Jump to content
Spyario

A little help would be lovely. Been rping for 8 years however I cant grasp this format !

Recommended Posts

First of all I would like to thank you for actually taking the time to read this post. As i understand newbies can be rather annoying at times :D

My efforts to rp have been , well lets say not the best.

I spent about 3 hours trying to find people on the maps only to get to the dots and see that they did not pop up in the little "Near chat box" I messaged multiple people asking if they could give me aid but Unfortunately no one replied. I am a extremely experienced role-player as iv been doing description rp for about 8 years now. I would love it if someone invited me into there rp community and mentored me as such , whether that be outside rp or inside role-play. Really looking for some guidance. My go to rps are mostly medieval , combat, mystical creatures and some history of Greek rp. Once again thank you for taking the time to read this and if you reply to the forum I am even more so greatful :) !  Really looking for a good little community to make some really good rp plots with  ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to SL, first let me clarify some things:

  1. Those green dots are a projection of 3d space on a 2D map. They could be anywhere like in a skybox (a hovering building way up in the air) at 4000 meters of height...
  2. Messaging people might not be a good idea, many consider that rude. Try staying in local chat and only IM them it you ahve good reasons (those might vary, yeah helps a lot, I know ;))
  3. Not all in SL is RP. We have e-sports, artists and weirder stuff going on as well, and a lot of them do not like being reminded it could be seen as a game by others.

You might want to visit some of the newbie infohubs like Firestorm Social or University of Caledon Oxbridge. I would reccomend the latter for you as they might have some hints on Victorian/Steampunk Roleplay communities, but visist both and chat with the helpers there... and visit other places too.

Hang out in different spots, try finding stuff you enjoy in SL -  you could be surprised by yourself, I now enjoy virtual railroading - and do not let the "I have no idea what I could even do"-feeling discourage you. We all went through this, either you like it or you don't but unfortunately to find out what you could like you will need some days of experience until you understand the limits and possibilities of SL ...

 

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

Welcome to SL, first let me clarify some things:

  1. Those green dots are a projection of 3d space on a 2D map. They could be anywhere like in a skybox (a hovering building way up in the air) at 4000 meters of height...
  2. Messaging people might not be a good idea, many consider that rude. Try staying in local chat and only IM them it you ahve good reasons (those might vary, yeah helps a lot, I know ;))
  3. Not all in SL is RP. We have e-sports, artists and weirder stuff going on as well, and a lot of them do not like being reminded it could be seen as a game by others.

You might want to visit some of the newbie infohubs like Firestorm Social or University of Caledon Oxbridge. I would reccomend the latter for you as they might have some hints on Victorian/Steampunk Roleplay communities, but visist both and chat with the helpers there... and visit other places too.

Hang out in different spots, try finding stuff you enjoy in SL -  you could be surprised by yourself, I now enjoy virtual railroading - and do not let the "I have no idea what I could even do"-feeling discourage you. We all went through this, either you like it or you don't but unfortunately to find out what you could like you will need some days of experience until you understand the limits and possibilities of SL ...

 

Thank you ever so much for replying.  And wow may just explain why I could never find anyone in the nearchat box, Actually made me feel crazy. And I hope it was not considered rude. All I was asking if there was  explanation with everyone was invisible. And I will defiantly take a look into them places in minute.  And I have noticed people take SL very seriously.  Thank you ever so much for replying <3 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Spyario said:

And I hope it was not considered rude. All I was asking if there was  explanation with everyone was invisible.

Maybe crazy because they did not consider your situation... but we can read avatar age in profiles (one of the few things you cannot hide) so most will just shrug and say "oh my - a newb" if they even were on their keyboards ;)

PS: I IMed you the Location Landmarks of those two locations I recommended inworld.

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Spyario said:

My efforts to rp have been , well lets say not the best.

Okay...

11 hours ago, Spyario said:

I spent about 3 hours trying to find people on the maps only to get to the dots and see that they did not pop up in the little "Near chat box"

As an expansion on what Fionalein said... An SL sim is 256 x 256 m, and 4 KM high. Local chat range for normal speech is... 20 m. Think 3D.

11 hours ago, Spyario said:

I am a extremely experienced role-player as iv been doing description rp for about 8 years now

Truthfully, that's more "writing fan fiction in installments on a forum" than RP... In SL, you'll hear people talking of "Para-RP" or often just "Para".

SL allows the use of a maximum of 1024 characters per chat entry, Paras try to use all of this with every single emote. This is not a good idea, people get bored waiting 10 mins for typed 1024 character Para a reply to "Hello"...

Useful things to know...

When typing in local chat, or an IM, if you start the line with "/me", the system puts the text in italics as an "emoted action"

So...

/me shoots the Para Fascist in the head with her 6.66 mm GS-17 High Velocity Pistol

Becomes...

