Shanbo Baddingham

How to enable objects with no modify to remain that way when you give them to someone else

Question

Hello, I've made some things that have modify and copy permissions set.  But when I give them to someone else, when they rez it and take it back, the object they take back all of a sudden has no copy and no modify set on it.  That makes it difficult for them to modify it.

How do I set it so that when they rez it once and retake it, it remains no modify so they can retain whatever changes they made?

5 answers to this question

If a copy/mod item goes no copy/no mod after the next user rezzes it on the ground, that usually means that either one or more of the child prims in the linkset, or some of the contents (scripts, textures, animations etc.) are set to no copy/no mod.

Go through the items linkset with "edit linked" one prim at a time (use  crtl . and crtl , to move back and forth through the linked prims) and check the "next user permissions" on all the child prims as well as the root, also check the permissions on the contents. also make sure any textures you used making it are set with suitable permissions too, just to be on the safe side.

What @Klytyna says and also... (and I'll write for newbies understanding also):

Object permissions can be a confusing thing for those starting out with managing them. Even LL has changed the permissions widget to describe "Next Owner Can,,," and so on. Though there are a couple things to understand about them:

The three "priorities" of permissions are in the order of restriction:

Modify, Copy, Transfer (officially: "Transfer" is "Sell") - simple enough, we are all familiar with this. However, if there are other items in contents and those contain more restrictive permissions then the tighter restriction applies. For example:

A full permissions box that contains a no-modify, no transfer script will remain full permissions (except for the script inside). But when taken into inventory the entire object assumes the most restrictive permissions: no-mod, no-transfer. This is why the box must be rezzed to modify it in any way.

ALSO: There used to be a nasty bug in the permissions system (or it may be a safety feature, who knows?): Permissions changed to any item in inventory will NOT take effect until that item is rezzed or worn. For example:

I have created a box that is no-modify, no-transfer for the next owner. I take it into inventory. I realized I want to make it modifiable, so I get properties (while it is still in inventory) and turn on Modify.

If I pass that out to someone, it will remain NO-MODIFY. The reason is that when you change the permission of objects (this only seems to affect objects, by the way), it doesn't send the update to the asset server until that object is rezzed by the creator.

SO: try this: Rez your object in-world then change permissions. Take it back and pass it along and those new permissions should be locked in.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

I have created a box that is no-modify, no-transfer for the next owner. I take it into inventory. I realized I want to make it modifiable, so I get properties (while it is still in inventory) and turn on Modify.

If I pass that out to someone, it will remain NO-MODIFY. The reason is that when you change the permission of objects (this only seems to affect objects, by the way), it doesn't send the update to the asset server until that object is rezzed by the creator.

SO: try this: Rez your object in-world then change permissions. Take it back and pass it along and those new permissions should be locked in.

I was pretty sure that was incorrect (at least for me as I do it all the time and TEST afterwards with no issues --- gachas and such). 

I just did another test and in Firestorm this is not true at all. I sent to an alt that cannot edit my items (my testing alt). 

I didn't read the other comment as I bypass her writings these days but most of the time if their is a problem like this it because of something IN the box or inside the items if it is a single item that has different permissions. The only way to figure out what that is would be to inspect all the contents AND contents within the contents if that is the case. 

You CAN have no mod scipts and poses inside fully mod items that remain that way.  The item will SAY it is no-mod even when sent the first time but the ITEM will be modify (just not scripts or poses). Once modified by the second user it REMAINS modify after taking up and rezzing again.

Again, I JUST tested this right now. 

• Haha 1

Textures.

• Create a full-perm box.
  • Put your own no-copy texture on it.
  • Pass it to your alt.

This I the biggest "gotcha" with regard to next-owner permissions that snubs many creators. You see it all the time when you buy something that is copy permissions, but when rezzing the box to unpack it's removed from inventory and when copying the "Not copyable" warning appears. Then after copying the box turns plywood (sometimes not, though, hard to say what LL is doing behind the scenes anymore).

As for the bug, I did say "there *used to be*" - meaning, well... there used to be. I figured they may have fixed it by now, though when troubleshooting one should investigate all avenues if plausible, even if unlikely, right?