Avatar Physics - Recommended Settings.

Suella Ember

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3369 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I know what you are thinking!

You are thinking, "Oh cool! Suella has started a thread with some cool advice on the settings for the sliders in the new V2 avatar physics to get realistic movement".

Sadly not, but that is why I'm starting this thread. I just had a play but am feeling lazy and can't be bothered to find the right balance. So I'm hoping you (yes, you! :smileyhappy:) can tell me what settings you have used to get realistic movement (and I really can't stress realistic enough - I don't want to have my bits flailing all over the place causing injury to casual observers! :smileysurprised:)

Please post the settings you have used here so we can all get an idea of what the right balance is for realistic movement (I realise that there will be some difference based on shape, size etc, but I just want to get a happy medium for the 'avergae' avatar).

Thanks!

P.S. I'm sure we can manage to do this and stay PG (The words 'breast', 'belly' and 'butt' are, I'm sure, fine in this context of posting your settings. Just don't get over-excited and risk killing the thread for naughtyness!)

Hiya, I can't give you a recommended setting as such, it looks like it's down to boob size, and that different outfits will warrant different settings...

I had my first play last night and have this:

Max Effect on all 3 boob settings at 25

And then spring / gain / Damping on the others all left at 1 / 9 / 5

This seems OK and I decided to tweak it as it bugs me for each outfit :)

Morning, Suella :smileyhappy:

I have no facts, figures or advice to give on this thread, unfortunately. My SL bits remain as firm as my real life ones are *snorts laughing*.

But I do have this fab video, made by another fellow forum user - just a bit of fun ...

Ian Undercroft wrote:

I have an additional question. I'm running a viewer with avatar physics and yet cannot find the function. Is it the case that it's particular to the female body shape? Is it a "no no" for male avatars to wobble, ripple and sway?

Are you using the latest Viewer 2? 

If so you need to create a new clothing layer (New clothes > New physics). Wear it, then right click and edit it to alter the physics. Not sure how well it will work on guys. There are sliders for breasts, belly and butt so you should be able to get some level of realistic physics for guys from that (especially if you have moobs! :smileyvery-happy:)

If it's in a TPV I'm not sure how the physics works in those though.

Thanks Suella. I'm running Kirstens S21 RC7 which should be the same as the V2 viewer in respect of avatar physics.

I will have another look when I next log in, although I can't imagine that it's a feature I'll use save, possibly, for a laugh.

The principal male anatomical feature which might perhaps benefit from reacting to the pull of gravity obviously isn't catered for.

I think the problem with the 'principal male anatomical feature' is that technical limitations mean physics can't act on attachments, only the avatar itself. The same problem exists if females have 'attachments' on any of their 'parts'!

@Emma - thanks for those settigns :)

@Mari - LOL - fun vid! Thats kinda how I was after playing with the settings this morning. Any passsers by would have been knocked out!

The trick to realistic physics settings seems to be in understanding what the sliders actually _do_. It took me a while, and I'm not sure I figured it out correctly (I'm not usually in human shape).

Max Effect is just that... a general amplifier of the "bounce" effect. The higher this slider, the higher the initial bounce impulse. It seems to correlate to the effect of the softness slider in flexi prims. This one gets directly opposed by "Damping", the last slider (more on that one below).

Spring is kind of a "center spring", it pulls the body part in question back to its neutral position. If that value is low, the body part "swings" around the center more. If it's high, there's not much bounce. :) It seems to be akin to the tension slider in flexiprims.

Gain... that one is a bit of a mystery to me.

Damping. That one works directly against any bounce. The higher it is, the quicker any bouncing subsides. For me, the best analogy here is what I'm wearing. I.e. breasts: Nothing at all? Low damping. Swimwear? Medium damping. Corset? High damping. :)

It appears that if any of the sliders is set to zero, the corresponding body part doesn't move at all.