Klytyna shoots the Para Fascist in the head with her 6.66 mm GS-17 High Velocity Pistol

...

You will probably be encouraged to join the Para party, and spam chat with walls of text, and told dismissively that "Bullet" RP is stupid, etc., but seriously, you really should make an effort to learn a LESS "descriptive" style in SL, for example, since your avatar will be wearing clothing and accoutrements, there is NO NEED to rabbit on for 5 paragraphs about what you are wearing, since people can SEE you walk across the room, there is NO NEED for 2 paragraphs to say you walked across the room.

Also...

Emoting for others... Rude...

/me walks into the room in her ruby encrusted platinum Leet Para Trash RP Armour of In-Character Invincible Awesomsauce, and says in a loud, clear, voice, "Good morning Para Trash, I am here, bow down before the one you serve, you're gonna get what you deserve..." and smiles as all of you turn, stare in subservient awe and bow instantly...

...

Don't do stuff like that in SL, it's far too common already.

Hope that helps...

Welcome to SL.




 

Edited by Klytyna
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HO Klytyna erm I have been RL-RPGing myslef since I was 16... can you please enlighten me what this para is supposed to be, is it something the SLers dragged in from IRC RPG channels or is it an SL phenomenon? I honestly have no idea what it stands for and keep hearing it all the time and of course the SL weirdos always asume we know what they are talking about...

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fionalein said:

HO Klytyna erm I have been RL-RPGing myslef since I was 16... can you please enlighten me what this para is supposed to be, is it something the SLers dragged in from IRC RPG channels or is it an SL phenomenon? I honestly have no idea what it stands for and keep hearing it all the time and of course the SL weirdos always asume we know what they are talking about...

Para-graph RP...

It appears to be a style adapted from those powergamer godmod RP forums, where people post wall of text "sod you I always win" "descriptive Rp" posts on long rambling threads, as opposed to "bullet RP" where people keep their responses dynamic and down to one or two lines, and "semi-para" where Paras "limit themselves" somewhat reluctantly to "only" 5 or 6 lines per emote.

Para types tend to go on about "crafting a story" and imagining that they are talented fiction writers. You'll also see posts on the threads here, where some Para announces that the sim they used to be a 'lead' on has closed and that they are now taking applications for 'lead roles' in YOUR story, please IM their theatrical agent to arrange auditions and discuss fees/royalties...

*cough*

Scroll back through some of the threads here to middle of last year, you'll find some of these self styled "RP Leading Cast Member" types touting for work.


 


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Klytyna said:

Emoting for others... Rude...

Meta is rude, but often they don't realise they do it. Sometimes a little training will help them realise they did it, sometimes it's useful as a good indicator to just move away from that player. It is, however more common in "slab of text and an an epistle to boot" roleplay then in the quick rapidfire style I prefer.

As I write this, one of my subs drops 485 words (2348 characters on me) so, time to reply with a simple "No" reposnse, and get another 15 free minutes to browse the forums. HA!

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

Meta is rude, but often they don't realise they do it. Sometimes a little training will help them realise they did it, sometimes it's useful as a good indicator to just move away from that player. It is, however more common in "slab of text and an an epistle to boot" roleplay then in the quick rapidfire style I prefer.

As I write this, one of my subs drops 485 words (2348 characters on me) so, time to reply with a simple "No" reposnse, and get another 15 free minutes to browse the forums. HA!

 

 

Honestly id hate to come across rude. Wow Iv have been rping for about 8 years and iv never come across so many new styles that I am yet to learn :D I think i just stuck to desc and bullet point rp, never heard of so many variations 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

Sometimes a little training will help them realise they did it,

Training... Yeah, now where did I put that training device... Oh here it is!

5afd5658ddd94_GS-Mk176-66mmWIP-04.thumb.jpg.3b0827d6e368ac18423cc83cf99926a0.jpg

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16.5.2018 at 12:53 AM, Spyario said:

And I hope it was not considered rude. All I was asking if there was  explanation with everyone was invisible. And I will defiantly take a look into them places in minute.

Don't worry too much. If they were hiding up in the sky well away from the rp area and not replying to IMs at all, there's a good chance they were bots or afk alts logged on to make the sim look busy. They are not easily offended.

In my experience, actual active role players are eager enough to recruit new players, they'll take the time to at least give you some hints where to go to get more info.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sadly, the majority of places which try to sell themselves off as "roleplay" in SL these days rather seem to consist of "themed living" communities or wannabe first person shooters, so you have to dig deep to really find a gemstone.

There used to be pages and inworld centers like https://worpg.com/about/ which offered a variety of links to roleplay communities. 
That kind of advertisement has mostly moved to recruiting / PR inworld groups where owners post a brief description and a landmark to their place. If you enter the term "roleplay" into the inworld search, it should show you the major bigger groups of that nature.
Those may also help you to find more people with common interest.

