Lydia Alberti

Upload mesh to blender but when rezzed, it rezzes above the ground and not on the floor

Posted (edited)

I've looked in the forums for answers, but haven't had any luck. I've created a mesh in blender and exported via selection into SL. I have multiple prims in that mesh that aren't linked. Before exporting into SL, I applied the location, rotation and scale to the mesh, at the origin. So when I rezzed the object into SL, the mesh is rezzed above ground, and not on the floor which is not what I was expecting. What do I need to do in blender so that when I rez in SL, the object rezzes on the ground and not mid-air?  I've uploaded images to show my settings in blender and the result in SL. 

ba958d07696efd9d48400394b048dc0d.png

a61a7a2a9b90335d2ee8e9d3b05fea1b.png

Edited by Lydia Alberti

As Pam says you may have a vertice that isn't really part of you build linked to it by mistake. That is the most obvious answer. Look at the PHYSICS (hopefully you at least used a cube for the physics model). That will tell you what is going on.  If you use Firestorm you can see the physic shape easily in the FEATURES tab of the build menu. 

Also unless there is a really good reason to upload as a linkset (complex animations that need exact placement to work) it is much better to JOIN your object first. That might not solve this issue if you have a stray vertices or even an edge which won't show up inworld but will cause this issue. 

The OTHER thing besides the stray vertex would be that the build has too many vertices in all and the uploader does some nasty things then. I had something long ago (falling fabric) and that was the problem The maxium is 22,000 or something (someone will chime in with the exact number -- except for that one instance I have never been in that area LOL).

What I have noticed is that from that first image, you can see there is a plane underneath the mesh. That is the mesh for the drop shadow. The problem is that when I upload it to SL and rez it, it rezzes mid-air, but if I solidify that plane so that it has thickness, it rezzes on the ground. 

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Lydia Alberti said:

but if I solidify that plane so that it has thickness, it rezzes on the ground. 

That is probably the answer.

Second Life can't really deal with zero thickness objects so it cheats a little bit and pretends they are 1 m thick.

Isn't it a bit wasteful to use a mesh for a simple drop shadow plane btw? Wouldn't it be better to use a prim for that?

Edited by ChinRey

Posted (edited)

Found a fix, I just linked the mesh in blender and applied the textures face by face.

But some mesh objects I can't join because I get the error "MAV_FOUND_DEGENERATE_TRIANGLES". I saw in the forums to do "mesh > clean up > degenerate dissolve" but the error is still there. Although I seemed to have solved that problem with "remove doubles" :)

Edited by Lydia Alberti