Infohubs - no way out

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2162 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was in the Kama City infohub today. I rarely go there, but it had a huge avatar count today and I wondered what was happening.  Mostly AFKs and bots, plus some confused newcomers.

There's no easy way to walk out of the Kama City infohub. That may be part of why there are so few avatars on the streets of Kama City. The hub doesn't encourage exploration. It needs a way out and some EXIT signs. Free bicycles and scooters. The infohub in southeast Zindra is open and easy to leave, so it's surrounded by retail aimed at new residents. Lots of freebie and low-priced places sprung up there to get new residents started. But not Kama City's.

3 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

we have something that's often mentioned as "teleport" ... why need a way out and signs :)

Well, to be fair, many newbies don't know much about that yet - assuming newbies that landed there soon upon creation.  

But, yeah, other should know how to get out.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, purrrkitten said:

There are literally doors leading out of this infohub. You have to go under water for a few seconds to walk onto the land...

This is the new user experience? Visit Caledon; they got this right. Or the new user hub in southeast Zindra.

New users may not know that you cannot drown in most of SL. Or that walking on the bottom of water areas is possible. You'd think swimming would be the default, but no, you have to buy an accessory for that.

The Firestorm new user hub offers diving gear, but it doesn't come with a swimming capability, so by default you're on the bottom.

Edited by animats
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, animats said:

This is the new user experience? Visit Caledon; they got this right. Or the new user hub in southeast Zindra.

New users may not know that you cannot drown in most of SL. Or that walking on the bottom of water areas is possible. You'd think swimming would be the default, but no, you have to buy an accessory for that.

The Firestorm new user hub offers diving gear, but it doesn't come with a swimming capability, so by default you're on the bottom.

Well, flying is enabled there. So if you didn't know you can walk under water, you can fly. You can't tell me new users don't know how to fly when it's in the new user tutorial.

35 minutes ago, animats said:

The way I see it, if you're concerned about new user experience than the streets of Zindra are the last place you want to send anyone - after all, what if 2009 was traumatic for them, or they're allergic to full-bright?

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

we have something that's often mentioned as "teleport" ... why need a way out and signs :)

5 Years ago, the Opencollar Temple, was located on the ground, next to a road on the Madlands, near a sim border...

It would get so busy, that you LITERALLY could not TP out... "Unable to comply in a timely manner".

the ONLY way to leave the place other than logging out and relogging elsewhere, was to WALK very slowly, across the road into the next sim, from which you could TP as normal.

Then 4 years ago some moron caretaker manager decided to move the whole Temple a couple of Km upwards believing that "stuff over 1000 m up doesn't cause lag", and put the NEW Temple in a closed skybox, so you couldn't walk out.

I did ask her face to face to install an emergency exit door you could skydive out of to escape, but she didn't.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, animats said:

There's no easy way to walk out of the Kama City infohub. That may be part of why there are so few avatars on the streets of Kama City. The hub doesn't encourage exploration.

No, mostly it's because there's naff all in Kama to explore...

"Oh look another empty building owned by Mega-Flipper Land Holdings Inc!"

15 hours ago, animats said:

gns. Free bicycles and scooters.

Bots, "dummy avatars & npcs", etc., don't NEED bicycles and scooters, and the ACTUAL NOOBS haven't mastered WALKING yet, never mind putting them in a vehicle and aiming them at a sim crossing.

"Fire and Forget Unguided NOOB missiles" is not a good "Retention" strategy.

13 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

if you're concerned about new user experience than the streets of Zindra are the last place you want to send anyone - after all, what if 2009 was traumatic for them, or they're allergic to full-bright?

Damn right... Best way to improve Kama City would be with a few dozen 10 Kiloton Yield Thermonuclear Sim Demolition charges...

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

The way I see it, if you're concerned about new user experience than the streets of Zindra are the last place you want to send anyone

What do you mean? The streets of Zindra are the diamond in the crown of Second Life!!!

Those cool rotating ad signs in the air, those flat and straight roads with monochrome textures... No wonder the land prices are so high!

I'm a bit confused though. I did a search for Kama City and couldn't find any infohubs with that name. I found a big park but once you got out of the huge prim obelisk they had placed right on the tp point, it was all open to the lovely roads. The infohub closest to Kama that I could find, was at Ortiz and GIlda. Is that the one we're talking about here?

