How do I make a full prim body? Any help would be appreciated!

Aerohalo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2142 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am looking to try to make my own prim body but I have no idea what I'm doing so figured I'd ask the community or those who have experience in making them in the past. So far I know it's just shapes and in blender not sure what im suppose to be scuplting. I know it's an old way to go about SL but I really want to learn this!

Edited by Aerohalo

Fionalein is complete correct :D but I am guessing you actually mean a MESH BODY like Signature or Maitreya etc.  In that case you need to learn ALL THE BASICS of Blender or another 3D modeling program. Once those become a breeze THEN you can move on to making a mesh body.

To actually make a PRIM body you would make a prim for each area of the body and attach time to that area  -- so "head", "pelvis", "forearm" etc. These will not be RIGGED to your body so some planning of your idea would be needed. This method was used long, long ago but usually not for complete bodies. 

8 minutes ago, Aerohalo said:

Im aware it's an old method but kinda why I am looking to learn it tho not sure what I'm specifically suppose to plan for...like making a rigged body I guess is the idea 

Learning how to ride a horse isn't useful if you're looking to drive a car - it's a completely different skill set.

Pretty sure making a prim/sculptie body is a fairly different process from making a mesh body. I don't think going all the way back to the old school method of prims and sculpties will really help you if what you want to make is a rigged body. A rigged body is mesh, and one method does not necessarily translate to the other. If that's your end goal, I would suggest, as Chic says, getting Blender or something like it and practicing making mesh there. Basics first. 

There are, of course, still object being made with prims and sculpts, and you can look up how to do that and, again, practice. But if your end goal is learning mesh, starting with the old school methods, which weren't typically used for full bodies anyway, is pretty much going the long, long way 'round.

I did look into mesh but can't afford avastar and I am playing with blender still learning what to do...figured some starting tips like i how would one go about it...I need to get something to better describe what I mean

There are other methods I'm sure but I just need tips and a little know how on a prim body...so blender, no blender, SL shapes...how does one do this...I know it's old but the internet is null and void on what to do that is not the current mesh model

Oh! Straight up my alley!

First, don't try a colossal body yet. Try making a prim body using just a standard system avatar with a normal height. You can always resize the prim body parts to mega size later.

Second, create or get a set of system avatar alpha layers. These make your system avatar body invisible.

Third, a prim body has to be made up of separate body parts. For example, to create prim arms you need to build a prim hand, prim forearm and a prim upper arm. You need to create a left and right set of arms which are not identically built. The arms are mirrored versions of each other. Also, you can't just make one system arm invisible. Both arms have to be made invisible.

Fourth, to actually make the body parts rez a cylinder prim (for now) on the ground (in a sandbox) and take it back into your inventory. In the objects folder, you will see the 'object' listed. Right click and choose 'attach to' which will give you a list of attachment points that correspond to each body part. You need to create and attach a cylinder prim to each main body part. So for each arm, you will 3 cylinder prims, 1 attached to the upper arm, 1 attached to forearm, and 1 attached to the hand. Rename each prim in your inventory to the corresponding body part they are attached to. 

Fifth, you cannot edit prims while attached to you. Detach each prim from your body and drag prims from your inventory folder to the ground. You can edit those prims by resizing, tapering, etc. Then you need to take back the prims into your inventory and try attaching them back to your body.

Sixth, creating the prim body will be a continuous process of editing on the ground and attaching to your body. 

Hope this helps! There is a lot more to do to get a complete body. Ask any questions here and I can try to answer.

Edited by Bree Giffen
  • Like 4

On 5/14/2018 at 3:34 PM, Aerohalo said:

Okay?...how do I do that? I am still looking at circles and squares so to speak don't even know how to add veins or anything...im guess I'm thinking too far ahead

To learn how to build with standard prims, visit The Ivory Tower Library of Primitives in Natoma.  They have a whole series of self-paced tutorials.  Coby's suggestion of getting a Primitar and taking it apart is a very good one. 

Fine details like veins and so on will most likely be part of the avatar's texturing, rather than 3D pieces.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2142 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.