Sign in to follow this  
Cheeseburger88

Uploading files for free on the test server?

Question

I'm trying to figure out the basics of uploading a mesh. I was told that there is a test server that allows free uploads, but I can't seem to figure it out. Aditi, I assume is the test server, still seems to have a fee to upload something.

Have I misunderstood something or is there something that I need to do first?

5 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Cheeseburger88 said:

I'm trying to figure out the basics of uploading a mesh. I was told that there is a test server that allows free uploads, but I can't seem to figure it out. Aditi, I assume is the test server, still seems to have a fee to upload something.

Have I misunderstood something or is there something that I need to do first?

you still have to pay there... virtually, because the L$ there are provided free... and no...not transferable to the main grid

Using the Aditi (beta test) grid is easy, but not very intuitive and not entirely bug-free.

First, you have to set your Preferences to actually allow you to log in to different grids.

Then, you have to go through a step or two to be able to upload mesh objects to SL.

Finally, because of a bug, you will probably have to file a support ticket to get authorized to log in for the first time.

And once you're on the test grid, you'll find that the geography doesn't exactly correspond to the main grid.  Many locations are not represented...but then again, many are.

You appear to have already done all of the above, since you have got to the "fee" stage.

Here's the scoop on that.  On the Aditi grid, your account has a $L balance, just like you do on the main grid.  But in this case, the $L are not "real" money, it's just a random number stuck in there to make the system work.  You can "spend" these fake $L to upload items all day long, and they won't actually affect your real $L balance, and you will never run out of Aditi grid fake $L.

Items uploaded to your inventory on Aditi can't be transferred to your main grid official inventory.  This grid is intended for stuff like product testing and refinement.  Once you have your asset uploading to Aditi the way you want, then go back, log in to the main grid, and upload your final version there...paying the required (real, this time) upload fee.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is possible to run out of Linden$ on ADITI. Not easy, but possible. However, within a few days your L$ balance will magically replenish. I think the current default balance is L$10k. Somewhere between L$0 and L$5,000 a replenish is triggered.

If you do manage to burn up all you ADITI cash, you can ask Support or one of the Lindens at the weekly Beta Server Group meeting to replenish it.

• Like 1

While Aditi is NOT made for this purpose, the avatars there aren't kept in sync with the main grid (usually), your L$ account on the beta grid is effectively separate and not really persistent.

For others too: 

Once you log into Aditi:

image.png.2f4ab4d7b95e3083228f28e0de70c6e0.png

Head for one of the Mesh Sandboxes (usually there are four):

image.png.aed56c4297ff4dae4c11daeb1555ead2.png

As mentioned the money there is not "real" money in that it will not come out of your main grid linden balance.  Currently (for the last couple of years) the balance of my beta testing alt has never dropped below 11,000 lindens (she is there most days working).   I do think that balances for new folks might be lower.  Also, new accounts can sometimes have issues getting into Aditi (security most likely) and can often not have their inventories in sync so they end up cloudlike. A support ticket should fix both of these problems. 

The OP made it over with money so all well and good there :D - Congrats!

• Like 1