If you do this. I will NEVER buy your product

Coffee Pancake

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1556 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yeah, SL pictures are always prefered over renders, but not really that big of a deal for me. You'll want to demo it either way, because static picture (even if it's from SL) is one thing and how it looks for you in world is another, not to mention possible issues. Even experienced creators with many good products make mistakes. Recently I did demo a pair of shoes from a well know designer that had big issues with texture on the back side, which weren't visible from the MP picture. Or another example is the hairstyle from another big and popular creator, that had terrible LOD issues (it would disappear at ~15m zoom, even on LOD4 setting).

Only real deal for me when I won't buy anything if there's no free demo or way to see it in world, in case of buildings, landscape things, decorations etc.

As for those boots... can't believe I didn't seen that flickr post yet! Going to demo them later tonight, one of my favorite shoes creator in SL these days, think I have around 2/3 of their creations (the rest are not my thing style wise).

I firmly believe:  1. Advertising Pics must be of the item as it is in SL.  and preferably with at least two views of it

2. Any mesh clothing item must have a demo and in the case of poses must at least have a place where you can go to test them out

in short DEMOs are a MUST if anyone wants my patronage

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

OK. I like the shoes. I am not one for that height of boots but I love the zipper. And who says everything has to be REAL or PRACTICAL inworld LOL.  When I was painting and doing exhibits in RL someone I didn't know came up and said, "Oh are you the "name here" that makes the REAL paintings. Being a surrealist (albeit a realistic one) I was not thrilled to be pegged as the person who did "real" stuff LOL. So we all have our points of view.

Whether it is a render photo or a vendor ad from an inworld snapshot I can absolutely guarantee that a ton of vendor photos look WAY better than the items. That's from a blogger's perspective and one that can and does have her graphics settings turned up :D. So yes, demo for sure. At the same time there are some folks that make nice products and take horrible vendor photos (especially gachas). So give some of those guys a chance with their demos too!   

I'm not a fan of it either. The renders I mean, those shoes are a nice design, not everything has to look like it was bought at the mall. I don't understand why so much stuff does.

Photobashing and overpainting are also signs to me that your product may not end up looking like the ad. Of course I am going to try the demo, but guaranteed if you've done that stuff to something like a skin applier ad it is going to look nothing like what you promised. I know designers need to make their stuff stand out amid the mass of other products, and all the stunning pictures on Flickr, but good SL photography and nice design can work just as well.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

When I was painting and doing exhibits in RL someone I didn't know came up and said, "Oh are you the "name here" that makes the REAL paintings. Being a surrealist (albeit a realistic one) I was not thrilled to be pegged as the person who did "real" stuff LOL.

How many surrealists does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

The fish.

(Ceci n'est pas une jeu de mots)

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

This is one of those things I look at as a creator and a consumer. I think renders are ok to use, but it’s a borderline thing. You have part of SL that knows what a render is and that what they’re getting isn’t going to look exactly like that. The other part of SL is the problem. The part that doesn’t know it’s a render and expects the product to look exactly like it does in the picture.

So from a consumer standpoint. It’s borderline false advertisement. There’s no way to make the product look like it does in a 3d modeling program. If you have a really good pc and good lighting, you might get close....but eh.

I was working with mesh yesterday and happened to do some renders of the clothing. First it looked so crispy! Yum. That leads to my next point: your ad is done while you’re working on it. (I still think some post processing needs to happen) it’s a time saver. Using a render pretty much says “I made this” so you know it’s authentic. Last, you get to see the creator’s vision. You know it’s not exactly going to look like, but you’re seeing what they had in mind.

2 hours ago, janetosilio said:

You know it’s not exactly going to look like, but you’re seeing what they had in mind.

Yes but at the end of the day you're not buying a vision, if anything it might cloud your judgement/make you assume you don't have the right settings/viewer/lighting, when really, it's never going to look like that no matter how hard you try.

This current poll from a well-known designer (name edited out ) kinda tells the story. Thought it might be of interest. 

Edit:  I wasn't TRYING to vote twice but the polling info disappeared very quickly and so I got an empty poll my first try :D.   Funny. 

poll.jpg.3b71f318761e18dd3574a866d5ee80f0.jpg

Edited by Chic Aeon

Interesting poll .. I voted and left the comment:  "Items advertised in SL, NEED to be from shots taken IN SL so we know what we are really getting, not some glossed up picture that makes things look better than they really are."  I should have added, perhaps working a bit on SL photography skills might help.

• Like 4

On 6/5/2018 at 6:58 AM, CoffeeDujour said:

If by "I made this" you mean "exported a Daz/Marvelous library purchase", sure thing.

Great point, and I have heard accusations of designers taking models directly from Daz / Renderosity because of their use of renders to market products.

I actually prefer this. These images do not  make things look "better than they are", but make them look EXACTLY how they are. I can gauge the type of textures used and if the person knows how to apply specular mapping correctly or not. On the other hand, In world photos are easy to Photoshop or lit beyond your computer's capabilities to render. That image is exactly what the creator made. There are dozens of variables that will effect how they will look on you in world. That is why God made demos.

Edited by princeofcatz
  • Like 1
  • Confused 6

To me, this is all the same as our own "How does your avatar look today?" thread.

Anything other than genuine inworld-only photography, untouched by external programs or software, is simply cheating. Or, in the case of this thread, mis-representation of the product.

Mind you, some store's have magnificent images advertising their products, but these will never be achieved within SL for anybody.

Boils down to common sense and realistic expectations.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, tako Absent said:

I'll skip the drama and try the *DEMO* before buying. Period.

Why bother to take an extra step when I know the creator has to conceal their "creation"? I already know they have to hide it's inworld look from me ;)

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1556 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.