Transferring a shape to a new mesh head from an old mesh head

Lydia Alberti

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2124 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

What's the best way to transfer the current shape for my current head, to a new head so that I get a similar look/shape? My current head is the Lelutka Chloe but I'm thinking of getting a Catwa one, but trying on these new heads, it's really hard to visualise and I want to try and get it close to what my current one looks like. I understand that mesh heads have predefined appearences, but is there a way to get it close to what I currently have?

14 minutes ago, Lydia Alberti said:

What's the best way to transfer the current shape for my current head, to a new head so that I get a similar look/shape? My current head is the Lelutka Chloe but I'm thinking of getting a Catwa one, but trying on these new heads, it's really hard to visualise and I want to try and get it close to what my current one looks like. I understand that mesh heads have predefined appearences, but is there a way to get it close to what I currently have?

Shapes are interchangeable. You can still wear the shape from your old head with the new head, but different head makers may make their heads react to the sliders differently so there's no guarantee that it's going to look the same. You can try copying your existing shape and using it with the new head and then adjusting sliders for areas that look "off".

Each head model has its own style and reacts to shape settings in its own way, so you can't expect it to look reasonable with a shape designed for a different head. The best you can usually do is pick a head that comes close to your look and play with the shape sliders until it looks right.

I have a few heads that I wear and all have been adjusted to look much the same, but they only look right when worn with their own custom shape.

So be sure and DEMO the new head with your skin and find a shape before you decide on a head. 

You knew that I betcha but we get an awful lot of folks that just assume the head will look like the vendor and that ain't so :D

Also if you get a head where you current shape makes it looked deformed (some shapes definitely do NOT work with some heads) most sellers give you a starter shape that is mod so you can go from there settings. Sometimes certain parts are set a 0 which so isn't what it would be on a legacy head LOL. So watch out for surprises and "oh my" moments. 

What I did, was wearing two heads the same time. I was using the old head and then demo of the head I tried over it. It is many thing that we can edit in Bento, but not things like the length of the nose.

The Catwa heads look similar, but when you try on their demo heads, you see that they really are different. I found that their older heads have a nose that is longer than their newest heads.

When you found a demo head you think you can edit things like eyes and mouth on, take a few good photos of your face without hair or just the hairbase.

I didn't do it, but I was thinking that it's worth uploading the best facial shot to SL and put it on a prim cube. This way you can edit it up next to your head when you stand still on a poseball. I think that is better than looking at the picture in the browser, back and forth. You can even slide the prim face in over the demo head and see how well it matches.

What I did when I was trying demos was to take a snapshot of my original face, rez it on a prim and put it right beside me while I was editing the new one. Comparing the two side-by-side made it much easier.

• Like 2

First off, trying on a Catwa head with a shape made for LeLutka will look VERY weird. Very difference bases, and the look is...not good. So that won't really get you close. You can still DO it, and then at least you won't have to mess with the body at all, just the head, but you'll need to do a fair bit of work to get something usable, in my experience. 

Generally the suggestion is to try on the head with the shape in the folder, and adjust from there. It's a good idea to see if you can find a close skin first, pick up a demo of that, and apply it to the head you're demoing. Skin and shape BOTH make huge differences. Putting a snapshot on a prim is also a good idea. Or, if you have a computer that can run two instances of SL at once, or two computers, create an alt. Get your alt a demo of the head you want to try, and stand it right beside your regular avi, then edit the alt's shape to see if you can get a close match that way. Only works if you can run SL in two windows, though, or two comps. Otherwise, photo on a prim is a good idea.

Check a few key features right off - nose shape, for instance, doesn't really change that much. Size, width, yes, but if the nose is built with a wide tip, that's the silhouette it will always have even when you put it as small as possible on the sliders. Basic shapes won't change. 

• Like 1

On ‎03‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 5:46 AM, Lydia Alberti said:

this is somewhat tedious but worth a try. If you are so attached to your previous shape and would want use it for the bento head, I would suggest option #1 write down all the numbers from torso to legs (whole body) then input it to the default bento shape that comes in the package of your purchased bento head(I am assuming that the bento head shape is mod) or option #2 get(write down) the corresponding numbers of the demo or purchased bento (head, eyes, ears, mouth, chin, etc except the body ofcourse) then into your old existing shape, input the numbers. It will be your starting or base point in editing your facial features to your liking.

I am still using the original shape I did since I got here in sl. Although I had to do a major tweak when I went full bento. 

Snapshot_001.jpg

41499976665_52b7e39fe8_o.png

25588623627_6e097c6b66_o.png

• Like 4

9 hours ago, tako Absent said:

this is somewhat tedious but worth a try. If you are so attached to your previous shape and would want use it for the bento head, I would suggest option #1 write down all the numbers from torso to legs (whole body) then input it to the default bento shape that comes in the package of your purchased bento head(I am assuming that the bento head shape is mod) or option #2 get(write down) the corresponding numbers of the demo or purchased bento (head, eyes, ears, mouth, chin, etc except the body ofcourse) then into your old existing shape, input the numbers. It will be your starting or base point in editing your facial features to your liking.

I am still using the original shape I did since I got here in sl. Although I had to do a major tweak when I went full bento. 

Snapshot_001.jpg

41499976665_52b7e39fe8_o.png

25588623627_6e097c6b66_o.png

Beautiful Avi! I have heard a few similar to your suggestions. I will definitely have a go at your suggestion and report back. The idea of shaping my avi again is quite daunting but hopefully your suggestion shall make it easier. I have loads of the Catwa heads demos so we shall see which one matches best. I love Lelutka heads more but there aren't as many makeup appliers which is why I'm considering a Catwa one as well. 

