Sign in to follow this  
Belinda Cifuentes

Change email tool doesn't work

Question

I'm a long-time member of SL.

I need to update my email address from an old one and followed the instructions on the account management page. But when I did so, I got this error message:

There was an error processing your request. If you were attempting to update your email or offline IM preferences, please contact customer support. 

Of course, I then tried to submit a ticket but there is no option in the pull-down menus for updating an email, only things like billing, abuse, cancel account, etc. I assume using a wrong option will end up with no one responding.

I doubt any Lindens are reading the Forums, but if a miracle happens, can they please have something more informative as how to update one's email than a generic "There was an error processing your request"?

Geez!!!

5 answers to this question

It would be an ACCOUNT issue.

And some of the Lindens do read the forums, though it should never be thought of as a means to communicate with them (other than responding to anything they may post).

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1

Thanks for the reply, Alyona.

That's what I attempted to do.

However, there are required fields and under "Account" issue, the ONLY options are:

Abuse Appeal
Account Compromised
Account Creation Issue
Lost Password
Reactivate Account
Viewer Login Issues
Web Login Issues
GDPR Request

As changing an email address is NONE of those, I fear that selecting one of the above would end up causing more problems than what it's worth.

In any event, the good news is my email address is correct. I was wondering why I wasn't getting emails when I was offline. (I was going to change my email to see if that would help).

Naturally, I didn't realize it but they were going into the SPAM folder. :$

Edited by Belinda Cifuentes

You clicked Account/Change email address?  And when you entered your new email address, you got the error message?  (see screenshot below).

Capture.thumb.PNG.65c43b97405c9b11f6116c47a5a75667.PNG

If that's what happened, then:

1. Try it again, preferably using a different web browser.  If that doesn't work, then
  2. Go ahead and submit the support case.  I suggest you use "Web Login Issues" as the issue type.
  • Like 1

Thanks, Lindal. 

Yes, I tried that. As I explained above after doing that, it says to contact support to change emails.

Fortunately, I don't have to now. (My IMs were going into the SPAM folder; I hadn't realized it)

6 minutes ago, Belinda Cifuentes said:

Thanks, Lindal. 

Yes, I tried that. As I explained above after doing that, it says to contact support to change emails.

Fortunately, I don't have to now. (My IMs were going into the SPAM folder; I hadn't realized it)

Woot!  Another satisfied Answers customer!

• Like 1