Do you know this grief?

Sparetta

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2159 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello Forum Friends,

I'm technically new to second life, or might as well be. I do remember teen second life, and I recall leaving when mesh heads were gaining momentum.(2013?) 

Long story short I was never an explorer, I would shop, hunt and then log off. This time I decided to actually try to explore and actually try to have relationships. So where else to go but to Linden Labs? I wanted to earn a little money to buy my dollarbies feel less poor. 

Fast forward to a few hours later. I swear I came back from a AFK and saw some girl slapping the hell out of my avi (lol). But that's not the grief, I went to collect some more crystals and then bam out of no where this black-smokey ghost was following me on my screen. I knew it wasn't a LR character because I had completed all the quest and been there for hours. I right clicked on it and blocked the item. In my blocked items list I saw something with a long random name such as "DCHDHSJANSKAMSMSLAL". This assured me that it wasn't a fabulous character like the rock monster but something that had been attached to me.

Do you know what this was?

How was it attached to me?

Do you think the girl that was slapping me attached it to me?

Thanks in advance,

Sparetta

4 answers to this question

No one can attach something to you.  But it's possible to create an object that will follow you.  It may even follow so closely it seems to be attached.  You can get away from followers by teleporting to a different region.  However, if the object is still there when you return, it will resume following you.

You should not go AFK while playing Linden Realms.  Not only will concerned strangers try to slap you awake, others may play various tricks on you.  One place I used to hang out, if anyone went AFK, the rest of us would decorate them with funny objects and take embarrassing pictures of them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So, I never updated but I did learn about a day later that LL uses these little bots to detect movements that are too fast/unusual in the case of cheating. *facepalm*

However, to this day I wonder if it was really LL's bot or a copy/fake because I never teleported back home on that one occasion and had to literally block it to stop. I never quite go AFK to the point that I'm away but I do stop for a few minutes in a secluded spot to rest my fingers/check a quick message. It's quite funny though to see others try to bump me for stopping for a nanosecond.

Thank you Lindal xD

If you were in Linden realms it's full of griefers and crashers when i could realm going a single day with out being griefed or lagged out was almost unheard of all the people doing the griefing they would use HUDs and attachments worn on them and they would attach to you with the exception of the worn crasher and lagger objects you could easily stop a griefer pushing you around in their tracks and get them sent home by the sentinels (clouds) by activating force ground sit (Ctrl + Alt + S in firestorm) as soon as the grief attack started. In the Linden Realms (unofficial) group i often still see reports of griefers and crashers and people moaning they are not getting punished despite claiming they've AR'd them, whilst trying to access a 'secret' realm that no longer exists i discovered when scrolling round the map was enough to earn me an instant ban

What's in your block list is almost certainly an item worn and used by another user if you do keep getting attacked by other residents while realming do AR them it's unlikely anything will happen based on my own experiences and whats reported in group but sometimes AR's do work

On 19.5.2018 at 1:44 AM, Sparetta said:

Hello Forum Friends,

I'm technically new to second life, or might as well be. I do remember teen second life, and I recall leaving when mesh heads were gaining momentum.(2013?) 

Long story short I was never an explorer, I would shop, hunt and then log off. This time I decided to actually try to explore and actually try to have relationships. So where else to go but to Linden Labs? I wanted to earn a little money to buy my dollarbies feel less poor. 

Fast forward to a few hours later. I swear I came back from a AFK and saw some girl slapping the hell out of my avi (lol). But that's not the grief, I went to collect some more crystals and then bam out of no where this black-smokey ghost was following me on my screen. I knew it wasn't a LR character because I had completed all the quest and been there for hours. I right clicked on it and blocked the item. In my blocked items list I saw something with a long random name such as "DCHDHSJANSKAMSMSLAL". This assured me that it wasn't a fabulous character like the rock monster but something that had been attached to me.

Do you know what this was?

yes, it is an anti cheat mechanism - if you see it find something to kill you and all is good - they should work fine but sometimes they detect you as flying cheater because you jumped of a cliff (or of the sunspire - evil you) or because lag didn't make you TP when you should have died... then the black blowcloud of doom appears and and after a while will TP you home for cheating... Do not block it, as Lindens might consider blocking the anti cheat mechanism cheating - Commit LR-suicide instead (should not be so hard in the Realms, there is always a poison pool or rock monster nearby to jump into)

Edited by Fionalein

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2159 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.