Best Parcel Settings For Anti-Griefing

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2102 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have been reading some info about what are the best "About Land" - Options settings for a 1024 m sized plot on the mainland. I read conflicting advice so I would like some of your best advice and experiences for preventing a griefer from attacking or doing damage on a private plot. Should all my settings be checked for Group only? etc. Thank you for your advice.

The important setting is the autoreturn. I have it at five minutes and so far that's been enough to stop all griefing. On a private 1024, you can set it to 1 but never ever turn it off.

The other settings aren't that important really.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 2

Deed the land to a group, make sure all your stuff is in the land group and don't let random bob join your land group.

Not letting anyone build is the safest, but .. kinda unfriendly and a pain in the butt. You will be fine letting everyone build just enable Autoreturn  .. 5 minutes .. 45 minutes .. just have it enabled.

Untick No Pushing, Tick Safe. Leave everything else set so everyone can do everything.

If you are on the ground and you untick "Avatars on other parcels can see and chat .....", you make it more likely that random bob will want to come onto you land just to see your avatars.

You can tighten if down a whole lot more by setting things to group only, but really it's a pain in the butt .. it's far less stressful with autoreturn cleaning up for you and taking a little joy in idiots being idiots. Half the fun of mainland is random bob trying to be clever .. if you're not in the mood, just eject and ban.

I've had mainland & my own region set up this way for years, not taking a once-bitten-twice-shy paranoid approach really is way less stressful, also .. being hyper paranoid about your own land is pointless when your idiot neighbor forgets autoreturn, gets jacked by self replicating cubes and you have to call in a Linden to clean up anyway. 

• Like 1

Thanks for ideas so far everybody. I was attacked by self replicating prim balls last night lol and after the amusement wore off I went elsewhere for the day and this morning it was all gone. I just don't want where my stuff all gets returned or something.

1 hour ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Not letting anyone build is the safest, but .. kinda unfriendly and a pain in the butt.

I think that is optional. You must have autoreturn enabled anyway because the no object entry option sometimes fails and with that, allowing rezzing isn't likely to cause much problems.

Untick No Pushing

Oh yes, I forgot that. Do not enable pushing unless you really, really, really have to.

being hyper paranoid about your own land is pointless when your idiot neighbor forgets autoreturn, gets jacked by self replicating cubes and you have to call in a Linden to clean up anyway. 

That too. Check neighbor plots and fill any unattended non-autoreturn ones with invisible phantom prims. That too is an absolutely crucial security measure. I know Linden Lab says it's against ToS but it isn't. If the owner has disabled autoreturn it means he/she has given everybody permission to rez whatever they want and everybody includes you.

57 minutes ago, Ziggy Starsmith said:

Thanks for ideas so far everybody. I was attacked by self replicating prim balls last night lol and after the amusement wore off I went elsewhere for the day and this morning it was all gone.

Oh, you were relatively lucky then. Some griefer attacks are set to only last for a while, others have no time limit.

57 minutes ago, Ziggy Starsmith said:

I just don't want where my stuff all gets returned or something.

You don't need to worry much about that anymore. The SL software has become quite good at determining what to return and what nto to return if the parcel is overloaded.

Edited by ChinRey

7 minutes ago, Ziggy Starsmith said:

Thanks for ideas so far everybody. I was attacked by self replicating prim balls last night lol and after the amusement wore off I went elsewhere for the day and this morning it was all gone. I just don't want where my stuff all gets returned or something.

Your stuff won't get returned, and if you enable auto return then the attack you endured the other day will be rather time limited - especially as you can just open about land, Objects tab , owned by others - hit return. Shows over.

6 hours ago, Ziggy Starsmith said:

I have been reading some info about what are the best "About Land" - Options settings for a 1024 m sized plot on the mainland. I read conflicting advice so I would like some of your best advice and experiences for preventing a griefer from attacking or doing damage on a private plot. Should all my settings be checked for Group only? etc. Thank you for your advice.

This is a bit of a personal thing, and a lot will depend on your neighbors and how big a grief target you and they are. But generally you will get good security if you deny object entry and set your object return from 1 to 5 minutes. And of course, turn off allow landscaping xD

I normally allow free rez, that anyone can run scripts, anyone can fly, I also stop pushing. I have done this for years and years with little issue. My partner is a little tighter in his security and does stop open rez.

I will say that stopping scripts is a big inconvenience to other people. Please don't do it, it breaks a lot of stuff people wish to use, like body huds and tails.

My comfort level in allowing open rez is likely going to seem far higher than some people who will recommend you lock down everything, but the way I do it works for me.

