Sign in to follow this  
raven33

Name Question

Question

Hello, and sorry if this has been answered (terrible at forum searching)

But I was wondering if any information regarding the return of last names has been put out. (other than its happening)

My question is does anyone know if we will be able to do a complete username change with this? Or is it just adding last names thing. 

I moved to an alt a while ago due to username....but would love to be able to go back to the person with years worth of stuff obtained if that might be an option. 

2 answers to this question

2 hours ago, raven33 said:

But I was wondering if any information regarding the return of last names has been put out.

Date of Rollout: Unknown - Claimed to be some time later this year, -ish, maybe.

Type of Name: Pick a last name off a list that will alter every few months, optionally, change your first name as well.

Availability: Will cost USD, not L$, price to be announced.

Klytyna gave the basics we have been given. There is a bit more.

No name can EVER be reused. We are assuming that name means a 'name pair', first and last. Once you get it, it is yours forever.  Picking Joe Jinx won't eliminate the use of Joe with other last names.

Will you be able to go back to a previous name you used? Currently undecided. But, IMO probably.

First names are going to be whatever you create. Last names will be a Linden creation presented in a list for your choosing. When we had last names the Lindens came up with the names and changed them on a regular basis. Thus we don't have a billion avatars with the last name Smith.The Lindens are saying they will do something similar with a significant difference being the Lindens won't be creating/making-up the last names. While they apparently haven't finalised the plan there is an idea users can suggest names and names will be taken from various sources in and outside SL.

We just got additions to the Linden Scripting Language (LSL) that will allow us to work with the new names. So, if you change your name from Fashion Fem to Awesome Apparels and you have been buying things with both names, vendors will still be able to figure out if their redelivery machines should send you a new copy whatever your current name.

This puts most of what is needed for use of the new names in place. The functions are grid wide now, as of last week. Third-party viewers will be catching up, but we have no word on what has to change viewer side, if anything. There will be some needed changes in the sign up section of the SL web site and some way of changing names added. I haven't heard anything on that part of the process. So, we may see the change roll out during the SL 15th birthday celebrations.

• Thanks 1