Edited by ChinRey
  • Haha 1

All this Zindra-bashing notwithstanding, just outside the Kama City area -- even the coastal periphery of Kama City -- is some of the very best land on the Mainland, including some terraformable + join/divide + double-prim shoreline.

In addition to the Gilda/Oritz infohub, when Zindra was brand new, there was some sort of infohub at the Mosh "Port of Kama City" -- that big glass waterfront building. I remember because I once owned a parcel just north of that and a steady stream of newbies would rez-in there, to be greeted by rows of vacant market stalls. The main Zindra infohub then was the "safe hub" at Arapaima that they eventually copied to Nelsonia, Ungren, and Vilania, all far from the Kama City sims.

Just now, Qie Niangao said:

All this Zindra-bashing notwithstanding, just outside the Kama City area -- even the coastal periphery of Kama City -- is some of the very best land on the Mainland, including some terraformable + join/divide + double-prim shoreline.

Yes, you're right of course. There is some really good land along the Zindra coast. All the continents have some great palces actually.

2 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

All this Zindra-bashing notwithstanding, just outside the Kama City area

1 hour ago, ChinRey said:

Yes, you're right of course. There is some really good land along the Zindra coast

That's kind of the point...

All the well utilised and popular bit's of Zindra are the bits that DO NOT LOOK ANYTHING LIKE the semi abandoned 2 dimensional prim-waste craphole that is Kama City...

Kama City's biggest problem isn't that the doors in the infohubs are not big enough, or that LLDPW don't provide free scooters.

Kama City was DESIGNED to be an ugly abandoned failure, and it is what it was designed to be.

In the unlikely event that LLDPW came to me and said...

"Kly, when you get out of ICU, we'd like you to be a Mole and lead the "Zindra Recovery Project""

... My first act as Queen of Zindra would be to sequestrate all land in Kama City, and the area around South Mosh, and plant 3 massive nuclear cratering charges, one at South Mosh, 2 at either end of Kama, and poof, make a lake or 3, to create some attractive lakeside properties.

Then fill in that damned abandoned shipping canal, and put in some small rivers and streams, rip out that fugly 1 sim grid of un-used, useless and worthless roads, and put in some European style roads, that wander naturally around terrain features (oh yeah... need to ACTUALLY add some terrain features to the Kama-Pancake), going from one actual named place to another actual named place (something more like Sansara's roads).

I'd probably tap the LLDPW for a couple of k L$ for expenses, get some decent full perm road building kit in mesh, and some decent low lag mesh trees, and make something that didn't look like a 4 year olds attempt to play their first game of "Sim City 2D".

Unlikely to happen but let's be realistic, this is yet another of Animat's "We need more empty ugly abandoned urban RP cityscapes in SL" threads, where he wonderswhy everyone chooses to stay away, living on the un-Kama-like coast.

/me shrugs...

9 hours ago, ChinRey said:

What do you mean? The streets of Zindra are the diamond in the crown of Second Life!!!

Those cool rotating ad signs in the air, those flat and straight roads with monochrome textures... No wonder the land prices are so high!

I'm a bit confused though. I did a search for Kama City and couldn't find any infohubs with that name. I found a big park but once you got out of the huge prim obelisk they had placed right on the tp point, it was all open to the lovely roads. The infohub closest to Kama that I could find, was at Ortiz and GIlda. Is that the one we're talking about here?

Yes, that one.

I just went there. A heart-shaped object appeared. "Golden Heart - You're a Winner". My first thought was "griefer". But no, it's a Linden object. It doesn't respond to touch, or sit. Its description says "Please read the enclosed notecard!" To do that, you have to buy it for $0, find a place to rez what you just bought, and open it for editing. Then you can read the notecard, which tells you to go somewhere else.

1 minute ago, Parhelion Palou said:

Infohubs are definitely not part of the current new user experience. They're very old and best avoided.

Why? They are a great insight into SL history... I even found one LL ad for the tutoring program there...

Edited by Fionalein

1 minute ago, Fionalein said:

Why? They are a great insight into SL history... I even found one LL ad for the tutoring programm there...

True. A year or so ago I checked the landmarks and teleporters in the Help Island Public area. They were good in 2006 but aren't useful now. Those areas are the "Land that Linden Lab Forgot".

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2162 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.