Presuming I wear swimwear, I'd probably go for something like these (values are Max Effect, Spring, Gain, Damping):

Breast Bounce: 36 33 37 24
Breast Cleavage: 30 3 9 50
Breast Sway: 32 2 9 45

Belly Bounce: 46 24 14 36 (barely noticeable on a skinny girl)

Butt I generally leave turned off... IMO the bounce/sway there looks ridiculous and wrong.

These values are for Breast Mass 0 and Breast Gravity 31, Breast Drag 84 (in the Advanced Parameters section). I left Belly and Butt at their defaults (Mass 0, Gravity 0, Drag 30).

I really wish some Torley...er... Linden lab employee would make a good guide on that one, explaining EXACTLY what the sliders do ~g~

p.s.: Apologies if the values are a bit specific... I'm really VERY rarely human. Sorry.

• Thanks 1

I have been using these settings since Emerald days and now on Phoenix.

Mass:                       90  
Rebound:                30
Max Vel:                  50
Friction:                   15
min Vel:                     1

They seem to 'work' fine for me.

ETA:  Obviously, V2 has some 'other' settings.  'Drag' just...doesn't...sound...right...

Thanks Jenni - just the sort of thing I was hoping for. I knew someone would have done some research:)

Jenni Darkwatch wrote:

I really wish some Torley...er... Linden lab employee would make a good guide on that one, explaining EXACTLY what the sliders do ~g~

I'm kinda hoping thats on Torley's ... er ... an LL employee's 'to do list'! 

Willow Danube wrote:

Oh,Dear Mary & Joseph...!!!

If the settings are viewer based like what it was before... I beg you people please do not make my avatar sway, jiggle and wiggle like Marigold's video!! If it looks painful to you its because it is .. :smileysurprised:

:smileyvery-happy:

Worry yee not my lovely little jiggling Willow! If you don't enable physics yourself, no-one else can see you jiggling, even if they themselves have physics enabled. You are in full control and can set how you want physics to work, or not at all, and this is how others who have it enabled will see you.

Having said that I'd still put a big plea out for people to please, please, please have realistic settings. I quite like having physics enabled (simply because it adds another layer of realism to SL) but I so hope it doesn't mean I'm going to have to witness hugely unnatural, over inflated body parts swirling around and causing small tornados! (Who am I kidding? That's exactly what we are going to have to witness isn't it?!) :smileysurprised: :smileytongue:

Oooooooo Suella started something. I've been on youtube for hours now watching all the results from the different slider settings. I really don't think there is a "perfect" one, its going to depend on so many factors pertinent to each individual avatar.

But this one, this has got to get RICd ;-))

I'm more interested in what is responsible for creating the effect. If avatar physics is managed by the users viewer (client side) then everyones settings are going to be different. How much does the various forms of lag affect physics as well. I played around and for settings that looked okay on me turned out quite wrong on someone else when I gave them the layer to try out.

Jonna Korhonen wrote:

I'm more interested in what is responsible for creating the effect. If avatar physics is managed by the users viewer (client side) then everyones settings are going to be different. How much does the various forms of lag affect physics as well. I played around and for settings that looked okay on me turned out quite wrong on someone else when I gave them the layer to try out.

It's entirely clientside, just like the old crappy "make everyone jiggle" code. Lag affects it a great deal, and if you run low FPS, it's equally bad. From what I can tell (I have SL on different PCs with different hardware), it looks identical on all avis if the CPU isn't totally hogged. As soon as FPS drops into below-20 range things get "interesting". The main factor there seems to be gain. If gain is high, it'll get... wiggly when it lags.

Jenni Darkwatch wrote:

Breast Bounce: 36 33 37 24

Breast Cleavage: 30 3 9 50

Breast Sway: 32 2 9 45

Belly Bounce: 46 24 14 36 (barely noticeable on a skinny girl)

Butt I generally leave turned off... IMO the bounce/sway there looks ridiculous and wrong.

These values are for Breast Mass 0 and Breast Gravity 31, Breast Drag 84 (in the Advanced Parameters section). I left Belly and Butt at their defaults (Mass 0, Gravity 0, Drag 30).

I tried those settings and my boobs looked like they were in an anime inspired earthquake - while I was standing still.