Right now and till Saturday, the SciFi Con is still going on, with participants of the Star Trek and Star Wars roleplay franchise and a few others, if that suits you.

Lately, there has also been an ad posting for a promising looking historic setting on these boards...

Last but not least, the meaning of "para roleplay" appears to differ in its definition, ranging from posts just barely above the "mmmm baby ur hot" oneliner to full blown "here's a whole chapter of storyline which I typed during the last half an hour, while you patiently browsed the marketplace" posts.
It might be a good idea to keep one's own style as flexible as possible to adjust to any new RP partner.

PS: Don't worry too much about potentially stepping onto someone's virtual toes and hurt their feelings. Some special snowflakes are easily offended by anything and anyone, others couldn't care less about the very same act. Mute in order to ignore someone is always your friend.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

Sadly, the majority of places which try to sell themselves off as "roleplay" in SL these days rather seem to consist of "themed living" communities or wannabe first person shooters, so you have to dig deep to really find a gemstone.

There used to be pages and inworld centers like https://worpg.com/about/ which offered a variety of links to roleplay communities. 
That kind of advertisement has mostly moved to recruiting / PR inworld groups where owners post a brief description and a landmark to their place. If you enter the term "roleplay" into the inworld search, it should show you the major bigger groups of that nature.
Those may also help you to find more people with common interest.

Right now and till Saturday, the SciFi Con is still going on, with participants of the Star Trek and Star Wars roleplay franchise and a few others, if that suits you.

Lately, there has also been an ad posting for a promising looking historic setting on these boards...

Last but not least, the meaning of "para roleplay" appears to differ in its definition, ranging from posts just barely above the "mmmm baby ur hot" oneliner to full blown "here's a whole chapter of storyline which I typed during the last half an hour, while you patiently browsed the marketplace" posts.
It might be a good idea to keep one's own style as flexible as possible to adjust to any new RP partner.

PS: Don't worry too much about potentially stepping onto someone's virtual toes and hurt their feelings. Some special snowflakes are easily offended by anything and anyone, others couldn't care less about the very same act. Mute in order to ignore someone is always your friend.

Yes I did notice there was a scfi theme going on in SL at the moment. I think my biggest issue right now is trying to figure out the game as a whole , as I walk into rps and they have a apply section , and some sort of card but no way to send it or something, If you know what I mean. Its really hard to find a rp community that was as tight knitted as one as I knew from 2012 to 2015 on another platform.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Spyario said:

Yes I did notice there was a scfi theme going on in SL at the moment. I think my biggest issue right now is trying to figure out the game as a whole , as I walk into rps and they have a apply section , and some sort of card but no way to send it or something, If you know what I mean. Its really hard to find a rp community that was as tight knitted as one as I knew from 2012 to 2015 on another platform.

You and me both. I was on another site a lot, constantly doing RP. I come here, thought I found a place, and they kick me out for being different. 9_9 lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Usually, you fill out a notecard with your character details and either drop it into a "mailbox" or onto the profile of an admin mentioned somewhere in the RP info. "Drop" as in "drag the notecard from your inventory onto the object / the person's opened profile".

Take your time, explore more of SL in its total, look out for a few general classes to help you get along ... becoming part of a tiight knitted crew will take its time as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/16/2018 at 8:46 AM, Klytyna said:

Para-graph RP...

It appears to be a style adapted from those powergamer godmod RP forums, where people post wall of text "sod you I always win" "descriptive Rp" posts on long rambling threads, as opposed to "bullet RP" where people keep their responses dynamic and down to one or two lines, and "semi-para" where Paras "limit themselves" somewhat reluctantly to "only" 5 or 6 lines per emote.

Para types tend to go on about "crafting a story" and imagining that they are talented fiction writers. You'll also see posts on the threads here, where some Para announces that the sim they used to be a 'lead' on has closed and that they are now taking applications for 'lead roles' in YOUR story, please IM their theatrical agent to arrange auditions and discuss fees/royalties...

*cough*

Scroll back through some of the threads here to middle of last year, you'll find some of these self styled "RP Leading Cast Member" types touting for work.


 


 

While I agree that para RP is ill suited for SL, I was a part of a forum RP for many years that was para based and nothing like what you describe.  There are good ones out there.  We were all laid back too.  I do have a hard time adjusting to SL RP, though, as it is very dialogue heavy and so time consuming.  Taking care of an infant means I need a lot more flexibility time wise for RP.

That being said... OP  I would pull up Google for some of the sims you are looking at.  Try and find some events that may be going on.  Then you'll be able to better determine when larger groups of people will be on.  You'll be able to get a sense of the environment before settling in on a solid character yourself. I, too, would love to have a go to group.  I miss RP.  But it's not in my cards right now.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2018 at 6:16 AM, Klytyna said:

Training... Yeah, now where did I put that training device... Oh here it is!

