Plans for the Week of 2018-05-21

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2147 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Lindens

Hey everyone! We've got a bunch of things we're still testing this week and don't have any rolls for any channels (Second Life Server, RC Bluesteel, RC LeTigre, RC Magnum, or RC Cruller), and we don't anticipate any rolling restarts. We're aiming to have at least one new server version through testing by next week, and hopefully we'll have a better view of that by Thursday. If you're interested please join us at the SBUG meeting on Aditi.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I wonder

We are to have "Unscheduled Rolling Restarts" on  all the RC channels...is this just a simple restart to all those servers or is there different code being rolled out?  I ask because we had to have the Wirtz region (LeTigre RC) restarted earlier today after serious performance degradation (TD down to 0.6 and scripts barely able to run).

Thanks to prompt action by Theresa Linden and the maintenance crew the sim was restarted after about 10 minutes and was OK as of 10 mins ago.

Edited by Ayesha Askham

54 minutes ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

Apparently regions on version 18.05.14.515432 and going back to 18.05.07.515224.

Well, I don't think all were rolled back because as of 5 minutes ago Wirtz, on LeTigre was still running 18.05.14.515432 which is what it has been since the last roll.

Edited by Ayesha Askham
Updated Information

• Lindens

We needed to lower the cohort size of the latest build before the weekend due to a bug we found as part of the RC process. The plan right now is to continue running the new simulator version on RC LeTigre until at least the next RC roll on Wednesday.

• Thanks 4

5 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

What bug?  O.o

I second Whirly's question...WHAT Bug and why do those of us on LeTigre have to put up with it while the rest of SL is spared it?  If the bug was behind the collapse of sim performance on Wirtz yesterday I am most concerned!

11 minutes ago, Ayesha Askham said:

I second Whirly's question...WHAT Bug and why do those of us on LeTigre have to put up with it while the rest of SL is spared it?  If the bug was behind the collapse of sim performance on Wirtz yesterday I am most concerned!

Because by accidentally choosing a home on a sim on an RC channel, you have accidentally given consent to be used as a test-victim for whatever LL feels like testing on the RC channel servers...

It's always been that way, and for a long time Le'Tigre has been the go-to choice for Stage 1 mass testing...

;) 

On 5/26/2018 at 7:14 PM, Klytyna said:

Because by accidentally choosing a home on a sim on an RC channel, you have accidentally given consent to be used as a test-victim for whatever LL feels like testing on the RC channel servers...

It's always been that way, and for a long time Le'Tigre has been the go-to choice for Stage 1 mass testing...

;) 

Magnum used to have it rough too you know :)

1 minute ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

Magnum used to have it rough too you know :)

And Bluesteel...

Remember when they rolled the "stealth draw distance increase for large prims to make SL look better" on the RC's, back in 14...

Tested by some back office dev Linden with a 2003 zero attachments avi on an empty beta grid sim, with some 9m and 11 m plywood cubes, they thought it was just fine...

Rolled on Le'Tigre, and... Half the prims in your flexi hair and flexi skirt vanished, ditto half the prims on your boots, the paving you were standing on, most of the people near you, but you could see the floor slabs of a building on the next sim, that was outside your draw distance clear as day!

They let it sit like that for two weeks, then rolled the same crud on Magnum and Bluesteel, while Livechat and support ticket teams basically filtered out complains as "just dumb users", until finally after 6 damn weeks, enough complaints made it through to the dev team for them to spend a couple of weeks fixing it, prior to a revised rollout...

Living on the RC's is... Interesting... :D 

• Like 2

On 26/05/2018 at 1:00 PM, Ayesha Askham said:

You could save yourself what seems to be a fair amount of angst some weeks by requesting that the region be moved to the main channel. There's no shame in it. RC regions aren't for everyone. You'd have more time to mentally prepare for what's coming to the main channel and when, if it's needed. :)

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Willow Wilder said:

You could save yourself what seems to be a fair amount of angst some weeks by requesting that the region be moved to the main channel. There's no shame in it. RC regions aren't for everyone. You'd have more time to mentally prepare for what's coming to the main channel and when, if it's needed. :)

Two small issues there.  Firstly I do not own all of the sim and one owner never (and I do mean never) responds to such questions or suggestions.  It is a Mainland adult region.  I don't have a problem with being on LeTigre, my homestead was moved TO LeTigre a few years back during the "Timewarp" issue.  The problem arose because Wirtz is, at least partly, a commercial region and leaving bugged code running (especially when LL are so tight and secretive about just WHAT is bugged) seems just plain daft.

5 hours ago, arabellajones said:

It's all very well talking about being prepared, but it's the 29th May, support is still down for Memorial Day, there is nothing announced on the maintenance schedule, and sims are being restarted.

