What is the actual speed of flight or walking avatar?

MIVIMEX

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1939 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello! I need some help please! I'm trying to make a speedometer. Does anyone know what is the actual speed of the flight or walking avatar in the sl? I need to calibrate.
I tried two speedometers at the same time they show different numbers.

Thank you!

13 answers to this question

It's going to vary a bit depending on how laggy the region is, but the best way to find out is to set up two prims that are, say, 20m apart and see how long it takes to walk between them.  If you want to know exactly how long, put the same script in each one and listen...

{
    state_entry()
    {
        llVolumeDetect(TRUE);
    }

collision_start(integer num)
    {
        llOwnerSay("Collision at " + (string)llGetTimeOfDay());
    }
}

The answer is in seconds, with microsecond precision.  So subtract one message from the other to get the lapsed time.

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

It's going to vary a bit depending on how laggy the region is, but the best way to find out is to set up two prims that are, say, 20m apart and see how long it takes to walk between them.  If you want to know exactly how long, put the same script in each one and listen...

@Rolig Loon 

Thank you! it was a very interesting experiment!
I have numbers when walking: 

[10:33] Object: Collision at 88436.000000
[10:34] Object: Collision at 88442.420000
= ~   ̶6̶   3 meters per second

Then I translated the meters per second in kilometers per hour and I got such a value:  ̶2̶1̶   12 kph! (  ̶a̶s̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶m̶e̶ ̶i̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶t̶!̶ ̶) Its ok!

24 minutes ago, angeoco said:

According to my home-made navigation HUD, which calculates speed from avatar positions over time, walking is about 3.2 m/s, running is about 5.12 m/s, and flying is about 16 m/s.

@angeoco

Thank you!

I will have something to think about!

Edited by MIVIMEX

1 minute ago, MIVIMEX said:

[10:33] Object: Collision at 88436.000000
[10:34] Object: Collision at 88442.420000
= ~  6 meters per second

Or 6.42 seconds for whatever the distance between the prims was.  If they were 20m apart, that's 20.0/6.42 = 3.12 m/sec, which is very close to what Angeoco says that her HUD told her. Not bad at all.  9_9

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Or 6.42 seconds for whatever the distance between the prims was.  If they were 20m apart, that's 20.0/6.42 = 3.12 m/sec, which is very close to what Angeoco says that her HUD told her. Not bad at all.  9_9

@angeoco  @Rolig Loon

Yes, pardon mistake , I recounted it turned out about 12 km per hour. Thanks again! One of my speedometers was right!

• Like 1

On 13.5.2018 at 7:39 PM, angeoco said:

According to my home-made navigation HUD, which calculates speed from avatar positions over time, walking is about 3.2 m/s

I haven't measured it but I know walking speed is about twice as fast as in RL so that sound about right.

Edited by ChinRey

On 13/5/2018 at 8:43 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

Hmm, not bad.  I wonder what it is with Firestorm's Flight Assist - Mild, Moderate, and Strong Boost

I just realised my AO might have been turned on when I posted my figures, so I turned it off and (hoping nobody was watching my silly walk) tested again. This time I get walk 3.2, run 5.1, fly 16, mild boost 16-18, moderate boost 20-22, strong boost 21-25, all metres per second. The flying results vary a lot because of lag but those are the typical figures I got.

Edited by angeoco
  • Like 1

Per the wiki the fly speeds are:

image.png.11e3d80d4ea10aacd54a91ec4461e686.png

Firestorm has 3 fly speed boost modes.  I wonder how much faster each of those are over the normal speed noted in the wiki.  I sometimes turn on the super powerful boost when I want to fly up a long distance.   Of course, then I forget to turn it off and it takes a bit for me to figure out why I'm zooming so much.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1939 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.