Sign in to follow this  
Marianne Little

Guardrail Mainland roads

I bought land next to a Linden road just because I wanted a "real" feeling of living by a road. I also wanted land for a house with garage, so I went looking for land with that in mind.

The land I own has that metal guardrail you are familiar with. I inspected it and saw that just where I would place the entry and garage, one piece of the guardrail could be linked off.

Thinking I could ask a LL employee to remove it for me, I bought the land and work on decorating and landscaping. I am sure I sent a ticket and asked nice if that was possible - provided a direct slurl and even attached the image.

5b0e600a27bbb_guardrailmetal_001.thumb.png.2b9685b66ef3650f12a02abfb2be87a2.png

Is it so that LL does not remove parts of the guardrail, and should I just give up and move?

I can not find the ticket anywhere in my tickets either, closed, open or pending.

Or is it possible that it glitched and was never sent?

Has anyone of you had any luck removing such guardrails, and how did you write it to succeed?

Edited by Marianne Little
making the title more precise
  • Thanks 1

LL will not remove the guard rail. What you can do is build a ramp up and over the rail, keeping the main root prim on your parcel. Just one option.

• Thanks 1

I tried once, the reply was along the lines of "Landscape features can not be altrered. We hope that our residents can use creativity and work their buildings into the existing landscape". (paraphrased)

Would seem a ramp is the best option. If you want it just visual and don't plan on driving through it you could derender the Linden rail and replace it with your own. 

And yes, I've also had tickets "glitch".

edit: Going back to my support history, the Linden's exact words: "I understand your request, however, this is not a service that we are able to provide. We ask that neighbors to protected land try to work with it as it is."

Edited by Callum Meriman

Thank you. Yes, I will think about a ramp. I will have to lift the house above terrain then... well, nothing much to do with it. I wanted land between protected road and protected water, I thought the rail wasn't an issue. I know better now.

4 hours ago, SkyhawkSkyrim said:

LL will not remove the guard rail. What you can do is build a ramp up and over the rail, keeping the main root prim on your parcel. Just one option.

with a huge chance as soon a Linden passes, it's gone again and returned/deleted.

45 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

Thank you. Yes, I will think about a ramp. I will have to lift the house above terrain then... well, nothing much to do with it. I wanted land between protected road and protected water, I thought the rail wasn't an issue. I know better now.

What you can do is leave the house as is. Derender the rail and build an invisible ramp.

This way you get what you want to achieve, you can drive over it and no Linden will notice anything out of the ordinary.

4 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

I tried once, the reply was along the lines of "Landscape features can not be altrered. We hope that our residents can use creativity and work their buildings into the existing landscape". (paraphrased)

I  have had success. LL removed two sections of a stone wall, one in Arlberg and another in Garmisch. I did push my luck and asked for another section in Arlberg but they replied one is enough in a region

1 hour ago, Cedric Brown said:

I  have had success. LL removed two sections of a stone wall, one in Arlberg and another in Garmisch. I did push my luck and asked for another section in Arlberg but they replied one is enough in a region

I can try to ask again.

I went land hunting in Sansara. It is plenty of land to be had. Many that border protected water, but not so many that border both that and a LL road. I found one plot. I was ready to take the cost of more land until I could get rid of my first dream land (sob) but then I saw that the road had stone walls, and grr! Exchanging guard rail for stone wall is really not better....

The region north of my current place has a huge chunk of abandoned land between road and water, and openings in the guard rail. But is it any point in asking LL to buy it? It is too big for me, and if I split it, it is hard to get it as I want anyway. It is not easy to shop land for a house with garage.

3 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

The ramp (unless you stopped it in mid air at your property line) is against the rules. Items do get returned as they are ENCROACHING (that is the abuse report category).   So just letting you know. I have lived on a few roads in my day :D.  Quite a few stories here on the forums. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

The ramp (unless you stopped it in mid air at your property line) is against the rules. Items do get returned as they are ENCROACHING (that is the abuse report category).   So just letting you know. I have lived on a few roads in my day :D.  Quite a few stories here on the forums. 

