Question

Hello.I'm interested in buying an abandoned land in order to list it for rental.My questions are: 

1.Would I be allowed to rent it?

2.Is there any monthly fee for/after buying an abandoned land?

Sorry if I sound like a noob,I just don't know many things about lands & such ☺

9 answers to this question

Yes, as the landowner you may rent it out if you  wish and yes, there is always a monthy land fee on any land that you own in SL. It's like paying property tax or a condo fee in RL.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ChloeVida said:

Oh,I see! What does 'Square meters donated' refer to,though?

that is land you put on a group to use for all members, you will still be responsible for the payment of the amount of donated land.

I'd reccomend you start reading the knowledgebase articles about landholdings before jumping into this.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, ChloeVida said:

Oh,I see! What does 'Square meters donated' refer to,though?

That refers to land donated to a group  if you want to get in to renting out mainland what you should do is create a group and donate tier to that group aside from the cost of buying land your first 1024sqm of land is included in your premium membership doesn't incur any any additional fees the land you buy should be bought by your land group so the land becomes group owned and then in your group you should set up a group role for your renters go through that role and give them parcel rights such as being able to ban people, change media settings, change parcel name, allow terraforming, rezzing Linden plants etc. what ever you feel is appropriate if you are going to rent a whole piece of land to one person.

this knowledge base article should explain some more about group owned land

• Thanks 1

Chloe,

Land is one of the more complicated aspects of Second Life.  If you don't know exactly what you are doing, it's easy to get in trouble...and to spend money you didn't plan on spending.

Definitely read the Land articles in the Knowledge Base...twice!

I teach a class on land on Saturdays at noon SL time, at Caledon Oxbridge University.  It's free to attend.  Maybe I will see you there!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And it's a great class!  Need to take it again!  I keep being told our group needs more land credits.  We donate and deed to the group - so not sure what they are referring to?  I will read Jeremy Lindens article.  But if any toughts much appreciated.  Jaine

1 hour ago, Jaine444 said:

And it's a great class!  Need to take it again!  I keep being told our group needs more land credits.  We donate and deed to the group - so not sure what they are referring to?  I will read Jeremy Lindens article.  But if any toughts much appreciated.  Jaine

you can check the land credits ( = donated m2 to the group) in the group profile. If it's too low there will be a warning sign there.

https://gyazo.com/8d425f478d2043f94f2e3875cb05b92f

and when to low

https://gyazo.com/53324a928472aa88a51239f3236708ad