Edited by Lydia Alberti
  • Like 1

There is a thing with shapes...

For many of us a mesh head is a late addition to our appearance. I did mesh feet then mesh feet and hands then mesh feet, hands, and body then finally a full mesh look. So, I had a mesh body shape that I liked.The included shape with the head didn't work for me. OK face but skinny body. My head shape really didn't work for my new head (right most top row).

Heads-n-Shapes.thumb.jpg.60af59d4ce14ec4d1305da8a379b1782.jpg

To make changing heads easier I filed a feature request to allow for either different shape exports or better organizing of the XML file. See the JIRA and if you like the idea please click WATCH.  BUG-216131 - Improved Shape Export.

The shapes included with most mesh heads are Mod-OK. So, they can be exported as XML files, basically a text file with a special writing style. XML is meant to be human and machine readable.

I and a few I know have sorted through the XML file and separated the body and head settings into separate files. We import the XML with just the body shape without the head settings. We can then wear the shape included with the head then wear our imported body shape which ONLY changes the body settings. So, I have effectively preserved the factory head settings and added my shape. Way easier than having to edit all my body settings. I then have my shape and only need to tweak the head.

Once I have this 'body only' shape I can use it with any head.

My hope is the Lindens will improve our Shape Export () so we can more easily edit these files.

Edited by Nalates Urriah
Picture issue

17 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

We import the XML with just the body shape without the head settings. We can then wear the shape included with the head then wear our imported body shape which ONLY changes the body settings.

I thought you could only wear one body shape. I'm not understanding how you wear a second shape (headless) along with the head shape.

Just now, LittleMe Jewell said:

I thought you could only wear one body shape. I'm not understanding how you wear a second shape (headless) along with the head shape.

You are right, only one shape. The body-only shape is an incomplete shape. When wearing the next shape I am mixing my incomplete shape file in with the previously worn shape.

Think about it this way. The viewer (server?) reads each line of the Shape XML file and changes the corresponding setting in the avatar appearance (shape) settings. XML files are written as a list of name and values sets.

Example: <param id="507" name="breast_gravity" value="0.000"/>

So... if a name-value pair is left out, the system simply does not change the existing setting for that value. By leaving out all the 'head' name-values I can add my incomplete 'body' shape to any shape and NOT change the head values. The viewer just doesn't do anything with those missing settings. I can then save the mix as a new complete shape. It will have the head settings from the previous shape and the body settings I just wore. I can save the mix as a new 'complete' shape.

Said another way... I am only wearing one shape. It is just a shape without settings for the head. So, the viewer uses whatever settings were left over from the previously worn shape.

• Thanks 1

why is this different than making a copy of your shape, then editing the new one to the head you are going to wear? I think often things seem more complex than they really are.. whatever shape you started with will NOT be the same once you put on a Bento/Mesh head and mesh body. The bodies and heads have pre-defined settings. If you want to go from a Lelutka head to using a Catwa head, just copy your shape, put on the copy, then put on the new head, then edit only the head to fit the look you want. Easy peasy. I do this like.. on the daily. 

• Like 1

@Tess Falworth There isn't a lot of difference. 

The reason it became important to me is the way I make outfits.

First, I searched for a head that had a look somewhat close to my classic head's. I found one in the GA.EG Jennifer head. I wanted to start from their supplied look. But, wearing their shape screwed my body. But, if I had just needed to modify one shape, it would have been easier to adjust the single shape.

But, from the days of Standard Sizes I have shapes for 2 or 3 dozen brands of clothes. To use the clothes that require those shapes with the new head I had a lot of work ahead of me. I tested my idea about editing shapes in their XML file form. It worked. So, once I got my shape right for the Jennifer head I exported that shape and removed everything except the settings for the head. Now I can quickly change my Std Size shapes to use my Jennifer head.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, janetosilio said:

If you want the old appearance, why are you getting a new head?

because we are talking about the current appliers in the market and their compatibility. Some people like their latest avatar recognizable as their original avatar but there are limitations because of compatibility issues. Majority of the content creators in sl are now working on mesh/bento products, from clothing to body parts. Even hair products, some store indicates the name or brand of the head for size recommendation. Your own body shape is might be the only thing that you can keep for the rest of your secondlife as a human or half human avatar.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, janetosilio said:

I am not the threadstarter, but maybe she has the same reasons as me.

The makeup slots on Lelutka is fewer than Catwa. And since I always switch eyebrows when I change skin, I am using the brow layer. And freckles, since so few skins is sold with that. If I use a hairbase with longer tendrils like this one: https://www.flickr.com/photos/129183655@N02/30402529981/in/pool-2755584@N20|129183655@N02/

So the hairbase is using both hairbase and eyebrows, or hairbase and tattoo. I have to drop either eyebrows or freckles. Or use another hairbase without the soft wisps of hair.

And to Halloween, it was really annoying because I wanted to use lots of add-ons like lipstick plus bloody mouth,  eyebrows, big eye makeup that uses eyebrow slot, skin decay on tattoo layer.... it is only Catwa that support such amount of layering, because they have double of each makeup slot.

Since I have Catwa on an alt, I saw how much better that is.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, janetosilio said:

I love Lelutka heads but the I found that there aren't enough makeup appliers for Lelutka heads. Catwa heads have so much more makeup appliers available on the market which is why I'm considering a second mesh head. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2124 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.