Why can't I upload a picture?

Bell Lectar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4719 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I hit "upload picture", I choose the JPG from my desktop, but then the upload window instead of showing me my picture says "Unable to open file for reading FILE" and the "Upload (10L)" button is grayed out and only the Cancel button is active.

Tried it many times over several weeks and thinking it was some temporary bug waited until the viewer is updated.

But in the short time I got to play with the viewer released today, picture upload still didn't work to me.

Seeing how all the businesses continue releasing the new stuff, I guess it's just me.

Tell me please, how can I get a picture uploaded?

Hmmm.

I haven't tried to upload a smaller picture.

I guess that might be the reason.

I just assumed if a picture is too big, then the viewer would automatically reduce it instead of blandly refusing to upload it without saying why.

Is a 712 pixels a side square too big for SL? That's strange because I think I saw pictures bigger than that, it's hard to tell though.

I just wish I could get my SL to open again sooner to see if I can upload my picture in reduced size.

Thank you for replying. :)

Yes, SL should automatiucally downsize a huge image, but you never knoiw.  It was worth a shot.  712 pixels is a strange dimension, so SL will redimension your work, but it's certainly not too big.  So that's not your problem.  On to Plan B.  (Whatever that is.)

Out of curiosity ..... Is this just a problem with one particular image, or all images?  If it's just one, maybe that file is corrupted.

Yes I have tried many other images of different formats, including those images I have already uploaded into SL long time ago without a problem, and they all get the same result.

Why does this happen to me?

We all download the same viewer and so many of us use the same or silimar computers, but it's just me who gets so many bugs nobody ever heard of.

OK, so it's unlikely to be that single image.  Try this.....  Go to Preferences (CTRL + P), open the Graphics tab, and click the Hardware Options button.  In the window that opens, UNcheck the box that says Enable OpenGL Vertex Buffer Objects.  That setting has been known to cause some people problems with uploading images.

I know it is off because I looked. I guess it comes as off by default and you have to turn it on yourself if you want it.

I don't even have the slightest idea what it does - in my 1,5 years of SL  I never needed that option.

I remember when the 2 viewer got just released, the older viewer still stayed there as optional.

Maybe if I could get it somewhere I could use it to upload my pictures with.

But now I got myself a new computer and that viewer is gone and it doesn't seem you can download it anymore.

I wonder about that. If they say the older viewer is still optional and usable, then there hould be somewhere you can download it if you prefer it to the viewer 2?

Maybe this will be the only way for me to upload images.

Maybe you're right that a different viewer is the answer for you.  Here's the full list of approved viewers, including the old 1.23 >> http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Alternate_Viewers . If you use a different viewer, I'd suggest setting a different location for the cache files that you create with that viewer. 

YAAAAAAAAY!

Thank you so much for showing me to the older viewer, Rolig Loon!

Now I can't wear my shoes and enjoy the physics, but at least I can log in and finally update my profile picture after such a long wait til I can!

Thank you so much! ^.^

It's weird that my latest viewer won't let me upload images, but I rarely need it so I can live with that.

in v2 sometimes your L$ balance gets futzed, if it does and it reads 0 or a negative number, the upload option will be disabled... you can force an update of your balance in the viewer by clicking on it in the top bar, which sends an update request, and *usually* corrects the problem (assuming of course you do have an L$ balance)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4719 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.