Shadows caused by eyelashes

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2151 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If you dont mind to weaken other gentle shadows too, slider shadow bias can solve that, or at least to make it acceptable.

Advanced level for solving bigger issues is to combine it with sliders for WL, to move east position and/or to change day time to reach better position of shadows, but in many cases the shadow bias is enough. This example was done witht this slider only, I didn't change WL. As you can see, the main shadow stays, so its still possible to make some face-shadows effect. 

shadows1.jpg

shadows2.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

"The other girl is a Brandy. Her date is a Clint. Brandy and Clint are both popular, off-the-shelf models. When white-trash high school girls are going on a date in the Metaverse, they invariably run down to the computer-games section of the local Wal-Mart and buy a copy of Brandy. The user can select three breast sizes: improbable, impossible, and ludicrous. Brandy has a limited repertoire of facial expressions: cute and pouty; cute and sultry; perky and interested; smiling and receptive; cute and spacy. Her eyelashes are half an inch long, and the software is so cheap that they are rendered as solid ebony chips. When a Brandy flutters her eyelashes, you can almost feel the breeze."

"Snow Crash", Neil Stephenson, 1992. The book on which Second Life is based.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, animats said:

"The other girl is a Brandy. Her date is a Clint. Brandy and Clint are both popular, off-the-shelf models. When white-trash high school girls are going on a date in the Metaverse, they invariably run down to the computer-games section of the local Wal-Mart and buy a copy of Brandy. The user can select three breast sizes: improbable, impossible, and ludicrous. Brandy has a limited repertoire of facial expressions: cute and pouty; cute and sultry; perky and interested; smiling and receptive; cute and spacy. Her eyelashes are half an inch long, and the software is so cheap that they are rendered as solid ebony chips. When a Brandy flutters her eyelashes, you can almost feel the breeze."

Intentional full quote...

In the greater context, you are probably on a "I'm still all worked up because my thread got deleted". But in this specific case, I can't find that quote remotely funny nor bring up any compassion. I just find it as a plain and uncalled for insult to the OP and pretty much everyone who dresses up their avatar.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

55 minutes ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

I just find it as a plain and uncalled for insult to the OP and pretty much everyone who dresses up their avatar.

No, I'm just amused when something in SL replicates a detail mentioned in the original Snow Crash. Stephenson was quite prescient about the strengths and weaknesses of big virtual worlds. If you're an SL user and haven't read the book, you should. In comparison, Ready Player One was just an excuse for an action movie.

(Last year Amazon announced plans to make Snow Crash into a video series, but that project seems to be stuck in development again. No news in months.)

3 hours ago, animats said:

"...the Manic-Depressive-90's-Cyberpunk-Genre (tm) book on which the Noob-Messiah's misconceptions of SecondLife are based..."

There, I fixed that for you...

1 hour ago, animats said:

announced plans to make Snow Crash into a video series, but that project seems to be stuck in development again. No news in months

Good, the world doesn't need a game of some obscure book most people don't care about, where you'd have a limited selection of crap avatars, with no customisation options, with a "pay-to-win" model for exactly how crap your lootbox "winners-avatar" looked...

There are enough of those sorts of systems already, and most do it better, go play ABP on Steam maybe. Urban-Thug-Wannabe street combat with optional RP, with a selection of "custom build from a fixed set of pieces" style avatar creation, with lootbox addons for LEETNESS!

6 hours ago, Klytyna said:

where you'd have a limited selection of crap avatars, with no customization options

In the  book, good avatars were a status symbol and either expensive or required a good creator. That's mesh avatars in SL.

4 hours ago, animats said:

In the  book, good avatars were a status symbol and either expensive or required a good creator. That's mesh avatars in SL.

Does it also have characters that make everyone else roll their eyes and pretend to do something else when they show up?

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Does it also have characters that make everyone else roll their eyes and pretend to do something else when they show up?

Yep.

"... black-and-white people -- persons who are accessing the Metaverse through cheap public terminals, and who are rendered in jerky, grainy black and white. ... There's one black-and-white who stands out because he's taller than the rest.The Street protocol states that your avatar can't be any taller than you are.This is to prevent people from walking around a mile high. Besides, if this guy's using a pay terminal -- which he must be, to judge from the image quality-- it can't jazz up his avatar. It just shows him the way he is, except not as well. Talking to a black-and-white on the Street is like talking to a person who has his face stuck in a xerox machine, repeatedly pounding the copy button, while you stand by the output tray pulling the sheets out one at a time and looking at them."

• Thanks 1

what i do now is turn shadow bias all the way up and kick it back incrementally until the eyelash shadows disappear and the hair shadows and everything else stays

new ex below

now i just need to figure out how to solve the blockey shadows that happen when you try to take pictures at certain angles in relation to the light source

f164cec55ac88dd1124fea90c9a6a136.jpg

Edited by germ0742
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2151 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.