zyluna

Owning land in two regions - crossing over

Recommended Posts

I recently was able to purchase the abandoned land bordering my property.  I knew it was in a different region, but did not know all the problems.  I see I cannot join the two parcels.  I see I can have objects in both parcels and overlapping.  But crossing between the two and I fall into the sea (I own all water land).  Is there anything I can do?  I have tried bridges, simple prims, land forms, but walk across I soon sink into the prim and fall through.  Short of keeping building completely separate or selling and finding one parcel....anything I can do to cross between the two parcels without ending up on the sea floor?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Ah yes that happens when you cross sims. The simplest solution is to build overlapping invisible prims exending a good way into the other sim each... that is usually done by the LDPW moles too. Study their bridges on sim borders to see how it's done.

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, zyluna said:

I recently was able to purchase the abandoned land bordering my property.  I knew it was in a different region, but did not know all the problems.  I see I cannot join the two parcels.  I see I can have objects in both parcels and overlapping.  But crossing between the two and I fall into the sea (I own all water land).  Is there anything I can do?  I have tried bridges, simple prims, land forms, but walk across I soon sink into the prim and fall through.  Short of keeping building completely separate or selling and finding one parcel....anything I can do to cross between the two parcels without ending up on the sea floor?

You need to make a "bridge" by using prims, etc. that overlap the region border like "diving boards." You'll need one that's technically in each region, and they should overlap each other. The physics for each region is separate so when you cross the border the system thinks you've fallen off the edge of the old region before it realizes you're standing on something in the new region. If your "bridge" pieces overlap then you'll stay supported by the overlap until the viewer and region are in sync again.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you Theresa and Fionalein, it took a few tries but finally got the right layering of prims (had a few land form levels to work out). Thank you even more for such prompt responses, as this sort of thing can be so frustrating.  I was seriously thinking I would have to sell and start over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fionalein said:

Ah yes that happens when you cross sims. The simplest solution is to build overlapping invisible prims exending a good way into the other sim each... that is usually done by the LDPW moles too. Study their bridges on sim borders to see how it's done.

Sadly they missed this trick with the Horizons roads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Sadly they missed this trick with the Horizons roads.

Sounds like a job for @Dakota Linden 's army of moles do you have a LM?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Fionalein said:

Sounds like a job for @Dakota Linden 's army of moles do you have a LM?

Every single road and pavement that butts up against a neighboring regions. All Horizons regions.

Video -> https://imgur.com/a/tWQSwVR

Ag0fNrb.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Sadly they missed this trick with the Horizons roads.

And with the Great Wall too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ChinRey said:

And with the Great Wall too.

Maybe they should do less partying on mole day and go back to fixing stuff? But I'm sure als long as no one tells them they will never start...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, CoffeeDujour said:

I'd happily volunteer to do such tinkering .. 

Nooo don't let them ensnare you to become one of them Mole Peoples...

Edited by Fionalein

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Fionalein said:

Maybe they should do less partying on mole day and go back to fixing stuff? 

Mostly I think the moles are just FIC and a myth. Apart from the appearance of two obnoxiously ugly, and unused 20 meter tall islands in the main sailing passage north from the Blake Sea perfectly situated to block everyone's tacking northwards,  they seem to never fix any errors.

About time they were killed off and replaced with gophers, people who actually do work on improving all the buggy public builds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

...but gophers attract Bill Murray...

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/16/2018 at 12:34 PM, ChinRey said:

And with the Great Wall too.

And every intersection in Kama City. There, they tried, but designed the support prims wrong. Some old bridges on Sansara have this problem.

Objects belong to the sim where their root lives. You can attach child prims and move them off the edge of the sim to create support across a sim boundary. That won't move the root of the group. Make the support prim transparent if you don't want to see it. The Advanced->Highlighting and Visibility->Highlight Transparent menu item is helpful here, so you can see what you are doing with transparent prims.

We have the sinking problem fixed in our latest bike.

The unsinkable bike

It starts hovering just in time to prevent sinking.  Works in Kama City. Works on bad bridges. An upgrade to our Smooth Cruiser.

straddleregion_001.thumb.jpg.9276cfa7dd23a5bc8b84e4bfeff9fecd.jpg

On top of a region crossing in Horizons

You can ride this bike along the edge of a unsupported region crossing, weave back and forth, whatever. This boundary is Horizons Thule - Horizons Apollo.  Almost every house there is vacant and owned by LIFE properties.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now