If you do this. I will NEVER buy your product

Coffee Pancake

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1583 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, Fionalein said:

Why bother to take an extra step when I know the creator has to conceal their "creation"? I already know they have to hide it's inworld look from me ;)

While that certainly could be true, it could also simply be a time saving move -- which is is.   A couple clicks within a 3D modeling program and you have a super clear "render" that CAN be used instead of a photograph.    

I would rather see an inworld photo, but I can understand why some designers might opt for this method ASSUMING (rightly or wrongly) that folks will try the supplied demo anyway :D.

Just sayin'. 

AND about that "looking better than they really are" comment -- that has ALWAYS been the case and can still be the case with INWORLD SHOTS. 

I have a pretty good computer with a fairly fancy graphics card. BUT it is over two years old now. Folks with newer  high end computers WILL see things better than "I" see them -- simply because of their hardware.   Back in the day the people that could shoot with ambient occlusion and shadows on had gorgeous vendor photos while those that could not -- did not.  So unless the purchaser of the product is in the top 3% section of fancy computer users in SL --- they cannot see what is in a super high end photo -- EVEN one taken as a screenshot with no post processing. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fionalein said:

Why bother to take an extra step when I know the creator has to conceal their "creation"? I already know they have to hide it's inworld look from me ;)

Honestly, the actual product that youll get for those kind of "deceptive" posters or ads are quite close to how it looks inworld. It is juts a matter of your own windlight and graphics settings. Try using Blackdragon viewer and youd be surprise  it doesn't quite look like sl anymore. What I am trying to point out is that, if I think the product suits my taste design wise and the quality is within my standard, why would I refrain from buying the item only because the ad has too eyecandy and somewhat deceptive?

Give me this kind of ads with no demo available is no brainer a no purchase for me but again darlin.... demo is free.

and to why bother extra step? it is just that I like the design and it might be the design im looking for to complete my outfit. ...

My god demoing is just a click away. what the f?

• Like 2

On 6/10/2018 at 9:08 PM, CoffeeDujour said:

Rendered objects often have significantly higher poly counts that the object you get in world.

I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't the case..

Also, another pet peeve of mine is the use of fullbright for MP photos. Sure, the texture looks good (assuming you don't need to show materials), but actually using fullbright is unrealistic and obnoxious. 

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't the case..

Also, another pet peeve of mine is the use of fullbright for MP photos. Sure, the texture looks good (assuming you don't need to show materials), but actually using fullbright is unrealistic and obnoxious. 

Fullbright on the product or fullbright like shadowless windlight? I really hate fullbright on outfits unless it has a neon thing or something to justify "light"

• Like 1

Hmmm... that looks like a reference model a creator might be using to see where everything is and how it looks accordingly to its design.  The image itself in question could be rendered to look more realistic in PhotoShop or GIMP so that they can make it more appealing to the customer wanting that style of boot or shoe.  It's simple marketing and advertising at its best.

• 3 weeks later...

MP-DAVINA.jpg

In world they look like ...

2018-07-06_004a.thumb.jpg.b201db3967862378e9843ae9002131bb.jpg

I believe the ad is rendered outside of SL but I could be wrong.  I base my guess mostly on the quality of shadow.  The in world shot is with LL's viewer and no special windlight; just good ol' Ctrl-Shift-Y for lighting.

I know it is easier to get the packaging shot with the creation tools and I don't really mind that as long as I have a reasonable idea of how the product will look in the wild.  I could spend a little time on setting up a shot so that the shoes on my feet look just like the ad. 

I don't know if anyone remembers back far enough but do you remember in the early days how some people would use real nude photos to make sl skins?  Creepy as flip.  Anyway, I am not against external rendering but the closer you get to photo-realistic imaging the less likely I'm going to trust that to look nice in world on me.

• Like 2

Not only do I want to see what it really looks like in SL, but if it is wearable I want to see what it actually looks like on an avatar, what the 'fit' looks like.  While I know that every avatar shape is different and thus the items will fit and drape a bit different on everyone, pics like this don't really tell me much.  temp.thumb.jpg.8654a90140d988c08aaf57bff27d1c78.jpg

• Like 1

Ads draw me to a product, so of course the more vibrant or innovative the ad, the better they get my attention.  Once they have my attention, I look for the demo. If the demo fits and I love it.....it makes no difference to me what the actual ad contained, as long as the correct information and demo were available from that ad. 

