Jump to content
  • 0
MIVIMEX

What is the actual speed of flight or walking avatar?

Question

Hello! I need some help please! I'm trying to make a speedometer. Does anyone know what is the actual speed of the flight or walking avatar in the sl? I need to calibrate.
I tried two speedometers at the same time they show different numbers.

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

It's going to vary a bit depending on how laggy the region is, but the best way to find out is to set up two prims that are, say, 20m apart and see how long it takes to walk between them.  If you want to know exactly how long, put the same script in each one and listen...

default
{
    state_entry()
    {
        llVolumeDetect(TRUE);
    }

   collision_start(integer num)
    {
        llOwnerSay("Collision at " + (string)llGetTimeOfDay());
    }
}

The answer is in seconds, with microsecond precision.  So subtract one message from the other to get the lapsed time.

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

According to my home-made navigation HUD, which calculates speed from avatar positions over time, walking is about 3.2 m/s, running is about 5.12 m/s, and flying is about 16 m/s.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
46 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

It's going to vary a bit depending on how laggy the region is, but the best way to find out is to set up two prims that are, say, 20m apart and see how long it takes to walk between them.  If you want to know exactly how long, put the same script in each one and listen...

 

@Rolig Loon 

Thank you! it was a very interesting experiment!
I have numbers when walking: 

[10:33] Object: Collision at 88436.000000
[10:34] Object: Collision at 88442.420000
= ~   ̶6̶   3 meters per second


Then I translated the meters per second in kilometers per hour and I got such a value:  ̶2̶1̶   12 kph! (  ̶a̶s̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶m̶e̶ ̶i̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶t̶!̶ ̶) Its ok!

 

24 minutes ago, angeoco said:

According to my home-made navigation HUD, which calculates speed from avatar positions over time, walking is about 3.2 m/s, running is about 5.12 m/s, and flying is about 16 m/s.

@angeoco

Thank you!

I will have something to think about!

 

Edited by MIVIMEX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 minute ago, MIVIMEX said:

[10:33] Object: Collision at 88436.000000
[10:34] Object: Collision at 88442.420000
= ~  6 meters per second

Or 6.42 seconds for whatever the distance between the prims was.  If they were 20m apart, that's 20.0/6.42 = 3.12 m/sec, which is very close to what Angeoco says that her HUD told her. Not bad at all.  9_9

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
6 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Or 6.42 seconds for whatever the distance between the prims was.  If they were 20m apart, that's 20.0/6.42 = 3.12 m/sec, which is very close to what Angeoco says that her HUD told her. Not bad at all.  9_9

@angeoco  @Rolig Loon

Yes, pardon mistake , I recounted it turned out about 12 km per hour. Thanks again! One of my speedometers was right!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
2 hours ago, angeoco said:

.. flying is about 16 m/s.

Hmm, not bad.  I wonder what it is with Firestorm's Flight Assist - Mild, Moderate, and Strong Boost

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
5 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Hmm, not bad.  I wonder what it is with Firestorm's Flight Assist - Mild, Moderate, and Strong Boost

Fast enough to dash your brains out against a building.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 13.5.2018 at 7:39 PM, angeoco said:

According to my home-made navigation HUD, which calculates speed from avatar positions over time, walking is about 3.2 m/s

I haven't measured it but I know walking speed is about twice as fast as in RL so that sound about right.

Edited by ChinRey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 13/5/2018 at 8:43 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

Hmm, not bad.  I wonder what it is with Firestorm's Flight Assist - Mild, Moderate, and Strong Boost

I just realised my AO might have been turned on when I posted my figures, so I turned it off and (hoping nobody was watching my silly walk) tested again. This time I get walk 3.2, run 5.1, fly 16, mild boost 16-18, moderate boost 20-22, strong boost 21-25, all metres per second. The flying results vary a lot because of lag but those are the typical figures I got.

Edited by angeoco
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Per the wiki the fly speeds are:

image.png.11e3d80d4ea10aacd54a91ec4461e686.png

 

Firestorm has 3 fly speed boost modes.  I wonder how much faster each of those are over the normal speed noted in the wiki.  I sometimes turn on the super powerful boost when I want to fly up a long distance.   Of course, then I forget to turn it off and it takes a bit for me to figure out why I'm zooming so much.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I do love it that the wiki agrees with the in-world measurements that were reported at the top of this thread.  It affirms my faith in documentation.  😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...