Did somebody leave a cron job running?

Well Maxidox said there'd be no new code but restarts are to be expected (my home on Main Server was restarted today to a new simulator but stayed on the older code) since nothing was rolled to Main last week.

Further, Arabella, this is not your first rodeo, you know what LL are like over matters like this...  Think Tar-Baby. ;)

Edited by Ayesha Askham

On 5/26/2018 at 10:00 AM, Ayesha Askham said:

... why do those of us on LeTigre have to put up with it while the rest of SL is spared it?  

You don't. The region owner can request that the region be moved out of the channel. If it is a Linden region, move.

Being in an RC does NOT subject one to the first round of testing. The initial testing is in QA. Then a round of testing is done on ADITI. The Alpha, Beta, and project versions test in ADITI. Devs can experiment with the changes during the ADITI testing. When the package arrives on AGNI it is RC quality. A decent percentage of the RC's promote to the live code without change, the goal.

The RC channels provide the final load testing. A percentage of changes do have problems under load stress. The alternative is to inflict the pain of progress on the entire grid rather than about 20% of the grid.

The RC channels are the cost if improvements to the SL system.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

You don't. The region owner can request that the region be moved out of the channel. If it is a Linden region, move.

Being in an RC does NOT subject one to the first round of testing. The initial testing is in QA. Then a round of testing is done on ADITI. The Alpha, Beta, and project versions test in ADITI. Devs can experiment with the changes during the ADITI testing. When the package arrives on AGNI it is RC quality. A decent percentage of the RC's promote to the live code without change, the goal.

The RC channels provide the final load testing. A percentage of changes do have problems under load stress. The alternative is to inflict the pain of progress on the entire grid rather than about 20% of the grid.

The RC channels are the cost if improvements to the SL system.

Nal, I repeat what I said to Willow.  The parcel in question is only a PART of the sim Wirtz.  We have raised the issue of moving the region off LeTigre RC several times and while one of the other parcel owners is with us, one other never responds to our suggestions and as a result we have to stay on LeTigre.

And to be pedantic I will repeat: "The problem arose because Wirtz is, at least partly, a commercial region and leaving bugged code running (especially when LL are so tight and secretive about just WHAT is bugged) seems just plain daft."

Progress has to be made, of course, but if code is seen to be bugged and they can roll back the other RC channels, to me at least it makes no sense to leave it running on ANY regions.

8 hours ago, AnukManeewong1260 said:

Series of the Scheduled SL Maintenance on the Grid Status that Linden will be shut off the UDP Asset Fetching on the Server. causing the user that doesn't use AssetHTTP Server cannot load the Gestures,Animations,Landmark,Wearables and Sounds.

1. Pardon? Where specifically does it say UDP fetching will be shut off? @Oz Linden has repeatedly said there will be advance notice (via blog announcement presumably) when this is about to occur. 

2. Why would you be using a viewer that doesn't support AssetHTTP?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1.Presumably It will break the OpenMetaverse-based bot like Radegast and MetaBolt if They started the Deprecating the old UDP Protocol for good. if Happens. 2.For the viewer that Didn't support the AssetHTTP. "Unable to Load Gestures" "Unable to Load Landmark" Message will appear.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, AnukManeewong1260 said:

1.Presumably It will break the OpenMetaverse-based bot like Radegast and MetaBolt if They started the Deprecating the old UDP Protocol for good. if Happens. 2.For the viewer that Didn't support the AssetHTTP. "Unable to Load Gestures" "Unable to Load Landmark" Message will appear.

I know what it is. My question is, where on the series of grid status posts you just referred to, does it state that UDP fetching is being turned off. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AnukManeewong1260 said:

Maybe. I'm looking for the Asset Related Error on the Older Viewer and OpenMetaverse-Based Viewer as well. After Series of maintenance until Tuesday Next Week. The Grid Status are Referred from the https://status.secondlifegrid.net/incidents/hcjp7p3nh0z6.

Anuk

I am with Willow here in that I cannot understand where you get your info about UDP fetch from.  At no point has the Grid Status page given any such information.  I must assume that either you are unfamiliar with English or your RL operating system is not compatible with ours. :/

3 hours ago, AnukManeewong1260 said:

Maybe. I'm looking for the Asset Related Error on the Older Viewer and OpenMetaverse-Based Viewer as well. After Series of maintenance until Tuesday Next Week. The Grid Status are Referred from the https://status.secondlifegrid.net/incidents/hcjp7p3nh0z6.

Sorry, I'm still confused about what you need. You might be further ahead to contact those viewer projects directly to ask what plans they have, if any, regarding AssetHTTP. You can find some contact information on the TPV Directory here  http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/TPVD  Otherwise, perhaps search for an inworld group for the viewer you're interested in. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2147 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.