hannahwee10

Can't stay logged in SL for more than 2 mins

Hello all,

I hope that someone can help me as I'm nearly at my wits end with SL. Since I moved home 3 months ago, I haven't been able to join SL on wi-fi; after 2 minutes I'm constantly logged out with the message:

Capture.PNG.f87b092adc22c04051a902236219918c.PNG

I've tried everything; different browsers, a complete wipe of my PC, playing around with the WiFi router settings and absolutely nothing has worked. At a previous address (on an apparently slower wifi), I never had a problem and now I can't so much as login without being checked out. Other online games are not affected; downloads and uploads are fine on other systems/PS4/Netflix etc...its just SL!

I ran a speedtest that gave me the following but I'm not tech minded enough to understand the results:

Speed.PNG.b75646ab94cdbc7b899dff5665bea3ef.PNG

Can anyone advise on what I can do to try and make this work? I ran a search on the forum but couldn't find anyone with exactly the same problem.

Thanks in advance.

Hannah x

try wired

and post your system specs?

not just up/down, also your machine (copy /paste those from the help section in your viewer)

Thanks Alwin; Wired works ok; but it would mean getting ports fitted across the house and I'd like to avoid that if I can find a solution.

System specs below:

5b0ecd479e933_System1.PNG.ec453962308aa3079f6456fa919dbc8c.PNG5b0ecd4891c64_System2.thumb.PNG.3cd11e0c8dfbdfe4edc003321089bcfb.PNG

Stats.thumb.PNG.d5329cec00f827a30364906c55d55003.PNG

Thank you in advance.

Edited by hannahwee10
Added image

4 hours ago, hannahwee10 said:

At a previous address (on an apparently slower wifi), I never had a problem and now I can't so much as login without being checked out. Other online games are not affected; downloads and uploads are fine on other systems/PS4/Netflix etc...its just SL!

4 hours ago, hannahwee10 said:

Wired works ok;

Just to be sure: you were using the same PC and wifi card at that previous address where SL worked fine, right?

If you happen to have a spare wifi router, you might try a hardwire connection between it and the current router, and then try to connect your viewer machine by wifi to that "spare" one instead of the current one, on the premise that there's just some voodoo incompatibility between SL and the current router's wifi. (The "voodoo" might be just that there's more equipment connected to the current router's wifi network than at your previous, "apparently slower wifi" location.)

You could even create a wifi mesh network in the house, but that's not cheap and takes a bit of set-up. (It's increasingly popular, though, and folks really aren't stringing ethernet cables through new construction anymore.)

Edited by Qie Niangao

Is your router a fairly new one?  Another post mentioned that if you have N-protocol, 5GHz and a good signal, wifi may be okay.

What is your bandwidth setting in the viewer?  Sometimes playing around with that can resolve issues.  Don't go over 1500 and sometime less is definitely best.

Thanks both; will try and amend the settings. Yup; the same PC as at previous addresses that never had any problems. It is a new router, that is now fibre optic so apparently it should be quicker than previous routers.

I'm offline for the next week now, but will try these suggestions on my return. Also thought I'd pick up a Powerline Adapter to see if that makes a difference (as the wired connection seems to be ok).

Thanks all; am determined to resolve this!

Hannah.

The effect you're seeing means that the simulator didn't get messages it expected to get and decided that you'd gone away.

This is usually the result of packet loss. The packet loss in your screenshot above (which I infer was a wired connection?) is acceptable, so I'm going to guess that what you've got is a wifi problem. The first thing I'd check is whether or not you've got interference. Make sure your router isn't physically close to anything else electronic, especially anything wireless (cordless phones can be especially problematic). Also check whether or not you have other wifi sources that are on the same or conflicting channels; google "how to find best channel for wifi" for a lot of articles on how to check.

• Like 3

On ‎31‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 3:56 PM, Oz Linden said:

The effect you're seeing means that the simulator didn't get messages it expected to get and decided that you'd gone away.

This is usually the result of packet loss. The packet loss in your screenshot above (which I infer was a wired connection?) is acceptable, so I'm going to guess that what you've got is a wifi problem. The first thing I'd check is whether or not you've got interference. Make sure your router isn't physically close to anything else electronic, especially anything wireless (cordless phones can be especially problematic). Also check whether or not you have other wifi sources that are on the same or conflicting channels; google "how to find best channel for wifi" for a lot of articles on how to check.

Thanks Oz and everyone else for your comments so far; back online now so having another go at trying to fix this. The channel 'busyness' was acceptable (only one other user on there) so I'm assuming that is fine, and I've reduced all settings (graphics and bandwidth) within the viewer and still no change.

I'm beginning to think this is simply a problem with the router and something that I'm not going to fix. Have some powerline adapters arriving today so hopefully that will work.

Just as a quick update; the powerline adapter seems to have done the trick and I can stay logged in now. Really odd and slightly frustrating but at least I'm now back and can use SL!

Thanks for all the help and advice all.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, hannahwee10 said:

Just as a quick update; the powerline adapter seems to have done the trick and I can stay logged in now. Really odd and slightly frustrating but at least I'm now back and can use SL!

Thanks for all the help and advice all.

\o/

But makes me wonder, I loose my WiFi sometimes for one or two minutes without loosing connection to SL (of course I will have run into some wall until I reconnect, but I didn't loose the current login) Ubuntu/Firestorm here.