So I cut the first two of breast bounce to 23, and put greast mass up to 100, which gave pronounced effect, so I cut mass down to 20 and then adjusted up and down until it was just right.

Still adjusting belly - my AO sits and stands a lot, and when it does or when I walk your numbers make me look like Santa... and I have a flat thin belly - but it bounces a good meter up and down.

I understand it like this:

Bounce is shaking vertically from being moved vertically

Cleavage is shaking side to side, rather to the inside than to the sides, from being moved forward and backwards

Sway is shaking side to side rather to the sides than to inside, from being moved to side

Max Effect controls the farthest it can stretch and thus how noticeable the effect is overall. Firm when it's low, saggy when it's high.

Spring controls how quickly will it shake, how many shakes it makes. Hardly any shake when low and shakes like jelly when it's high.

Damping controls how long it takes for the shake to stop completely after being started. Ends as soon as it is started when it's high and shake goes forever like a clockwork toy when its 0.

Gain. I tried on other sliders different, to have this at 1 and see, then have it at 100 and compare, and honestly I see no difference. Is this a broken slider, or did they intend to delete it before release and forgot, because it apparently does nothing?

Overall any avatar improvement is good but I think this one isn't very well done. If you look on it closely, it looks just like when you set the avatar appearance sliders to 0 and 100, ugly and deformed.

And I think they shaped this after flexi prims blindly and ignored that while flexis were designed to make hair and ribbons, body doesn't move the same way.

Meaning, if take a ribbon and move it no matter how slowly, it will still flutter a little. Okay for a flexi but not for a body. Flexi thread reacts to shake and slow movement, but mody should only react to shake.

So when your avatar walks and runs, their breasts won't shake, rather they will move to sides and flatten, because she is moving forward.

And if she was in an elevator moving slowly, even with nothing shaking and jerking, if elevator goes down, breasts fly up your nose and stay there, and if it goes up, they get perma sag.

Maybe I just haven't noticed the slider that fixes just that, but i doubt it.

There is a decent amount of Help text available, some properties are *not* as assumed above: Editing Physics Move the sliders to customize parameters for your avatar's breast, belly, and butt physics. Note: If your avatar is male, you can customize only your belly and butt. Max effect Controls the maximum range of movement. If set to 0, the feature is off. Spring Controls the speed of vibration. A higher number means your body part will vibrate more quickly. Gain Controls the size of the effect when movement is triggered. A higher number causes a larger effect. Damping Controls how long it takes for movement to stop after it's triggered. A higher number causes the movement to stop sooner. Advanced Parameters Breast / Belly / Butt Mass Controls the modeled mass of the body part. A higher number makes the body part look heavier. This parameter affects all the other parameters. Breast / Belly / Butt Gravity Controls the strength of the pull toward the ground. A higher number means the pull is stronger. Breast / Belly / Butt Drag Controls the effect of air resistance. A higher number increases the air resista

I am playing and just going by wild trial and error.

Breast Bounce:
MaxEffect 32
Spring 62
Gain 49
Damping 78

Breast Cleavage:
MaxEffect 30
Spring 54
Gain 37
Damping 77

Breast Sway:
MaxEffect 30
Spring 35
Gain 54
Damping 74

As long as I am moving, this looks reasonably realistic.  Some bounce but quickly subsides or a single bounce per stride.  But standing around they will start fluttering around like butterfly wings on my chest.

I thought this would have something to do with gain, but turning that all the way up or down dos not stop the flapping :(

In the previous betas and dev releases, it was very easy to get realistic movement; a slight sway based on a lean, etc, without things flying all over the place.

As of last night, right before 'final release', they changed everything. Now, it's pretty much all or nothing.  "Max effect" doesn't really seem to limit motion, even with 'max effect' really low, stuff can still fly over the screen.

In the previous iterations I was able to get realistic and subtle movement. Now it's pretty much DOA2 or nothing, no matter what you do.

But if anyone does find something that isn't "comical or zero", please do post the settings here.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3369 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.