Racism in player profiles

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1420 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, Fionalein said:

I repeat myself... The song is by a band that was declared a criminal organisation in Germany, guess for what - yeah their songs...

But to be fair, Germany (understandably) cracks down extremely hard on anything even close to white-nationalism or anti-semitism. Pointing out that they've been "declared a criminal organization in Germany" doesn't really support any argument unless they have actually done (or plan to) harm to somebody. 

TLDR: Art and beliefs alone are not a criminal offense or even make someone a bad person, in my opinion.

Now, before anyone jumps at that, I'm not saying all beliefs are good. You can disagree with beliefs but still get along and be a good person, but once you start treating other individuals poorly, that's the instant you become a bad person. The separation is important.

Edit; Sorry I missed an entire page of posts. 

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 3

• Moderators

Greetings all!

Anytime someone feels that content in Second Life, including profiles, text, items, Marketplace Listings, etc., violates the Terms of Service or Terms of Use, please feel free to file an Abuse Report.  Even if you are not 100%, file it anyway. 

I removed the link to the video of the song/band.  The lyrics in the video DO contain offensive content by referring to others with derogatory terms. 

As to the actual lyrics posted in the user profile, they would most likely not be removed.  The lyrics are first person (referring to the person who posted them), using language, that while distasteful to some/many, is not done in derogatory terms. 

With regards to deleting content that you purchased from someone who holds beliefs counter to yours, it is entirely a personal choice.  If the item is transfer enabled, you could try asking for a refund without bringing up the sellers personal beliefs (no need to inflame the issue, or argue opinions), just saying that you bought the item and it does not fit with your theme, style, whatever.  This way you could try to get your L$ back from them so that you do not let them profit. 

If the item is No Transfer, your only option is to delete the item if you do not wish to keep it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

So how far does this go then? Should I report everybody belonging to a group about supremacy (mostly black) or every female avatar that writes in her profile she's a [REDACTED]  for blacks, excluding whites? Or does this so called racism only work when it's white on black? I've given racism in SL some attention and it's amazing how many groups you find that are just straight out racist towards whites. For some strange reason that's perfectly acceptable yet if a (I suppose) white dude puts a quote from a song in his profile that mentions the word 'nazi' we should go full snowflake-mode and report him? Do a group search on the term "white supremacy". You'll get loads of results but if you look at them closely, you'll see that 90% of them are about black supremacy. There's loads of racism in SL, it's just not really white on black but the other way round.

Any way : I just let everybody be who they want and play how they want. They can put in their profile what they want and belong to groups they freely choose. If I don't like the way they act, I call them out on it or just block them. Simple...

Edited by Dakota Linden
Masked Profanity Removed

On 6/9/2018 at 1:08 PM, Sith Soulstar said:

So how far does this go then? Should I report everybody belonging to a group about supremacy (mostly black) or every female avatar that writes in her profile she's a [REMOVED] for blacks, excluding whites? Or does this so called racism only work when it's white on black? I've given racism in SL some attention and it's amazing how many groups you find that are just straight out racist towards whites. For some strange reason that's perfectly acceptable yet if a (I suppose) white dude puts a quote from a song in his profile that mentions the word 'nazi' we should go full snowflake-mode and report him? Do a group search on the term "white supremacy". You'll get loads of results but if you look at them closely, you'll see that 90% of them are about black supremacy. There's loads of racism in SL, it's just not really white on black but the other way round.

Any way : I just let everybody be who they want and play how they want. They can put in their profile what they want and belong to groups they freely choose. If I don't like the way they act, I call them out on it or just block them. Simple...

Addressing the part in bold in your quote.

All you have to do is to read the community standards to see they are saying any of it they don't allow..

They don't choose specific groups or specific colors or specific races or specific genders or specific religions or specific anything really..

Being hated on is being hated on,generalizing is generalizing..They don't seem to be playing favorites from what  I can see in their rules.

Intolerance

Combating intolerance is a cornerstone of Second Life's Community Standards. Actions that marginalize, belittle, or defame individuals or groups inhibit the satisfying exchange of ideas and diminish the Second Life community as a whole. The use of derogatory or demeaning language or images in reference to another Resident's race, ethnicity, gender, religion, or sexual orientation is never allowed in Second Life.

Edited by Dakota Linden
Masked Profanity Removed
  • Like 3

I personally would much prefer to see a simple expression of white pride than expressions of white self loathing that is are prevalent in many white people today.

Lets not forget all those profiles that say something like "I'm a worthless white [REMOVED]  who's only purpose in life is to open myself to any male of the superior black race.

And for every "white pride" profile, I'd suspect there are 100's of "black pride" profiles.

I understand what bothers people about this persons profile though. You can do almost any disgusting thing you want in sl, say anything disgusting you want, but as long as you say "oh it's only rp" its allowed.