5afd5658ddd94_GS-Mk176-66mmWIP-04.thumb.jpg.3b0827d6e368ac18423cc83cf99926a0.jpg

 

i once had a persistant friend bugging me for sex. i tried to make it clear i wasn't interested but he still went on. finally i emoted that i pulled out a gun and shot him

he didnt get the hint so i pulled out a gun and shot him

i love life enabled sims

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/16/2018 at 8:46 AM, Klytyna said:

Para-graph RP...

It appears to be a style adapted from those powergamer godmod RP forums, where people post wall of text "sod you I always win" "descriptive Rp" posts on long rambling threads, as opposed to "bullet RP" where people keep their responses dynamic and down to one or two lines, and "semi-para" where Paras "limit themselves" somewhat reluctantly to "only" 5 or 6 lines per emote.

Para types tend to go on about "crafting a story" and imagining that they are talented fiction writers. You'll also see posts on the threads here, where some Para announces that the sim they used to be a 'lead' on has closed and that they are now taking applications for 'lead roles' in YOUR story, please IM their theatrical agent to arrange auditions and discuss fees/royalties...

*cough*

Scroll back through some of the threads here to middle of last year, you'll find some of these self styled "RP Leading Cast Member" types touting for work.


 


 

Bahaha. I was about to respond to this, and then saw the "Professional Cynic" title. 

 

To the OP. I wouldn't get so worked up on people's opinions and styles of how RP should or shouldn't be done. People have different tastes and that's what it all comes down to. For me personally, Para RP helps me get further immersed into the setting of a story in whatever sim it is. Some people don't care for the extra detail. But there is a lot of things that someone can convey through para RP that can't be conveyed through your run of the mill one-liners. Touch. Taste. Senses. Even emotion and thoughts that just won't ever be conveyed through robotic avatars (though SL technology has come along way with making them appear more lifelike!). Its a careful balance. I enjoy reading about what one character might be thinking, that helps clue you into to the emotions of a character. THe same was as a I reader, I like discovering new characters as a book. You get people who would rather do this organically the way you would meet another person in real life, and ask them. And thats all well and good. But I look at Roleplay in Second Life the way I look at a book. I like reading my way in from that fourth wall. Getting a perspective as a player, that my character may never ever get.

 

The reason why there has to be a good balance is for many reasons. As a narrator, its important to convey character thought as just that, character thought/emotion, as opposed to narrating as fact.  What this means is that nothing will irritate me more than seeing someone post, "John laughs at Ricky Bobby. If Ricky so much as tried to attack him, he would put him down in an instant. What a fool." This is ***** thought posting. Absolute garbage. A better example would be, "John grew silent at the threat made towards him. He had no desire to fight, and this was reflected in his body language as he passively stepped away from the angry man. But he was ready to stand his ground if need be, and was certain that Ricky Bobby would get far more fight than the man initially bargained for." So the later example would be naratting as a third party, but keeping actions, thoughts in perspective of the character itself, rather than stating something as fact as a narrator.

Again, some people HATE Para RP. They're entitled to their opinions. One is not better than the other. People God Mod and Meta Game from either side of the fence. It all comes down to personal taste. Welcome to the community, and if you're interested in Medieval Roleplay, I'd highly recommend checking out one of the following sims: Chronicles of Lynnea, Realms of Ice and Fire, and Comraich. I've not really tried anything else in the genre that is still around, there might be a few others out there. And YES, those sims typically have the style of "Para RP". So it might be worth taking a look in as an observer and seeing if it is for you. Also, local chat distances are 20 meters, so keep that in mind when trying to RP with others. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, gaelicwarlord151 said:

Bahaha. I was about to respond to this, and then saw the "Professional Cynic" title. 

That's Klytyna.  She's like that all the time. She's amusing and harmless.

Again, some people HATE Para RP. 

There's this big visual world in front of you, and the action goes on while you're composing your paragraph. While you can do paragraph RP in SL, the world won't always wait for you. SL inherently favors LARP style over para RP style. SL tends to be paced at real-world time. You can sit down around a table in SL and para RP just fine if you want, though.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's no wrong way to RP in SL, or outside of SL. Just try different things and do what you find fun. There's no need to hate on any one style, you can find different places for different types and people who like one thing or another.

But yeah para RP can be pretty awesome and it works just fine in SL. It makes a perfect combination of visuals and imagination, imo. Doesn't mean everyone has to enjoy it, but it's pretty silly to say it's boring or doesn't work in SL when there's evidently a lot of people who are doing it and having fun.

Really though, best way is always to go out and try things, ask people in whatever sim you're visiting how they do it and if they can show you. Can try groups like Seeking Roleplay and Roleplay Finder where people advertise their sims and RP communities, the group chats can be a place to ask questions too and get to know other people looking for somewhere to play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...