Thank you. I can of course derender the rail, but all others see it and.... it's a tiny bit annoying, I know it is there.

Demolish the house...

Build a Castle, with a DRAWBRIDGE!

Park your car in the castle courtyard...

;) 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

44 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:
52 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Thank you. I can of course derender the rail, but all others see it and.... it's a tiny bit annoying, I know it is there.

Yep.  I had one of the 16 meter signs across from my old shop (on a Linden road). Mainland is mainland. Odd though that a section is missing on another parcel nearby. Maybe trying a request again and noting THAT would help. Good luck.

40 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Yep.  I had one of the 16 meter signs across from my old shop (on a Linden road). Mainland is mainland. Odd though that a section is missing on another parcel nearby. Maybe trying a request again and noting THAT would help. Good luck.

Mainland is mainland yes, but I am prepared for eyesores. In case someone builds something really terrible here, I just move over to my other land in another region and stay there until the neighbor leaves or get something nicer. :D

Would be sad to just leave here, because I think it turned out nice. I just bought a new 512 in this region, because it was cheap and I had more land tier-free because of the 10% group bonus. It is high up in the hill and I plan to only use the LI not the land.

land_002.png

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Quite a few stories here on the forums.

One case that comes to mind is the person boasting of their encroachment. Only to have it returned a few days later. :ph34r:

That looks so lovely Marianne. If the lab can't help on your second try with lots of honey maybe Kly's solution of a drawbridge (although funny) might have some merit. Lift the garage up, and have a scripted ramp over the railing. Various script tricks could be done like it magically positioning into place as you are in the sim, and dissapearing when you leave.

• Like 3

To go along with Callum's idea you could raise everything up and then make a "driveway" down to the guard rail all on your property. It would be higher than the road but your car could LEAVE OK. You would likely have to pick it up and put it back in the garage or driveway on return though :D. 

I did not write a new ticket yesterday, I got caught up in shopping. 9_9

It is no disaster and I am not in a hurry, it is just annoying. But if it is something I learnt, is that there is always new land for sale. I think, if LL turn down my plea to remove a piece of rail, that I will not make a subpar solution with a ramp and raise the house. I wanted this look, to work with the slope down to the water.

My land now is three 1024 plots in a row, and it is one opening to the far left. If the house had a mirrored version, it would work, but it has not. The land really don't have room for a driveway that runs parallel to the road all the way to the left. I already shrinked the house 10%, I might shrink it another 5%  to 15%, thus making a bit more room on the land. It is not optimal, as I see it. (My second picture is not all my land, I have a 1024 right side of the wall and pier)

In addition to these three plots, I own three other small parts of land in Poliahu, but that is just odd pieces I bought because they were cheap and I can add the LI to my main plot. I will not ask for more alteations to the rails anyway, if the LL can accept one change per region.

If anything, it would be cool to have a platform hoovering in the air and a flying car! xD

• Like 1

You'd be a fool to give up such a good plot over a piece of Armco by the looks of things the barrier doesn't extend across the whole width of your plot some modifying/landscaping may be needed but you could have a long driveway going up to your garage starting where the Armco ends rather trying make the shortest route work 

16 hours ago, iamyourneighbour said:

Unrelated, but that's a nice house at a prime location.

Isn't it just? Way too good to give up even with that guardrail issue, and such amazing work decorating and laying it all out, I am very impressed.

I haven't heard anything, not even a confirmation that LL recieved my ticket.

Well... looks like I am in for "selling land". You should not feel too sorry for me, it is setting up and decorating that is 95% of the fun with land.

Actually, I already bought land. 4098 with double protected waterfront, direct access to the "L formed lake" and road with a part of the guardrail gone.

I hope I can get back what I bought the other land for, I know I will at least get some of it back. LESSON LEARNT.