But maybe, just maybe, the profile in question might reflect genuine beliefs. 

Edited by Dakota Linden
Masked Profanity Removed
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1- Ummm... Yeah... I don't see why people would be answering sarcastic rhetorical questions to begin with.

2- For some reason people seem to miss the part where I prefer to let everybody in peace and to judge them on their actions, not by their profile.

3- If we're gonna use search results :

Total entries for "Black supremacy" in search: 35

Total entries for "White supremacy" in search: 3

Total entries for "superior black" in search: 20

Total entries for "superior white" in search: 6

4- And just for a laugh :

11044533_1060465163968822_3506560963691233379_n.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Sith Soulstar said:

2- For some reason people seem to miss the part where I prefer to let everybody in peace and to judge them on their actions, not by their profile.

Probably because you decided to post in a forum instead of simply doing that.

(Oh, and all combined black/white supremacy results so far aren't even within hailing distance of "tentacle" yet.)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Probably because you decided to post in a forum instead of simply doing that.

(Oh, and all combined black/white supremacy results so far aren't even within hailing distance of "tentacle" yet.)

No, probably because some people prefer to read only what they want and choose to ignore the rest because it doesn't fit their narrative.

(They do trump "tentacle supremacy" :-p).

I know I'm going to regret sticking my nose in here, but think it should be pointed out that certain racist stereotypes about black masculine sexuality are the subject of various fetishes and that those presenting themselves in SL as uber-masculine black men aren't necessarily anything remotely like that. So I'd take some of those search results with a barrel load of salt.

Except for tentacles. How is it only 227? What's happened to the cephalopod community? O.o

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

I know I'm going to regret sticking my nose in here, but think it should be pointed out that certain racist stereotypes about black masculine sexuality are the subject of various fetishes and that those presenting themselves in SL as uber-masculine black men aren't necessarily anything remotely like that. So I'd take some of those search results with a barrel load of salt.

Don't forget the groups with those racist stereotypes which are largely filled with white closet queens with a secret fascination with BBC "women."

• Haha 1

On 6/10/2018 at 5:05 AM, Phorumities said:

Lets not forget all those profiles that say something like "I'm a worthless white [REMOVED] who's only purpose in life is to open myself to any male of the superior black race.

Wow, where the heck do you hang out?  I don't  think I've ever seen a profile that says that in all my years here (over a decade)

On 6/10/2018 at 6:35 AM, Ceka Cianci said:

Kraken Pride!! \o/

The-Itteh-Bitteh-Kraken-Commit.jpg

Similar enough look - I'm adding "Kraken Pride!!" to my daily lines of worship to the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Edited by Dakota Linden
Masked Profanity Removed
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Wow, where the heck do you hang out?  I don't  think I've ever seen a profile that says that in all my years here (over a decade)

I guess you don't get out much.

*shrug*

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 6/10/2018 at 5:05 AM, Phorumities said:

Lets not forget all those profiles that say something like "I'm a worthless white [REMOVED] who's only purpose in life is to open myself to any male of the superior black race.

On 6/10/2018 at 10:38 AM, LittleMe Jewell said:

I have to be honest and back Phorumites here.. There are a bunch of profiles, places and groups dedicated to degrading and treating white women like nothing but *** catchers. The nastier they get treated, the more they seem to love it. And it kills me when a white guy randomly  talks to one of these women and gets attacked for being white instead of a "big black bull." 

Edited by Dakota Linden
Masked Profanity Removed
  • Like 2

I guess it really needs saying because too many in this thread are more concerned about semantics. Black pride  & power is about empowerment of an institutionally oppressed minority. White power is literally about imposing systematic oppression. TBH. This sounds a like kink shaming in an attempt to justify an equal platform for white supremacist [REMOVED]boys.

Edited by Dakota Linden
Masked Profanity Removed
  • Like 5

On 6/10/2018 at 7:18 PM, CoffeeDujour said:

I guess it really needs saying because too many in this thread are more concerned about semantics. Black pride  & power is about empowerment of an institutionally oppressed minority. White power is literally about imposing systematic oppression. TBH. This sounds a like kink shaming in an attempt to justify an equal platform for white supremacist [REMOVED]boys.

Yeah, but saying it's okay for one race to do it and not another is the very definition of racism.

Edited by Dakota Linden
Masked Profanity Removed
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Gadget Portal said:

Yeah, but saying it's okay for one race to do it and not another is the very definition of racism.

Only the names are the same - one is about supremacy the other about equality - different beasts alltogether, Gadget.

• Like 1

...or! Or! Hear me out.....those black supremacy groups are actually racist against black people. I know, I know...kind of counterintuitive. I went down this rabbit hole on here  before though. 

But it has to do with fetishizing and stereotyping black people. It's a little more subliminal, but it's there.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1420 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.