Likes and or Wishes About Second Life

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2103 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 12.6.2018 at 7:55 AM, ellestones said:

i wish for more ways to torture prims. Able to champer edges and offset the hole be my first wishes

It's a bit late now of course but I've always wondered why LL never introduced offset holes to prims. There is no technical reason why they didn't, it would only require two more bytes of prim property data and it would have been a very valuable feature back in the days when prims were the only building material. It would be quite useful today even.

As for what I like about Second Life:

• The initial excitement of exploring
  • The great people I've met

My wishes for Second Life:

• That it wasn't quite as boring and predictable.
  • That it wasn't quite as laggy.
  • That it was still as open for creativity as it used to be and not flooded by mass produced meshes.
  • That I would hear from all the friends who just vanished - if only a short message so I knew they were all right.
Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 8

On 6/11/2018 at 10:55 PM, ellestones said:

i wish for more ways to torture prims. Able to champer edges and offset the hole be my first wishes

Imagine SketchUp in-world, or at least in-viewer. SketchUp is a constructive solid geometry system, kind of like prims on steroids. You can build a good house in SketchUp. At the end of building, a mesh needs to come out for use in SL, but the CSG model would be kept somewhere for later editing.

Asking people to learn Blender is just too much.

13 minutes ago, animats said:

Imagine SketchUp in-world, or at least in-viewer.

it still breaks  my heart a little bit that in the beginning of SL the runtime build tools where never expansively and progressively added too. Nor were any resources applied  to surfacing in the design-time build tools prim properties like particles, text, omega, , etc.  All these years later we still have to set these kinda prim properties with a script in the LL viewer

the other little heart breaker was that the avatar has always had cloth effects, and we never got any new tools to take this to the next level. Attachable tops and bottoms that could have been extruded, cut, deformed. Able to cut our hair differently, etc. All with the existing cloth effects

i often wonder where we would be at now, if LL had seen all this as something worth doing for us in the early days

i don't think they will ever come now. I still wish for them though

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, ellestones said:

it still breaks  my heart a little bit that in the beginning of SL the runtime build tools where never expansively and progressively added too. Nor were any resources applied  to surfacing in the design-time build tools prim properties like particles, text, omega, , etc.  All these years later we still have to set these kinda prim properties with a script in the LL viewer

This is precisely the lack of polish that makes SL so difficult for the average person to get into. There is absolutely no reason such features could not be set through the build tools. Imagine how much easier people would find it to get into SL if you could do things like set a chair's sit properties through the edit tools. If you could set up teleporters while never touching a script. Particles! Light effects! I'm happy the scripting features are there, they absolutely should be to give more control to those who can script, but there should be an alternative for the average non-scripting SL user.

• Like 2

I love the freedom about SL, that you can create (or buy) nearly anything. But on the other side its very hard to get into due to a bit of a learning cliff just to get used to the basics.

But if i could only change one thing it would definitely be how land is set up. The current way it works is far, far too complicated and most of all too expensive. Granted I'm mostly here for RP and similar so I'd love anything that helps increase diversity in the RP sims available. But as running one is prohibitively expensive the cost simply gets in the way and causes anything not backed by someone with enough disposable income or extremely popular to simply close down. I've seen far too many RP sims die lately...

i'd bring back a sl viewer layout that was as simple and straightforward as sl 1.23 was. im terrible at learning new software but that old viewer was so simple even i managed to persevere. 

i currently use firestorm with the phoenix layout. thats the first thing i tell noobs asking for help. go get firestorm.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Phorumities said:

i'd bring back a sl viewer layout that was as simple and straightforward as sl 1.23 was. im terrible at learning new software but that old viewer was so simple even i managed to persevere. 

i currently use firestorm with the phoenix layout. thats the first thing i tell noobs asking for help. go get firestorm.

↑ This.  ↑

The V1.x UI was way more intuitive than any viewer UI later on, the current one included. Back then in '08 when I started with my very first account, it took me literally minutes to come clear with the viewer - I even bought, unpacked and assembled my first freebie outfit at Free Dove (I think) just 10 minutes after creating that account. Maybe I understood it so quickly because I hadnn't been "spoiled" by any game UIs before - but anyways, I haven't seen any virtual world client UI yet (and I've visited quite a few since then) that was more intuitive than the V1.x LL Viewer.

And because the V1.x UI is so intuitive, I mainly use Firestorm (in Phoenix Mode), Cool VL Viewer, or Singularity on my machines.

And, Firestorm in general is  -  in my opinion - more user-friendly than the LL viewer. Also, they have better user support inworld. :)

Edited by ThorinII
  • Like 3

People tend to prefer what they're used to. When changes are introduced, people will often resist them, even if the changes really are improvements. I think that applies to most people who prefer the 1.x interface. I feel that LL should make the official viewer more appealing to new users, rather than people who've already moved on to TPVs and wouldn't go back to the stock client even if LL went back to the 1.x UI.

That said, I do agree some of the popular TPVs are more user friendly and I really wish LL would put some effort into making SL as a whole more user friendly. The contact sorting features in Firestorm are a good example of that. Everything about SL feels like it was designed by software engineers with no concern for the end user experience and that's a problem I'm not sure LL understands.

Anyway, another wish I have for SL, a feature I've always wanted since I joined in 2005, the ability to play parcel music through in-world objects. As in, you could rez a radio and set it to play the parcel music (or media, I've seen people use YouTube videos for their parcel music) and the sound would come from the in-world object. Things like that can make an environment in SL feel more immersive. Sound design has always been tragically overlooked in SL.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

After a long thought and weighing all the options, I believe the best thing about SL is that I don't have to put a bra on to go socialize. 

IMHO, the best socializing, SL or not, is done without bra, or any other clothes for that matter...

• Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2103 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.