2 questions.

DarkEmperor13

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2157 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

!st question: My sl sister said  u can use XStreet SL Magic Box for mp store, but it's come to my attention that they were shutdown and rendered useless almost 3 years ago.Is this true? 2nd question: Speaking of mp store, are u required to have a payment option to even have a mp store? Ive been told by some friends that they never had to have one when they created theirs, so is there a chance that that was changed?

16 answers to this question

Hey, Dark...you don't have to answer Rolig's question, especially not here in a public forum.  But she has a point...whenever someone says "I'd have to use my parents' card", we start to wonder just how old that person is, and whether they should be using SL at all.  Second Life is really intended for people who are 18 or older, although people who are 16 - 17 can sign up, and access areas and content that has a General maturity rating.  If you're under 16...well, my advice would be to use a virtual world like IMVU that allows younger players, and just be patient.

• Thanks 1

1. Yes this is true.

2. You do need payment info on file to create a store, this has been implemented a while ago. You do not actually need to use said payment info, you just need to have it on file.

Here's a good read

Edited by Syn Anatine
added link
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

XStreetSL was the old version of Marketplace, many years ago. It was truly klunky. The magic box system disappeared when Direct Delivery was instituted in about 2013(?). And yes, you need PIOF to open a shop. That's partly so that you have a way to transfer earnings out of SL but mostly a way for LL to identify you in RL if you start doing things that feel like money laundering or tax evasion or IP violations.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, DarkEmperor13 said:

exactly wat does it mean by having payment info on file?

Payment info on file is having a payment method registered at your account, but not used yet, that shows this line in your profile.

When it is used it will say "payment info used" .

Edited by Alwin Alcott
removed a line that might been seen as blunt/forward/to rude for sensitive souls
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, DarkEmperor13 said:

exactly wat does it mean by having payment info on file?

Nothing more than the fact that you have attached a valid and verified payment method to your account.  For US folks, this means a credit card or 'verified' paypal account. There is also Skrill and other options for other countries.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DarkEmperor13 said:

so does it have to stay saved onto ur account? or do u just basically have to have bought something and then u can take it off ur account?

You do not have to buy anything.  Attach the payment method to your account and then set up your MP.  I'm not sure if you can remove the payment method after you get the MP established.

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

You do not have to buy anything.  Attach the payment method to your account and then set up your MP.  I'm not sure if you can remove the payment method after you get the MP established.

it might get closed, i seen that the normal upload status gets locked when removing the card, while the note at the profile doesn't change.

I think it is a saveguard... you do not need to buy Lindens or cash out, but due to the risk of money laundring with shops it is better for the Lab to have a connection to a real life person (which they get with payment info)

19 hours ago, DarkEmperor13 said:

so does it have to stay saved onto ur account? or do u just basically have to have bought something and then u can take it off ur account?

Don't do that, DarkEmperor.  If you plan to be a businessman, be businesslike about it.  That means having some way to make transactions into and out of Second Life.  Get a verified PayPal account, register it as your payment method, and leave it in place.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

So -- not trying to be too nosey - how old are you and why do you need to use your parents' credit card? Get your own card or use your bank account to verify a PayPal account. 

I was 27 when I tried using my brother in law's credit card (with his consent) to pay the on the internet, usually non-US citicens have way better payment options that the credit card system, so we don't have them as often over here. And guess what? If we have one, we usually have well ONE!!! only one - not a dozen...

Edited by Fionalein

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2157 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.