Edited by Callum Meriman
  • Like 1

I've always had mainland, and I've always set it to no-rez, allow fly, and allow scripts. Auto-return has always been set at 1 minute, and it's always been deeded to a group (I don't find that inconvenient when setting objects I'm rezzing to the group because I rarely change my active group, so it's automatic).

In over 11 years I can't recall any instances of griefing on my land that different land settings would have avoided. I've had griefing occur over the land but generated from other land, even from the sim next door.

• 1 month later...

i will give you a few points why attacks happens  in about 85% of cases  (1) greedy ,arrogant owners  (2) unfair treatment of visitors (3)bad management (4) elevated personal problems with other members  >staff< (5) Absurd rules. Anything of this nature will anger someone to the point of  make your parcel useless, even worst if you get a visit from a  high tech and make the server absolute useless sometimes  for days, and not even Linden can't do anything about it.Be nice with others because having land and nice expensive avi's won't save you from the blaze of real life  knowledge.

• Confused 4

1 hour ago, onix Velde said:

i will give you a few points why attacks happens  in about 85% of cases  (1) greedy ,arrogant owners  (2) unfair treatment of visitors (3)bad management (4) elevated personal problems with other members  >staff< (5) Absurd rules. Anything of this nature will anger someone to the point of  make your parcel useless, even worst if you get a visit from a  high tech and make the server absolute useless sometimes  for days, and not even Linden can't do anything about it.Be nice with others because having land and nice expensive avi's won't save you from the blaze of real life  knowledge.

I find that 99% of issues can be solved by simply making it so only avatars with payment information can enter the region. Most griefing accounts are usually just alts that do not have any kind of rl information attached to them as the users in question do not want their activities linked to their real life / main accounts. As for "visit from a high tech" gimme a break, most of those tools that make a sim useless are just using very basic exploits that clog up the regions resources and cause the asset server to weird out on you etc etc. Theres nothing high tech about it and in 99% of cases today you can just reset the sim and be done with it, especially now that land owners can reset their sim from the second life website instead of having to be in world and on the region. Its not so much debilitating as it is annoying. Also I'm curious what you mean by "won't save you from a blaze of real life knowledge"...most griefers I know are just highly immature entitled snowflake males who lack the life and social skills to be able to deal with situations that arise in a constructive manner and feel they have to run EVERYONES fun just because they feel they have been affronted in SL in some way by either another user or some rules they do not like. 

On 5/17/2018 at 8:19 PM, Ziggy Starsmith said:

1. Autoreturn one minute

2. Everyone can build UNchecked

3. Everyone scripts UNchecked

4. Avatars can see me UNchecked

5. Object entry unchecked

If you have a build that has not used up all your prims, use what I call a prim soaker. Put out some high-prim item that uses up all the prims, like a crown or piece of jewelry or old school furniture. You can bury it in the ground, just don't forget you did that. The purpose of the prim soaker is that no griefer can then put a self-replicating prim on or near your land on physics, whereby it will come and take up all your prims. There will simply be no room for him to do that.

The times when your own items get forced back into inventory is when a griefer or simply clueless newb puts out a whole bunch of prims on your land.

There is supposed to be a rule whereby non-group prims return first. But a recurring bug means this doesn't happen. I just saw it not happen that way yet again. Why *my* prims and not the offending non-group prims are returning makes no sense and wasn't set up that way but it happens.

Finally, the best deterrent against griefing is not to live in fear of griefing. It is not that common. It is fixable using "return" or if worse comes to worse, taking your returned items from Lost & Found and putting them back out.

i don't get it why you would enable rezz for everybody at your private home. Or if you really need it, use a 16x16 corner for it.

Keep it simple..

no terraforming

fly at your own choice.. no real need to block that

build group only ( or owner only)

object entry off, or group only

scripts group only

when you have visitors you can always invite them, even temp, to the group if needed.

On 5/17/2018 at 5:58 PM, CoffeeDujour said:

Deed the land to a group, make sure all your stuff is in the land group and don't let random bob join your land group.

Not letting anyone build is the safest, but .. kinda unfriendly and a pain in the butt. You will be fine letting everyone build just enable Autoreturn  .. 5 minutes .. 45 minutes .. just have it enabled.

Yes. I have a parking area with 20 minute return, and put up a "Rez Zone" signs and a parking sign. (Chin Rey sells those signs in her main OPQ Garden Center.)

Please, if you build something that looks like a parking space, make it usable as one. It's really annoying to drive up to a store with a marked parking area, park, and have your vehicle disappear. That's rude. Here's a project idea for someone - a friendly security orb. If you park a vehicle, it stays as long as one of the avatars who came in it is around. If all the avatars leave the area, after a while, the vehicle is returned. After IMing the owner of the vehicle and giving them a few minutes to take it away. "Free parking while shopping".

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2102 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.