Skin does not match the body applier it goes with

TheAumi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2140 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I recently got a skin from MUDSKIN and I really like it, although I've faced a problem.

5b07c4777a05a_imageproxy(1).thumb.jpeg.9800e64f7ba1a708b66cf728dc43908e.jpeg

(999 L$, 300L$ Body Applier)

I got the SHE : RUDA skin in the 104 shade. Together with it, I got the 104 body applier. (Body appliers have no demos)

As soon as I put the body applier on, I noticed that there was something different about it's undertone from the face's skin.

The body has a yellowish tinge while the face has a pinkish one.

I'm not sure if this is a technical issue on my end so I'm looking into doing something about it. It may also be the skin itself.

Snapshot_005.thumb.png.e3495be2cb8499696c374ce0a11018fc.png

(Am I the only one seeing how the undertones are different??)

Either way I sent a notecard to the creator letting her know about this.

I'd like to know what you guys think. Maybe I could do something about it?

Thank you!

Edited by TheAumi

I had to look really closely to see any difference. A lot of skin makers don't quite get the tone match exactly right between the body and the head, so it probably isn't you with the problem. Do you perhaps have some sort of shiny option turned on for the head or body that could be making them look slightly different? Some mesh bodies have a tinting panel in the HUD, that might be an option, but it would want to be some finely tuned tinting for that small amount of difference.

As there is no neck seam (at least I spot none in the picture) it looks like it belongs that way. Skins contain a lot of baking, one of the skins I have has another colour for my left and right ear...

To me the skin looks fine... what lighting model (graphics setting) do you use? Mabye it is a shading problem.

Edited by Fionalein

4 minutes ago, Stephanie Misfit said:

I had to look really closely to see any difference. A lot of skin makers don't quite get the tone match exactly right between the body and the head, so it probably isn't you with the problem. Do you perhaps have some sort of shiny option turned on for the head or body that could be making them look slightly different? Some mesh bodies have a tinting panel in the HUD, that might be an option, but it would want to be some finely tuned tinting for that small amount of difference.

I'm not sure if I have a shiny option on, could you tell me how to access that? Is the tinting panel the one with the different skin tones? I have a Maitreya body and a Catwa head. xD

10 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

As there is no neck seam (at least I spot none in the picture) it looks like it belongs that way. Skins contain a lot of baking, one of the skins I have has another colour for my left and right ear...

To me the skin looks fine... what lighting model (graphics setting) do you use? Mabye it is a shading problem.

There is a neck seam when I put my windlight settings on the Default. Although, I think any windlight that isn't mesh-friendly does that?

I've used CalWl and *Canimod (I'm on the Firestorm Viewer) to look at my avi as I've heard those are pretty good ones to spot some things.

I just have Basic shaders and Atmospheric shaders on with regards to my graphic settings. ^_^

Ahh another Widlight fallacy victim... Windlight changes no way others see you - stuff that onyl works with special windlights ... doesn't ;)

No I meant graphics options like no shades, basic shades, and so on in your graphics setting, it also changes with graphics general slider, if I drop my slider to medium or low a seam appears...

Edited by Fionalein

11 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

Ahh another Widlight fallacy victim... Windlight changes no way others see you - stuff that onyl works with special windlights ... doesn't ;)

No I meant graphics options like no shades, basic shades, and so on in your graphics setting, it also changes with graphics general slider, if I drop my slider to medium or low a seam appears...

Yes, I know that Windlight doesn't make others see me a different way. I've just been told that looking at your avi at those two windlights could help me see what I wanna see better. 

It may just be me but I actually see a subtle seam somewhere in there. This is me on Ultra.

Snapshot_006.thumb.png.aa36e44a821bc9673633cff02c32fade.png

No, the seam is there, but the colours match perfectly (you can see that an the spots where the seam dissapears), it more looks like the two neck halfs do not line up proper, but that is easy to test: Does it happen with other skins too?

Edited by Fionalein

First off -- I just did a test and no matter what Windlight I use (I have a bunch of personally made ones too) I cannot see a seam in my neck. I have and old Lelutka head, Maitreya body and amais skin.  So we can't blame skin seams on Windlight IF they really match perfectly.  But I can't see any seam in the photo either. Some skin makers (WoW for one) tend to make the faces lighter and with more contrast than the body skin that goes with them. There is no seam, but there also is less consistency in look.  My alt wears Wow and it looks great on her, but there is that contrast and you can see a slight seam.      

In your case it looks more like a design choice than a flaw and in the scheme of things it is a very tiny flaw if that -- compared to many other skin makers.  

I do agree that it would have been VERY good to have a demo for the body skin.   I wouldn't have purchased simply because of that.  

image.png.7dc04163e6719562960e64f7e106f8ec.png

Make sure your head or body didn't get tinted accidentally. Is it all the way around? if yes than either the appliers don't match or the head or body got tinted.

If the back of the neck matches or it changes with the way your avatar is facing it could be the windlight and you'll just need to use one that looks the best to you.

It may also be that the creator carried the shading on the front of the face too far down the neck.

Yeah, try other skins and if it is happening on those too, check for tinting on your head and/or body hud or get a fresh copy of both.

I'm leaning towards a combination of low graphic settings along with a bit of a shape mismatch.

The rough edges on several lines on your screenshots show that you use no antialiasing, I guess your other settings aren't that high either. That also impacts the rendering quality.

Some components of the restrictive Mesh Standard Sizes do come in handy for a Mesh body / head combo ... body fat, neck width, perhaps neck length. And maybe even a bit of shoulder width.

From the way the skin tones blend with each other on the neck (there's no sharp, flat line where they join), I'd say that the skin was made that way. Either intentionally, because they thought it looked good, or accidentally, due to artist error.

I have noticed that body and head skins match often well at the back and on sides of the neck.
The problem area often seems to be in the front.

I have exactly the same skins from the same designer for mesh body and mesh head.
In some lighting conditions there is no visible seam.
However in some other lighting conditions there is a slightly visible seam in the front, under the chin.
Nothing very disturbing though.

On 25/05/2018 at 10:00 AM, TheAumi said:

Snapshot_006.thumb.png.aa36e44a821bc9673633cff02c32fade.png

Take a look at the underside of the chin. 5$ says that the underside of the chin is the same, slightly darker colour as the rest of your body, and that it is just the face that is lighter.

Many skin designers do this in an effort to make their skins more "photogenic"; that tonal difference can help make your face stand out from your body more, and avoids your chin seeming to disappear into your neck if in less-than-ideal lighting. My (just replaced) skin did the same thing, and that can often be quite useful - like this:

2e0becddcb.png 

You can just about see the colour seam along the chinline, and ideally the lighter patch of skin would extend another "cm" or so, but it still helps give my in-shadow face some well-needed definition and adds a sense of depth. At least, with a front-on shot. I haven't gotten too many examples of when this effect causes problems (because it looks bad), but here's one:

ee45ab26f6.png

It's a nsfw pose, don't overthink it ;) you can clearly see the colour seam along the chin line here, and how bad it looks from this angle. My new skin does have facial lightening, but it seems much softer than my old, and judging by some test shots I shouldn't have an issue with no-chin.

Hope that helps explain what you're seeing and why, anyway x

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Mercedes Avon said:

I can see that the body is ever so slightly darker than the head. Do you by chance have the body slightly tinted; like in an attempt to rid yourself of the yellowish tone of it?

I think that sometimes creators overdo the highlighting on the forehead, cheeks and chin. It's as if I have a face light shining on my avie's face all of the time. It's the same with body appliers. I do prefer skins that are softer looking with muted highlights.. that way, the face and body look like they are the same color.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2140 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.