How much does land cost/ cheapest?

EjeFief

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2167 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

For several years now, I have wanted my own land. I have heard of cases where people are paying $100 of real money a month to have virtual land... Am I misinformed or is that true? Considering I make a couple dollars over minimum wage I can't afford something like that. How much does land actually cost? Can a premium account offer land? I just want a fairly small piece of land I can build my own house and yard in, I don't need anything insane in scale.

I'm sure this was answered elsewhere, but I couldn't seem to find it.

Thanks in advance.

Your best bet is likely a YEARLY Premium account. Your tier on a 1024 lot is then free. The lot could cost from almost nothing to many thousands  of linden but there are plenty of reasonable ones.  The other option would be a Linden home. These are getting redone hopefully this year and most of us "assume" that they will turn into 1024 lots with houses :D.

With a Premium membership you get a FREE home, (plus the stipend weekly pay returned to you, which is a diff subject)

now land is a more confusing. You don’t need to take the Linden Home( on it’s land) .... you can ‘buy’ a lot.  Lot prices vary... waters edge is expensive, inland mainland is selling for L$500 - L$1000 for a 512m2. That’s a one time cost for either... as buying from the previous owner. 

The monthly fee (tier) is paid to LL.. for system upkeep costs. Right now you get Free tier for land up to 1024m2, so no extra charge beyond premium membership fee. 

If you own/buy more than 1024m2,  from other owners, then you’ll start paying monthly tier to LL. In addition to premium membership fee

Clear as MUD!!!

Edited by AviNews

I wrote a couple of lengthy posts on reddit recently, Why you should pay for annual membership and Why spending $100US on land isn't as crazy as it might sound.

The most important point right off the bat is pay for your membership annually if you can, quarterly if you can't.

As soon as you get premium, get yourself a free linden home, it will only use half your allowed teir, it wont be great, but it's a start and will take the heat off finding a place to live. When you're ready to move out, abandon it.

Take your time looking for nice land and keep an eye on the auctions . Always consider the location, what are your neighbors like (and who are you sharing region resources with).

The best advice I can offer for starting out with land in SL .. is don't do it alone.

You can get as low as 50c a month on mainland with premium (if you sell everything back that is) , how much they pay a month depends on what they own. 

Mainland tier scales with size, $100 a month would get you half region of 32000ish sqm. I have about one and half region so I pay just above 200 a month. 

https://secondlife.com/land/pricing.php

As for the down payment to buy, no need to spend more than 2L per sqm. There are always owners going into liquidation mode so you can always find something for good price especially if they are under financial pressure. Grimmy, but hey, cheap land is good.

Edited by iamyourneighbour

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2167 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.