What does the Lab look for in feature requests that would more likely make them accepted? Does vote/watch count really matter or does it really come down to the content within? I feel like that specific content automatically gets swept away that they don't have resources for.

For example, what would make the Lab more willing to accept something such as UX/UI improvements to help with user experience, productivity and knowledge of tools?

Simply put; you must convince them that the requested feature is more important than whatever they're currently working on, as in, important enough to dedicate the time of at least one developer on it (who is unavoidably working on something else already).

Compelling arguments, attention (votes/watches), etc. are all things that contribute to them being convinced. You're way more likely to get a feature accepted with a good argument for why it should exist. Votes/watchers alone most likely won't be enough, but they might help.

You must also keep in mind that everything -- no matter how seemingly simple to the end-user -- has its own costs associated with it. Resources (people/time/performance), complexity (incl. architecture changes) and so on, which will affect how hard it is to convince them.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The most important things are:

• Clarity - think of your jira a persuasive essay you're turning in for an English class final exam. Assume that the reader knows nothing at all about Second Life (you'd be amazed how often I find out about some SL feature I'd never heard of because someone asks for a change related to it).
  • Simplicity - part of Clarity, but worth calling out separately. Don't ask for more than one thing in one Jira unless they are absolutely inseparable. Create multiple Jiras when you've got a list of things you think would be good additions. Not only does it make it much easier to understand, it means that if we decide to Accept some part of it we've got the internal Jira ready to use.
  • Value - explain why this makes Second Life better, especially how it make it possible to create more engaging content, attracts new users, keeps existing users, etc.

It's also worth noting ... we often Accept jiras that have some good idea or that do a good job of explaining a problem, even if we don't think that the specific proposal for how to address the problem is exactly what we think we should do about it. And of course, everything in our large backlog of good ideas must compete for developer time and other resources; just because we Accept it doesn't mean it will get worked on soon (it might or might not depending on many factors).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Oz Linden said:

just because we Accept it doesn't mean it will get worked on soon (it might or might not depending on many factors).

I think this is an important detail to highlight.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 1

On 30 May 2018 at 8:04 PM, Kurshie Muromachi said:

For example, what would make the Lab more willing to accept

Generally in the software industry, "Feature requests" must pass a number of criteria to be accepted...

1. Is it actually possible to implement at all.

"Please add a thing to automatically explode my neighbours cat when it tries to crap in my back yard so I don't hav e to go AFK to chase it away" - Epic Fail

2. Pros & Cons - Are the Pros major  enough to make this worth doing at all...

3. Pros & Cons again - Are the Cons minor enough to be ignored...

"I think you should change the UI completely, to make it more friendly to 'Hello Kitty' fans with tunnel vision who are only able to interact via eyeball-movement controlled blink-to-click mouse, from inside their Iron Lung Machine, thiswill encourage more half blind quadraplegics to use the app and the changes to the UI should only drive away 90% or so of existing users!" - Epic Fail

4. Will it cost a lot of money...

"So I was thinking why don't you just scrap the whole system since its older than [last years top seller in a different genre] and remake the whole thing in [different genre], that would be leet, and shouldn't cost more than $50 million to develop it right, with celebrity Hollywood A list screen talent voice overs and all the latest bells and whistles in GFX technology!" - Epic Fail

And remember, dev teams generally have a special list of "suggestions" that they have "accepted", kept in the "assigned to nobody - never implement" category...

This is because sometimes it's less pain to accept a suggestion then ignore it, than to turn it down and have it re-suggested every 3 months by a string of people.

• Haha 1