Macbook crashes when I try and take pics using advanced lighting & shadows

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2163 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi there - I wonder if someone can help me. I have a macbook pro and recently it seems whenever i try and take photos (particularly landscape ones) using advanced lighting and shadows - as soon as i click snapshot and the window comes up it crashes as it tries to produce the pic for me to then click save to disc. So I never get to the save to disc point.

Does anyone have any recommendations or a list of setting for photography that best suit the macbook and still enable shadows etc.

Any assistance or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm afraid I can't specifically address Macbook pro, since I don't use one - but landscape photo with high light quality settings and a large draw distance are going to be difficult to pull off. Start nudging down your antialiasing, shadows (sun+moon should suffice for landscape), avatar shadows, maybe even local lights (depending on your WL and the scene), draw distance (only use as much as you need). If there's no water, you can turn off transparent water shaders and water reflections. After that, if you're still crashing, I'd start chipping away at the resolution of your camera tool. If you're in a sim with a lot of people, switch on 'Show friends only' (unless you want them to be in the photo) so you don't have to render them all.

On May 22, 2018 at 5:22 AM, Orwar said:

I'm afraid I can't specifically address Macbook pro, since I don't use one - but landscape photo with high light quality settings and a large draw distance are going to be difficult to pull off. Start nudging down your antialiasing, shadows (sun+moon should suffice for landscape), avatar shadows, maybe even local lights (depending on your WL and the scene), draw distance (only use as much as you need). If there's no water, you can turn off transparent water shaders and water reflections. After that, if you're still crashing, I'd start chipping away at the resolution of your camera tool. If you're in a sim with a lot of people, switch on 'Show friends only' (unless you want them to be in the photo) so you don't have to render them all.

On May 22, 2018 at 5:28 AM, Whirly Fizzle said:

If you have not updated to Sierra, it could be the Coverflow crash.
See here for how to fix this: http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/mac_crash_upload

I have a Macbook pro thats still running on El Captain and was having the SAME issue and what helped me was to reduce my draw distances and resolution. I actually asked in the forums for help like yourself and what Orwar has mentioned is pretty similar to what people have told me (and it worked). Personally, I did both at the same time so I can't say which one of over the other helped lol. I wouldnt say Coverflow crash is the issue in this case and things like local lights dont have a massive effect at least for myself.  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2163 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.