clothes.

8 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

I probably am out of the loop. Her post looked to me pretty much like the definitive information on the topic, and I treated it as such. I hope I've been totally wrong about it.

On 3/22/2018 at 2:42 PM, Patch Linden said:

It will be complete and total name changes, both first and surname.  Just to set expectations on this, it is a later this year item.  

And you made several replies about it after you read that.

• Like 1

I've never claimed to have a great memory :P Quite the opposite, in fact.

Dakota's post, on its own, does look as though there will be no first name changes. If what Patch said is correct, then she simply wrote the post poorly.

Edited by Phil Deakins

2 hours ago, Dakota Linden said:

About the first and last name argument above by Phil and others.

PLEASE READ WHAT DAKOTA SAID.

Also know that until the service goes into effect, we will not REALLY know how it will be run. 

So from my understanding and listening to all the official meetings and such, the original account name will probably not disappear. It will still be used as a login name. The NEW (if  chosen) first and last names will replace in some ways the current display names but be less transitory and more permanent BUT with an additional (non-linden currency) fee attached EACH time you change your name.  

*************  Now here is an interesting conundrum.  If someone gets married and changes their last name or names if they hyphenate) can they change BACK to their original Premium chosen name later?    That "kinda" seemed like was was hinted at in the last DW interview, but I certainly may have misunderstood that.  It seems like that would be a GOOD option and perhaps a money maker for the lab. 

I am personally for an "opt in money maker" for The Lab if it is a choice by those spending the money and it helps keep the cash out fees down :D. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
Xed out something NOT possible. What was I thinking?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1502 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.