Land auctions out of stock .

lella Morigi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2134 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, Hintswen Guardian said:

That's what I keep saying, but as I've also said sniping is not practical or possible for all users. I for example cannot be online when auctions are ending.

It is very possible for every single user. It may not be practical in the sense that you end up paying a little more but in the end, if you really did want the land whats a couple hundred or thousand L's more?

As I said earlier in this thread:

That's because you as a bidder can set a max bid. Say, the current bid is 500L and you are willing top pay up to 5000L for the land. You can put your max bid at 5000L and each time someone bids on your lot, you automatically bid too until the max bid goes above 5000L so above the max bid you have placed.

It's a good system for those who may not be there due to work/vacation/family obligations whatsoever by the time the bidding ends. This way they still have a chance to get the parcel without needing to refresh every 5 minutes to see if they've been outbid.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Syn Anatine said:

On 5/17/2018 at 9:41 PM, Hintswen Guardian said:

Except entering a high bid early can cause the land to sell for higher than it would have if you entered your bid during the final hour.

There are numerous studies to back up this claim as well.

Edited by Hintswen Guardian
Fixed spelling error.

6 hours ago, Hintswen Guardian said:

There are numerous studies to back up this claim as well.

Which is exactly what I mentioned before quoting myself.

8 hours ago, Syn Anatine said:

It is very possible for every single user. It may not be practical in the sense that you end up paying a little more but in the end, if you really did want the land whats a couple hundred or thousand L's more?

It's not practical for a land flipper looking for profit, but it certainly is for another person who simply wants the land and is willing to shell out a few more bucks for convenience.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, AviNews said:

Ya know, don’t cha? That a couple hundred L$ ain’t worth hardly nuttin’ now~a~daze!!

O.o

Extra convenience hardly comes free nowadays whether that's paying for overnight express instead of heaving to wait two days more for a package or well, if you play any online game 'pay for convenience' is a games #1 income source.

Edited by Syn Anatine
typos
  • Sad 1

I can see that if you're trying to eek out some meagre profit from land-flipping, it probably matters. If, on the other hand, you're just looking for a parcel, bid what you want to pay for it whenever you want to bid. Let the land-flippers' bid it up at the last minute, but if you were realistic in your bid, you'll win anyway, or the land-flipper will end up taking a bath on the parcel.

It's true that bidding early will attract attention to the parcel, more folks will bid, you won't be able to get it for a song. Tough. You just have to be willing to pay a fair price rather than hoping for some windfall of cheap land.

• Thanks 1

One of the things I've noticed is that the practice of sniping is still very much alive and well on the auctions. Sometimes before that rare occasion before I bid on these auctions -- and only to "save the view" near my rentals or get prim land -- I IM some of the top land barons and tell them I'm going to bid on this land and ask them if they plan to bid themselves. And the better ones either say yes or no, but upon finding out you need it, they withdraw, because they don't need one more parcel that's been bid up on the auctions.

But there are still those who crazily bid things up out of some macho posture on the land market or who knows, and after days of zero or little activity, a parcel that is not worth more than $2 and is now already at $5 seems like "no one else will bother" but just in case, you double your bid because of the sniping problem. And sure enough, literally in the last split second before you refresh the page, someone snipes and you see that last bid -- which failed this time, but another time, it doesn't fail.

There's nothing to be done about this because if you had a rule that bids locked 15 seconds before the end, people would merely snipe then and not 1 second before. But there's another deterrent that the old auction system had which the Lindens dumped when they adapted this E-bay software. And that was the PUBLIC RECORD OF BIDS which I think should be restored. Then you can see the name of the avatar who does the sniping and who persistently bids up land. That helps you never to buy land from that person, ban them, boycott their products etc and helps them stop that bad behavior. Sure, they can put alts on this task, but sooner or later the alts are connected, and you had merely to go to the parcel and see them exchange the land between accounts.

Now you have no idea who bid what and when. And that enables the same view to keep driving up prices through wild bid-ups and sniping.

2 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Now you have no idea who bid what and when. And that enables the same view to keep driving up prices through wild bid-ups and sniping.

Erm... what exactley keeps you from going there and noting the owner name? Sure they could have sold it meanwhile it but I bet it is a pattern of the same persons again and again...

Then again noting their name on a piece of paper without asking might violate the GDPR... :D

7 hours ago, Fionalein said:

Erm... what exactley keeps you from going there and noting the owner name? Sure they could have sold it meanwhile it but I bet it is a pattern of the same persons again and again...

Then again noting their name on a piece of paper without asking might violate the GDPR... :D

Oh, things like sleeping (sometimes I have to work nights and sleep days) or RL jobs -- so I can't be here at noon SL time when the auctions conclude, or at least many of them seem to. Also, you'd have to be already waiting on site to "catch" the owner, because sometimes they have bots or they are simply very quick at flipping.

So that's not practical. You'd have to have a dedicated team of people on different time zones and so on to band together and get "on" all these purchases and make a report. And remember, this used to be done AUTOMATICALLY and PUBLICLY without all this contrivance. So you're trolling.

Um, reporting on what an avatar is doing in a virtual world in a free and open public place as a violation of the GDPR?! I hardly think so. 

If there's some disadvantage to making the bidder's identity public for all bids, I'm not seeing it. Although that change seems unlikely, what would be the downside? I mean, if a bidder really wanted to stay anonymous for some reason, they could simply use an under-the-radar Premium alt. On the other hand, there are plenty of times it would be helpful to all involved if we could know that a neighbor is already bidding, so we don't drive up their price; any other bidder would probably lose against them anyway. (If there are obvious neighbors of a parcel I'm thinking of bidding on, and if there's time before the auction closes, I try to contact them to see if they're interested; there's just no reason to buy land out from under from a neighbor.)

11 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

If there's some disadvantage to making the bidder's identity public for all bids, I'm not seeing it. Although that change seems unlikely, what would be the downside? I mean, if a bidder really wanted to stay anonymous for some reason, they could simply use an under-the-radar Premium alt. On the other hand, there are plenty of times it would be helpful to all involved if we could know that a neighbor is already bidding, so we don't drive up their price; any other bidder would probably lose against them anyway. (If there are obvious neighbors of a parcel I'm thinking of bidding on, and if there's time before the auction closes, I try to contact them to see if they're interested; there's just no reason to buy land out from under from a neighbor.)

I could see someone possibly bidding on land because they see someone they dislike wants it however I agree, I would much rather know who is bidding because I regularly get land put up for auction and if I knew a neighbor (or someone who owns land in the region) wants it, I wouldn't bid on it. I can always find land somewhere else.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2134 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.