Lines that annoy you most

Tisori

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1800 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Someone should run an experiment, put "I'm only interested in nice guys" in their profile and report back after a week.

Great idea!

The week after that, we'll run an experiment that involves staking someone naked and covered with honey over a red ant hill.

It would be interesting to discover which of the two test subjects lives longest.

• Haha 3

Most folks either don't read profiles or don't believe them.  Mine has said the following since I came back to SL a couple of years ago, but it makes no difference:
"I'm not interested in an SL relationship, nor am I interested in any SLex encounters."

• Like 2

I've had very good luck with profile pervers IMing me. In the last month, I've been greeted by two fellas at "The Far Away", one who shares my appreciation for Richard Feynman, the other my fondness for defenestration. Both encounters resulted in at least a half hour of delightful conversation.

Even back when I spent considerable time in-world, I very rarely got unpleasant IMs. My profile hasn't changed in the 9 years I've been a McMasters...

Biography

Your seeing this may mean I've taken a rare trip out into a populated place. Don't let me miss the opportunity to meet you!

Oh, and Snugs is my alt ;-).

Real World Biography

Born on a sultry summer's eve in 1970, I was home schooled in the '40s. I've never owned a TV.

I love: 
Feynman, Twain, Earhart, J.S/PDQ Bach, Frost, Reinhardt, oscillosopes, telescopes, microscopes, Scopes Monkey Trial... and defenestration.

Granted, I was all dolled up with trident and ladybug slippers, but surely that's got nothing to do with it.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
Jeez, I duplicated an entire paragraph!
  • Like 2

"I love your avatar except X" "Have you ever thought about different Y" etc etc, i.e. surprise fashion advice (always from other women).

I'm my barbie doll to dress up, not yours!

And I'm not confident enough in my looks to not get self-conscious when I get those remarks.

• Like 2

It's not really a single line as such, but there's this:

Every third person has something in their profile about how RL and SL are separate, or how you can't separate the two as they're unavoidably linked. That's all grand, each to their own and all that. But if you extrapolate that to "now you have to get on voice with me" or "GIV ME NOOOOODS", we're gonna have a bad time. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Donna Underall said:

Maybe we should all do this and report back!  hahaha

I’m up for it, we should do it and compare notes.

I already know what’s going to happen: A) you’re going to realize a lot of people don’t read profiles B) People do read profiles and don’t care what it says C) Some douche is going to try to convince you he is a nice guy and a quick glance at his profile or a prolonged conversation is going to indicate otherwise.

Nice is entirely subjective. Maybe it should be changed to....something else?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, janetosilio said:

I’m up for it, we should do it and compare notes.

I already know what’s going to happen: A) you’re going to realize a lot of people don’t read profiles B) People do read profiles and don’t care what it says C) Some douche is going to try to convince you he is a nice guy and a quick glance at his profile or a prolonged conversation is going to indicate otherwise.

Nice is entirely subjective. Maybe it should be changed to....something else?

"Nice" might be the best world because it's ambiguous?  I can start a thread for the experiment.  This would really be a lot of fun!  How many want to do it?

.----------.----------.----------.----------.----------.----------.----------v.----------.----------.----------

.----------Seriously? there's nothing more annoying than....----------BAN LINES.----------

.----------.----------.----------.----------.----------.----------.----------.----------.----------.----------  😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, BelindaN said:

Most guys don't read profiles. If they did they would know when I'm out with one of my sisters that she's my alt.....

😌😁

Oh...so I take it you’ve experienced the old copy/paste spam every female with the same thing routine( because they’ll never know) eh?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, janetosilio said:

Oh...so I take it you’ve experienced the old copy/paste spam every female with the same thing routine( because they’ll never know) eh?

Cut and pasting seems like a lot of work for those guys.  I thought they just had nothing to say...

27 minutes ago, Donna Underall said:

Cut and pasting seems like a lot of work for those guys.  I thought they just had nothing to say...

Nah. It's a lot easier to type something once, copy it and then just ctrl+v to several IMs that they already have open. It's the lazy way of doing it, when you think about it. Which says a lot about them.

15 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Nah. It's a lot easier to type something once, copy it and then just ctrl+v to several IMs that they already have open. It's the lazy way of doing it, when you think about it. Which says a lot about them.

I kinda get it if I'm honest, even if it's obnoxious to be on the receiving end of that approach. It's like throwing a bucket of darts at a dartboard - his success rate might be abysmal, but that one accidental bullseye validates his methods. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AyelaNewLife said:

I kinda get it if I'm honest, even if it's obnoxious to be on the receiving end of that approach. It's like throwing a bucket of darts at a dartboard - his success rate might be abysmal, but that one accidental bullseye validates his methods. 

Unless, of course, you target 20 different women on the forum at the same time.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, AyelaNewLife said:

That's the sad part. He may think that one bull's eye validates the method but that doesn't make it true or reliable. Just sheer blind luck.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Just sheer blind luck.

No, statistics.  This is why spam e-mailers and all those clowns who robocall your phone are in business. It's very difficult to predict the one or two suckers out of a thousand who might fall for your scam.  However, if you contact 1000 people at random, you can be pretty sure that one or two of them will. If you have time on your hands and communication is cheap, 0.1% or less is still a pretty decent return.  There's always someone ready to believe in Nigerian princes.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1800 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.