Where the heck did YOU come from?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2134 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I originally thought I'd gone online for the very first time in 1987, but I recently discovered I was off by two years. In the summer of '85, while recuperating from an accident, I enlisted the help of some people from the Milwaukee Computer Club (I think that's what it was called) to build a 300bps modem so I could access their bulletin board. By the fall of that year I was online. (I know this now because I found some receipts for electronic parts in a box in the attic, dated July of 1985. It was in 1987 that I built a faster modem and joined "The WELL".

I got on the World Wide Web in 1993, quickly finding a home in the USENET groups sci.amateur and sci.astro.amateur. I joined Apple's eWorld when it opened, but didn't stay long (eWorld itself didn't stay long either). I think I might have tried America Online via an internet portal briefly, but didn't like it. I haunted a few IRC chat rooms, becoming a regular and eventually an "old timer" in one of them. I also frequented numerous technical/professional forums, becoming both regular and old-timer there as well. I met a fella in one of the IRC chatrooms that shared many of my interests (technical and personal) and we became good friends. When the IRC chatroom closed down, we moved our chat to Yahoo Messenger. We stayed in touch there until he died unexpectedly, a friendship that lasted 12 years.

In 2007, I read an article in the Wall Street Journal (back when it was worth reading) about the real economies of virtual worlds, in which SL figured prominently. I joined briefly in the fall of 2007, but got distracted and didn't return for good until April of 2008. I tried to convince my friend to join SL, and created an avatar named Snugs Eisenhart for him. While I was doing that, he went off, got married, and lost what little interest he had in SL. Snugs became my alter ego.

Since my retirement, my participation in technical/professional forums has all but ceased, leaving SL (primarily the forums) as my only online social outlet. So long as SL is around, I doubt I'll explore anything else. Should SL vanish, I'm not sure I'd seek out a replacement. RL continues to be very interesting to me, even if more frustrating than I'd like.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 4

Chat  sites before MMO's and other games came to PC, then after a while WoW (pre Activision) and CoH were my go to.

On 5/23/2018 at 8:50 AM, AmandaKeen said:

Before I found Second Life I was dressing my pixels in spandex and a Cape after my kids got me interested City Of Heroes..... it’s fun playing video games with your teenagers.... they teach you new words when you totally PWN them :-)

giphy.gif

I preferred red side. Here's hoping City of Titans lives up to it.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Gadget Portal said:

Chat  sites before MMO's and other games came to PC, then after a while WoW (pre Activision) and CoH were my go to.

I preferred red side. Here's hoping City of Titans lives up to it.

I dabbled in CoV, but I was in such a “social” SG on the Blue Side, I never ventured far until the SG was depleted by newer games - at which point I came here.

The thing I remember most fondly about CoH was the awesome players who were (and are) my friends from there.

After a certain point, grinding for levels is less important than yakking with your fellow spandex-geeks :-) I miss that community.

Edited by AmandaKeen

4 minutes ago, AmandaKeen said:

I dabbled in CoV, but I was in such a “social” SG on the Blue Side, I never ventured far until the SG was depleted by newer games - at which point I came here.

The thing I remember most fondly about CoH was the awesome players who were (and are) my friends from there.

After a certain point, grinding for levels is less important than yakking with your fellow spandex-geeks :-) I miss that community.

Yeah, used to spend hours in Pocket D with my minions chatting people up. Funny stuff.

Best part of that game were the other players, hands down.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AmandaKeen said:

5 hours ago, Gadget Portal said:

Best part of that game were the other players, hands down.

While I'll certainly remember the nifty things you can do in SL, like setting people on fire, it's the people who make SL worthwhile and so very memorable. It's fun to let my imagination run free here, but the real reward comes from watching the rest of you gleefully explore that very same freedom.

I might disagree with Gadget just a little. I enjoy you folks the most when your hands are up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My online journey started back in 1994, when I got my first computer. At that time,  a new internet provider called Prodigy had just hit the market, and I signed up to see what the world wide web was all about. Basically, I've been online ever since.

From that point on I was all over the virtual map - from BBS/Telnet user,  MIRC chatroom moderator to Compuserve forum moderator, AOL member, Yahoo Messenger user, IMDB forum poster, and MMORPG player.

Just before I arrived at Second Life in 2007, I was a frequent user of IMVU. I became disenchanted with that after a while, and was on the search for something more fulfilling. It just so happened that one day I received an email about a Duran Duran concert that was taking place in SL, and decided to join and I've been here off and on ever since.

Wow, memoriessssssss, light the cornersss of my miiiiiiiiind.

Okay, Bought my first home comp back in the '80s (some version of a Tandy color complete with dot matrix printer) instantly fell in love with the games (Leisure Suit Larry, Maniac Mansion, etc) then came dial up and I discovered chat rooms, used Prodigy, and all the typical stuff of the time.

In the late 90's, David Bowie, being the ever forward thinking genius that he was, launched the ISP BowieNet, which was amazing for it's time. The chat on the Bowie website was always great, and the great man was known to lurk and even occasionally post! I eventually stumbled on SL around 2006 with my first avie whose name I can no longer rememberO.o

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jan/11/david-bowie-bowienet-isp-internet

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2134 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.