Like others, I do prefer to see SL models in them, as I enjoy seeing how creative people can be using inworld shots.  But, that preference still does not deter me from trying and buying a product that works for me.

They could dress Cookie Monster up in a pretty dress, if I like that dress and it fits..... I am buying it :P

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 7/31/2019 at 11:47 PM, Brue Gothly said:

So many laughable comments on this thread!  If a demo is provided (and there ought to be), then there is no issue.  The demo matters, not some in-store poster.

Well yes of course, not everyone is bothered by scammers either but does it mean it's ok?

• 1 month later...

I was just having this debate with another person tonight and we were talking about using DAZ/other things versus taking inworld shots. I know it's popular and in the end, it might hold my brand back perhaps from event organizers who are looking for those type of renders, but I feel like finding a good middle ground of shooting pics that show all sides like the DAZ pics, but done inworld.....is the best foot forward.

Something like this:

[Aleutia] Neumi @FaMESHed

I had played around with the idea of learning DAZ, but in the end, I am very happy I chose to stay only with inworld shots. Others may feel differently, but in the end, I think it's about what makes you happy as a designer and what you're willing to do to satisfy your consumer base.

• Like 4

I am not sure if I said this before,  but as a customer I want to get exactly what I see, not some trumped up DAZ pic that doesn't look like what I bought (but demos do help eliminate nasty surprises)..  and as a designer I want my customers to get that too.  And you can do a lot with the tools in SL for photography if you have the patience to play with them a bit.. and  for me that is the only way I will work,  take the pics in SL on a blank background and take the background out in photoshop and replace it with what ever I think works.  That way my customers are going to get exactly what they see.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, tako Absent said:

D E M O will set you free 😆

D E M O means that I will never see this vendor's demo. As 'demo' is my only go to search word these days

like: 'cork sandals demo' gives me a list of cork sandals demoes.  Pick from the demoes listed and add to my basket. Buy the basket full of demoes. Try them on. Like these ones. Back to marketplace. Search for sandals by name. Buy the sandals

i never see any sandals not marked as 'demo'

and now that I am in their market place store actually now buying sandals, I will have a nosey browse and see what else they have. Unlike browsing vendor stores who mark their stuff as D E M O _demo_ d*e*m*o, etc etc. Is not that I don't necessarily dislike their stuff,  is just that I never see it. And there are already a zillion other shoe stores anyways who are happy for me to get their 'demo' shoes to try on

It's pretty easy to see which ads are shot in SL and which are shot in Daz3d. I'm not a huge fan of it, but it's too widespread to refuse it - as long as a demo is provided, I don't really mind.

• 2 weeks later...

Its even worse when their ad is not as it is inworld and the product is a skin.

I personally dont like those 3d ads, even having demo to try it kinda ruins the "shopping experience". I give preference for those still doing inworld ads. There is a creator I used to love her outfits, and I loved her inworld ads made by a 3rd party photographer, but now its only a 3D ad and I miss a lot those old ads. With her new style theres a lot of releases that I didnt try demo cause it didnt get my attention with these new ads that maybe I would love it if I give it a chance.

Support the inworld ad is the new support your local business for me.

• 1 month later...

I'd prefer 3D renders over crappy in-world shots (most of them aren't even using max graphics settings) that you see in most stores that just sell retextured kits, any day. Why? Because stores using 3D renders generally have high quality products, with a FEW exceptions. Why would I buy something from a store where the creator's own ad for the product resembles something from 2005? Why do you think Blueberry and Scandalize use 3D renders despite offering top quality products and are two of the most popular stores in SL? Because they look much better, simple as that. Are you telling me you never shop in a grocery store either? Because you do realize 99% of CPG's use enhanced photos on the box right?

Now if the creator actually takes time to enhance the in-world shots without using 3D rendering programs, I'm fine with that as well. For example stores like Glitz and Zenith have awesome product photography that are simply photoshop-enhanced with better lighting and backgrounds.

Edited by MelodyClone1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1583 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.