Anyone able to aid to see what isnt working with my model?

VentusTheSox

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2155 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I had a model made for me for various games like VRchat and SecondLife. The Model is rigged up in blender and I believe Bento skeleton should be able to work with it,  when exported as DAE and tried to import into SL , the game shows the preview as the model cut in half and has hair and facial features high above. 

I have little knowledge about rigging and modeling and I dont know what is the issue. Any ideas on what can be done?  Im able to send the blend file and the DAE on discord.

Ventus

PS yes I know I dont have upload privileges yet. 

armature rig.png

Render.png

Upload preview.png

I don't use Blender but off the top of my head a couple of possibilities occur.

Did you make one side of the mesh and then mirror it with either a symmetry tool that's flipped the normals on one side of the mesh, which doesn't show in Blender because of 'backface  culling' settings? Or which mirrors the modeled half correctly, but you need to convert from a procedural form to an actual finalised vertex mesh?

Might not be either of those things, but check just in case, I've had occasions when late at night I've exported something from C4D, and oops, I forgot to convert that cool feature into an editable vertex mesh before doing so and it all went pear shaped and had to be redone. And I've lost count of the number of times I've had to correct normals on something before reexporting.

2 hours ago, Klytyna said:

I don't use Blender but off the top of my head a couple of possibilities occur.

Did you make one side of the mesh and then mirror it with either a symmetry tool that's flipped the normals on one side of the mesh, which doesn't show in Blender because of 'backface  culling' settings? Or which mirrors the modeled half correctly, but you need to convert from a procedural form to an actual finalised vertex mesh?

Might not be either of those things, but check just in case, I've had occasions when late at night I've exported something from C4D, and oops, I forgot to convert that cool feature into an editable vertex mesh before doing so and it all went pear shaped and had to be redone. And I've lost count of the number of times I've had to correct normals on something before reexporting.

I didnt make the model personally, long story short it was commissioned but then he had to stop for a reason, the model and rigging was basically done and the only thing needed was a good texture. I dont have a clue if it was mirrored but from an early wip pic I have I dont think he mirrored it entirely as there is one pic with the model missing the right foot but still has the left one.

Anyway, could you tell me how Id check for this?

1 hour ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

Are you using avastar or the standard blender dae exporter?

Standard DAE export, Havent got avastar and I hope not to spend 10000Lind on it if I dont need to.

Ventus

If you aren't using Avastar, the model is oriented the wrong way: it needs to be facing +X and your pic shows it's facing -Y. That's the first thing that will break it. Secondly, if the mirroring took place withthe model in another orientation, the exporter will NOT Apply rotations and/or the modifier and therefore the mirroring either doesn't get exported or if it is exported, it is most likely having the mirrored half overlapping the original side.

What you can do:

• Remove the mirror modifier first if it's still in the modifier stack (there is another method but this is easier and less prone to user error)
  • Select the skeleton and rotate it by 90 degrees on the Z axis so that the avatar faces towards +X
  • Select now both the skeleton AND the mesh, hit CTRL-A and choose "Apply rotation"
  • Put the mirror modifier back (if it was there in the first place)
  • Export using the stock Collada exporter

Notice that if you're using collision volume bones for fit mesh, Blender doesn't handle bindposes as the SL avatar assumes and, if that is the case, your mesh will look like squished towards the bones, looking like it was vacuumed or withering. There is no easy solution to this in Blender without Avastar, the only thing you could do is to go to each single collision volume bone and create custom properties for the scale according to the skeleton definition scale and rotation factor you can get from there.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2155 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.